mtDNA of Europeans, Turks, and Turkic Central Asians

Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 7:41 pm

There was a 2004 study that looked at the mtDNA of various groups: British, French, German, Greek, Bulgarian, Finnish, Turkish, and Turkic Central Asian (Kazakh, Kirgiz, and Uighur), with a focus on the Turks. mtDNA refers to the DNA of your mitochondria, which you inherit only from your mother (and not at all from your father). This allows scientists to study one's matrilineal line, the genetic line going from one's mother to her mother to her mother and so on. Each person has only one matrilineal line, as you have only one (biological) mother, she only one mother, and she only one mother, etc.

To get a sense of how populations are related, scientists may study the distribution of mtDNA across populations, looking for differences. The closer the mtDNA of 2 people, the more recent their most recent common maternal ancestor is.

This study looked at Turks, and then gauged how similar their mtDNA was to other European and Asian populations:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf (PDF)

What they found was surprising, as represented in this chart representing the genetic distance (of the mtDNA) of these populations:

As expected, the Turks are closest to the Turkic Central Asians, but the European group they are closest to are the British, which is surprising. One would think that the Bulgarians and Greeks, at least, would be closer, but they're not. It's not even close, as the genetic distance between the British, Turks, and the Turkic Central Asians is very tiny, showing that they share a very recent common maternal ancestor that they do not share with any of the other European groups. The next closest are the Finns, who are still pretty distant; the French and Germans, along with the Greeks, are the most distant from the British (and by extension also the Turks and Turkic Central Asians).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

In science you need to verify findings in replicate studies before it can be confirmed

Human population phylogeny is notoriously inaccurate as for at least a century the entire discipline was written around skull structure.

Further, a number of these genetic studies have been used to further nationalist causes. Case in point. The Chinese have never accepted the genetic evidence that Homo Sapiens evolved in Africa (for obvious reasons). They continue to scour the archaeological evidence relying largely on bones to peddle their theories that Chinese people evolved in China and everyone else evolved elsewhere

Back to the topic. Mitchondrial DNA is related to the female line of inheritance. Britain is an island cut off from the mainland europe from the ice age. The DNA of people in British people is remarkably complex and needs a lot more investigation before we can trace population movements that gave rise to the current population.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 10:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
Britain is an island cut off from the mainland europe from the ice age. The DNA of people in British people is remarkably complex and needs a lot more investigation before we can trace population movements that gave rise to the current population.

Cut off from the maindland is a dodgy concept, I think. I remember readingRJ Unstead's "Invaded Island" when I was a boy and realizing that the idea of a single British people was preposterous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistor ... tish_Isles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_h ... tish_Isles

I can recall taking a class in Anthropology at university and learning about those weird Chinese-supremacist theories. The morphological details that they fixated on, apparently linking east asian H. Erectus specimens with modern Chinese people seemed possibly more like evidence of the kind of mixing with Neanderthal and Denisovan populations now confirmed in non-Africans.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 1:57 pm

Agree with Cyberdad's main point: that one should not make too much of this until it has been replicated a few times.

I am not sure if Britain was so much "isolated" as the opposite during the Ice Age. Parts of it were buried under ice but most of Britain was not even an island, but was connected to the Mainland because the North Sea and the Channel were dry land because the sea level was lower because water was tied up inh the glaciers.

Folks have posted articles on WP about how the English are similar genetically to the Germans,and the Dutch. Which makes sense since Germany and the Netherlands is were the Anglo Saxons are supposed to have come from.

But if this crazy thing connecting Britain to Central Asia via maternal mitochondrial DNA is indeed replicated then it might not be as crazy as it looks.

It might mean that both the Brits and the Turkic peoples of Central Asia and Turkey are remnants of some ancient racial paint on the map of Eurasia. And that the folks in the vast region in between (basically all of mainland Europe) got genetically painted over by subsequent human migrations from some other region of the world.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Thanks for the comments, all. If I see anything more recent on this, I'll post it here in this thread.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 6:38 pm

Well originally we are all initially from the African continent if you really want to go back to the beginning. But read "Blood of the Isles" by Professor Bryan Sykes.

In a nutshell, all our invaders -- and we've been invaded by pretty much everyone over the millenia, actually did quite a bit of settling and intermarriage, not just raping and pilfering, thus we are not just Celtic and Saxon but also Viking, Roman and Norman and everything else that arrived on our shores, there is even speculation about the Armada. There's no need to reach for "Turks" to find that British genetics is quite exotic.

Not sure why that is even part of anything though. We ALL know we are ALL related. So isn't this kind of redundant?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Well originally we are all initially from the African continent if you really want to go back to the beginning. But read "Blood of the Isles" by Professor Bryan Sykes.

In a nutshell, all our invaders -- and we've been invaded by pretty much everyone over the millenia, actually did quite a bit of settling and intermarriage, not just raping and pilfering, thus we are not just Celtic and Saxon but also Viking, Roman and Norman and everything else that arrived on our shores, there is even speculation about the Armada. There's no need to reach for "Turks" to find that British genetics is quite exotic.

Not sure why that is even part of anything though. We ALL know we are ALL related. So isn't this kind of redundant?

Not sure what your point is.

The question is: why would Brits be more related to folks in former Soviet Uzbekistan than to Frenchman, or Germans,or Danes, just across the channel. Thats what that experiment seems to show.

Probably they are not REALLY closer to Uzbeks. Its just some spurious result. But who knows?

Its kinda like that thing a few years about how scientists discovered that many of the mummified Egyptian Pharoahs.......get this...."tested positive for cocaine".

The coca plant only grows in the Andes Mountains of South America. So how could pharoahs of Egypt thousands of years before Columbus have been snorting lines?

(No wonder they called him "Toot Uncommon").

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 2:09 am

Adamantium wrote:
Cut off from the maindland is a dodgy concept, I think. I remember readingRJ Unstead's "Invaded Island" when I was a boy and realizing that the idea of a single British people was preposterous

naturalplastic wrote:
I am not sure if Britain was so much "isolated" as the opposite during the Ice Age. Parts of it were buried under ice but most of Britain was not even an island, but was connected to the Mainland because the North Sea and the Channel were dry land because the sea level was lower because water was tied up inh the glaciers.

Genetics suggest the population of Britain was largely peopled from populations from paleolithic populations from the border of France and Spain who were genetically landlocked from the last ice age around 9000 BC. The important point is that regardless of the myriad of invasions from the Celts, Romans through to the Norseman greater than 60% of the DNA of Britain is indigenous to Britain. This indigenous ratio is highest for isolated populations in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Thus British people should be considered indigenous much like indigenous peoples anywhere else in the world
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... t-its-dna/

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 7:16 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The question is: why would Brits be more related to folks in former Soviet Uzbekistan than to Frenchman, or Germans,or Danes, just across the channel. Thats what that experiment seems to show.

Probably they are not REALLY closer to Uzbeks. Its just some spurious result. But who knows?

I have a slight quibble here. Uzbeks were not looked at: They looked at Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, and Uighurs.

EDIT: Also, Danes were not looked at.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 4:23 pm

beneficii wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I have a slight quibble here. Uzbeks were not looked at: They looked at Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, and Uighurs.

Same difference. :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 7:48 pm

beneficii wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

They picked "representative" population groups for comparison

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 7:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
beneficii wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Hi cyberdad,

Could you elaborate on your comment? I don't know whose comment you're referring to. Thanks. :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 8:07 pm

beneficii wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
beneficii wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Hi cyberdad,

Could you elaborate on your comment? I don't know whose comment you're referring to. Thanks. :)

Hi Beneficii,
Simply put the researchers probably didn't have the budget/time or logistical flexibility to test all the groups they would like so picked "representative" groups that they did have had access to blood/DNA samples

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 9:45 pm

Yeah. You cant test EVERY body.

And I was talking off the top of my head, about the general concept, and not about the specifics. The point is that you would expect Brits to be related to their neighbors on the near shores of Europe, and not to folks in the middle of the central Asian Steppes. And the Uzbeks are the "largest Turkic speaking group in former Soviet Central Asia" according to Wiki. And the Brits were invaded by both the Angles (from the Denmark-German border), and later were almost swallowed by the Viking invaders from Denmark proper( a big chunk of England became "the Danelaw") before the Danish invaders of England got their asses whipped by Alfred the Great. So the English would be expected to have Danish DNA.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 9:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Yeah. You cant test EVERY body.

And I was talking off the top of my head, about the general concept, and not about the specifics. The point is that you would expect Brits to be related to their neighbors on the near shores of Europe, and not to folks in the middle of the central Asian Steppes. And the Uzbeks are the "largest Turkic speaking group in former Soviet Central Asia" according to Wiki. And the Brits were invaded by both the Angles (from the Denmark-German border), and later were almost swallowed by the Viking invaders from Denmark proper( a big chunk of England became "the Danelaw") before the Danish invaders of England got their asses whipped by Alfred the Great. So the English would be expected to have Danish DNA.

Right. As I mentioned in my OP, the results of the study went against the expectations that the British mtDNA would be closer to the Germans and French and that the Turks would be closer to the Greeks and Bulgarians. It would have been interesting had they included Danes, too.

Nevertheless, the study was performed in 2004, and a search on PubMed does not turn up any similar study which compares mtDNA and tests it against the groups in the study. It would really be interesting if we could find a more recent study.

Maybe one is in the works. :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:56 am

naturalplastic wrote:
later were almost swallowed by the Viking invaders from Denmark proper( a big chunk of England became "the Danelaw") before the Danish invaders of England got their asses whipped by Alfred the Great. So the English would be expected to have Danish DNA.

Surprisingly not a lot of connection with Danes genetically but there is a higher proportion of marker genes from Denmark the further west you go in Britain...Northumbria, Yorkshire, Anglia Orkney etc...