Windows 10 sucks at finding default programs to choose from

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 8:34 pm

Whenever you have a file extension that isn't currently set to a program already that can open it, Windows 10 does a really sh***y job of searching for compatible programs. It pretty much doesn't search at all, and just offers you to search the crappy windows app store. Windows 7 usually did a pretty good job at listing all the possible programs to choose from which may be able to open the file extension you are trying to use. With user unfriendly Windows 10, you pretty much have to manually search your harddrive each time for the program you want to be the default program to open whatever file extension you are trying to use.

Good job Microsoft.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2015, 2:28 am

Windows in general is bad a determine what type a particular file is. Just change the extension and it gets all confused. As far as I can remember from testing W 10, changing the default programming isn't as trivial as it used to be either ( ? )

( Insert Linux plug here )

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2015, 3:17 am

Well, with microsoft pushing the store on their customers, this is hardly surprising.
Also, Win7 wasn't all that good in finding default programs, i typically just manually navigated to the correct one anyway.
Mainly becouse i knew where they were located (not in sys/program files), and windows starts its search in those program files, alfabetically, which takes ages; i'm faster.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 6:24 pm

Why not just amend the thread to 'Window 10 Sucks", period? :lol:

My housemate had it briefly when they gave out the "Free" upgrade, and he found that the 'Upgrade' came bundled with a bunch of malware, then he went back to Win8. --Which AFAIC sucks as well.