Is the upgrade to windows 10 worth it? Have stupid questions

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 12:29 pm

Earlier today I got the thing on my task bar to upgrade to windows 10. I'm on windows 7 at the moment and I believe it's a free upgrade to 7, 8, and 8.1 but only for a year and after that you have to pay?

But I'm just so used to 7. I do prefer the task bar on vista but the upgrade from vista to 7 wasn't so much because they were basically the same except the task bar. And XP to vista wasn't so much different either. But windows 10 just looks completely different.

So I guess what I'm asking is: is there any reason to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7? There any advantages? Or is it fine just leaving it how it is?

Also, can an idiot do it? I don't want to f**k up my computer in the process and I've heard that people come across a lot of errors when doing it. Will you lose any documents? There any problems with compatibility for windows 10, since it's new? And if I decide to wait for more than a year then does that mean that I won't be able to do it for free?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions. :? I'm scared of doing anything to my computer in case I f**k it up. Will windows 10 f**k it up?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:12 pm

It's free to upgrade within the first year, for those eligible, you get to keep your free copy forever.
If you forget to upgrade or decide to upgrade after the year mark, then you have pay.

Windows 10 is snappier than Windows 7.
Windows 10 has a smaller footprint, thus frees up space on your hard drive
Windows 10 has DirectX 12, which is good for graphical applications
Windows 10 is more efficient
Windows 10 has a better interface
Windows 10 has more features
Windows 10 is not shiny
Windows 10 has virtual desktops

The only real downside is start menu is capped currently at 500 items.

If you follow the clearly written steps on the screen, you won't have any trouble upgrading.
It's really easy, I did it at launch.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:16 pm

Any risks of doing it? :o

And what is a virtual desktop? And what other features are there?

Sorry, just trying to weigh up in my mind if it's something I may do at some point.

Can you go back to 7 or would that be stupid? :?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:21 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Any risks of doing it? :o

And what is a virtual desktop? And what other features are there?

Sorry, just trying to weigh up in my mind if it's something I may do at some point.

Can you go back to 7 or would that be stupid? :?

Sure there is always a risk of ruining your computer if something goes wrong, but it is very rare.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2954552/ ... ws-10.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2950916/ ... short.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2874400/ ... first.html

You could downgrade, but really Windows 10 is that much better than 7.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:33 pm

Thanks for the video - but I am concerned about what people are saying in the comment section. I'll give it some time until they come up with fixes for the problems people are having.

But the first and third link and stuck on one slide so I can't see what they say in the articles. :?

Cortana does seem interesting... but is there any way to type requests to her? I have to do the same to Siri on my phone, just can't seem to talk to those type of programs. Strange fear.

The different slides or whatever where you can have dual screens in one screen does look very cool. It's like an advanced Alt Tab type thing.

But does software still work? Like is there any problems with some programs not working yet because they haven't updated it? Or am I making them up? :?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 6:39 am

Do it ONLY if you don't have ANY software you care about that MIGHT be negatively impacted by the upgrade.

I'd not touch it with a 10-foot pole on my existing hardware and software.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 6:52 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Do it ONLY if you don't have ANY software you care about that MIGHT be negatively impacted by the upgrade.

I'd not touch it with a 10-foot pole on my existing hardware and software.

What kind of software should I be worried about?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 7:17 am

it is unlikely to mess up existing installed software beyond what a reinstall of said program can fix.
if you have software that is likely to be affected, then you will know how to fix it.

i would recommend that you make a back-up of your documents (copy the entire "my documents" to a flashdrive), which is recommended to regularly do anyway; but the process is painless, win10 is 'dumbed down' from 7.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 7:19 am

izzeme wrote:
if you have software that is likely to be affected, then you will know how to fix it.

I will? :o

And what do you mean by "dumbed down"? Is it more idiot-proof? :D

Andoras
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2015, 1:46 am

I have two questions before I'm going to upgrade my Windows 8.1 operation system on nmy laptiop.

1.) Should I sign out of OneDrive before I start the upgrading?
2.)Does Windows 10 got back the DVD supporting or do ve still install an app for it?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 9:24 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Earlier today I got the thing on my task bar to upgrade to windows 10. I'm on windows 7 at the moment and I believe it's a free upgrade to 7, 8, and 8.1 but only for a year and after that you have to pay?

But I'm just so used to 7. I do prefer the task bar on vista but the upgrade from vista to 7 wasn't so much because they were basically the same except the task bar. And XP to vista wasn't so much different either. But windows 10 just looks completely different.

So I guess what I'm asking is: is there any reason to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7? There any advantages? Or is it fine just leaving it how it is?

Also, can an idiot do it? I don't want to f**k up my computer in the process and I've heard that people come across a lot of errors when doing it. Will you lose any documents? There any problems with compatibility for windows 10, since it's new? And if I decide to wait for more than a year then does that mean that I won't be able to do it for free?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions. :? I'm scared of doing anything to my computer in case I f**k it up. Will windows 10 f**k it up?

I got my upgrade. It runs faster than system 8.1 which I had previously.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 10:44 pm

As a general rule, with OS upgrades I like to wait a few months for things to get settled.

And of course, backup everything beforehand.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:29 am

Marky9 wrote:
As a general rule, with OS upgrades I like to wait a few months for things to get settled.

And of course, backup everything beforehand.

That is very good advice, thank you.

And yeah, I have a backup of my computer clean, and I have another of all my documents. Before I upgrade I'll put them on my documents card, just in case it wipes.

It really does look cool but I'll be the one to f**k up somehow in the process. :?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:18 pm

:roll:

iliketrees wrote:

Stick to Windows 7. You have Windows 7 inertia so switched we'll make you uncomfortable, for people with autism it's even worse.

Windows 10 looks pretty bad, I feel as if Windows is going for more of a tablet OS now. Windows 7 was good and the only Windows version I enjoyed.

At this point in time if your fed up with Windows it may be time to give Linux a try.

Things Linux has going for it:

-Viruses aren't built often for Linux
- Linux is more secure
-Simple commands to do tasks. Example:

In Windows installing Firefox is complicated, you have that installation manager window and you have to install dependencies individually. In Linux you just type a command in the terminal in you use Ubuntu or anything Ubuntu based the command will be sudo apt-get install firefox anything Debian or Debian based will be apt-get install firefox. Anything Arch Linux will be pacman -S firefox or something like that.

-There is a "secure enough" encryption option that comes with Linux and if you are a security freak you can get VeraCrypt.

I am going to write a thread about online security soon so you guys should all read that

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:23 pm

Will Office 2007 applications run on Windows 10?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Will Office 2007 applications run on Windows 10?

What is the file format?

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider