Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 1:11 pm

For those of you who are into programming, what are the best bits about it?

Feel free to mention the worst bits too, if you feel like it.

nerdynoob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2017, 4:58 pm

I have to say the best part of programing for me is when I've been staring at the code for an hour and finally find the issue. I hate when the issue previously mentioned is a syntax error or missing semicolon I want something more exciting.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 8:34 pm

^^ :lol: I had to have a chuckle of recognition, I know exactly what you mean, especially when the damned typo' is in a line that you know you've read through dozens of times already - it's such an anti-climax!

I get the best buzz when I master a new language construct that I've never used before, or find the moment of clarity where I can see how and why an algorithm for something works.

Unlike a lot of programmers I've known, I rather enjoy debugging and alpha/beta-testing too - in the same way that some people might enjoy crosswords or sudoku puzzles. I like the sleuthing aspect of it, and there's so much more variety than in other forms of puzzles.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2017, 4:57 am

I love typing, and I love making stuff -- programming fits that well. I will admit, my interest in programming has waned as I've just about reached the point in which I've learned everything I wanted to learn about computer programs (ultimately, still have a lot to learn). It doesn't intrigue or fascinate me as it once did. :(

Now, there is one thing I'll always hold interest in: interactive fiction games. Basic programming makes it easy to create those.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

If you like programming, does writing appeal to you the same way?

Do you like the results of your programming, or is it the process?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 4:42 pm

Quote:

I'm poor at fiction writing and narrative, but I enjoy technical writing, and it's been one of my favourite tasks in a couple of jobs that I've done. I enjoy it enough that I'm absolutely meticulous about documenting my code. Even though I don't share much of my code, it always gets complete API documentation, unit tests and use-case examples.

Quote:

Definitely the process! I have written dozens of programs and audio plugins that I've barely used once I've finished them. I also spend a lot of time writing library code - just modules for tasks that interest me, with no idea if I'll ever have a project which will need them. My hard drive is also littered with half-finished projects that I lost interest in half-way through, or couldn't be bothered to make a GUI for, or because I went off on a tangent that started a new project. That's pretty much why it's never worked out for me trying to do it as a job - it's not supposed to be "work", it's how I "play". :D

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2017, 6:33 pm

underwater wrote:

Writing appeals to me in a different way. Personally, I've found a lot of appreciation in the art of rhetoric thanks to my Spring semester English Composition and Rhetoric course from earlier this year. I want to start a blog because of it, though chatting on a forum board also satisfies my urges to write.

As for programming, I like the process -- I hear most people like the results and get angry during the process. The process can be frustrating if I have a bad instructor with impossible expectations (I've had two of those so far), in which I know the logic in the program, but not the syntax and I end up spending hours trying to find syntax that the instructor will deem acceptable.

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2017, 8:16 pm

I love rewriting bad code and making it all new and nice and shiney :3 refactoring and bug fixing and separating into logical files, documenting it and enforcing proper naming conventions, also increasing the speed is so satisfying! I consider it a job well done when it is faster, more efficient, easy to use and people can easily make changes without hacking or breaking things and without getting lost. I am a bit of a code quality Nazi :P.

Making and architecting new things I also find fascinating, OHH planning database structures!! !!

Lol I like alot about programming :P

What I dislike about programming is mostly due to human involvement... I wouldn't have a job without them but bad clients and last minute changes can make me get quite angry.

I like writing but it doesn't appeal to me in the same way, writing has no wrong or right answer, I always end up refactoring it a billion times and never get past the first chapter because it's never 'right'. Coding is all patterns and I can just look at it and it feels pretty and satisfying <3. I guess I like poetry more because it has a structure and patterns in it. I like rules ahahah.

I love the results, as in how the code looks afterwards but I must say often what I do makes the front look the same, but the logic is completely different. I would say I do it for the process it's fun and challenging, it requires lots of planning and gives me such a rush when I get parts working!!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 8:55 pm

^^ Interesting that you mentioned poetry. I used to enjoy writing songs years ago when I was in bands. Not done it for a long time now, but it's the only kind of non-technical writing that I ever really enjoyed doing (I'm no judge of whether I was particularly good at it, though!) I know just what you mean about rhyme and meter making it easier by leaving fewer options open and giving structure, in the same way that code syntax and naming conventions do.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:51 am

Hmmmm. Your replies are really interesting. I'm wondering whether enjoying the process is typical for autistics. I've never been a very goal oriented person, possibly because I'm not motivated by social things.

So some of you like code but are less interested in natural language, and some do both.

How did you get into writing code at all in the beginning? What was the starting factor?

Am thinking about signing up for object-oriented programming classes. The first semester would be Python, then next semester Java. I have no idea whether I will be able to do this. I am in the process of trying to return to childhood learning habits. I've been trying too hard to learn the NT way, and it just messed up my life. I have some unusual reading skills, and I wonder whether this will be useful for learning programming. I'm scared of taking on too much.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2017, 2:07 am

underwater wrote:
Hmmmm. Your replies are really interesting. I'm wondering whether enjoying the process is typical for autistics. I've never been a very goal oriented person, possibly because I'm not motivated by social things.

So some of you like code but are less interested in natural language, and some do both.

How did you get into writing code at all in the beginning? What was the starting factor?

Am thinking about signing up for object-oriented programming classes. The first semester would be Python, then next semester Java. I have no idea whether I will be able to do this. I am in the process of trying to return to childhood learning habits. I've been trying too hard to learn the NT way, and it just messed up my life. I have some unusual reading skills, and I wonder whether this will be useful for learning programming. I'm scared of taking on too much.

I got into writing code, originally, in Microsoft Excel -- but I don't really consider that to be my first real experience. My first coding experience goes back to last year, when I took a course "Programming with Java" which is required for my major in cyber security.
So far, I have taken Java, C, and C++. Of the three, I favor C++. I might not look at the other two languages as favorably since I had terrible instructors, notably the instructor for C which basically ruined the course for all of us (I withdrew from that sinking ship -- he's no longer teaching, thankfully, but I do need to take the class again next semester).

Take your time.
Personally, I'm taking my time in college and will probably graduate late -- taking 4 courses every Spring/Fall (excluding last Spring and this Fall), and one to three in Summer.

I don't know how much reading will help -- I personally haven't found my book or reading material to be useful since I can figure out the logic quite easily, I just have problems with the syntax in some assignments. So, I suppose it depends. Depending on what kind of reading skills you have, say, you can spot differences easily and read/process quickly, then I think you'd be good at programming, especially when it comes to reading another person's program.
In short: I don't think reading skills will help much with learning programming, but I do think it will help you with programming itself. :D

Also, side note, what does 'NT' mean?

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 2:43 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
underwater wrote:

I got into writing code, originally, in Microsoft Excel -- but I don't really consider that to be my first real experience. My first coding experience goes back to last year, when I took a course "Programming with Java" which is required for my major in cyber security.
So far, I have taken Java, C, and C++. Of the three, I favor C++. I might not look at the other two languages as favorably since I had terrible instructors, notably the instructor for C which basically ruined the course for all of us (I withdrew from that sinking ship -- he's no longer teaching, thankfully, but I do need to take the class again next semester).

Take your time.
Personally, I'm taking my time in college and will probably graduate late -- taking 4 courses every Spring/Fall (excluding last Spring and this Fall), and one to three in Summer.

I don't know how much reading will help -- I personally haven't found my book or reading material to be useful since I can figure out the logic quite easily, I just have problems with the syntax in some assignments. So, I suppose it depends. Depending on what kind of reading skills you have, say, you can spot differences easily and read/process quickly, then I think you'd be good at programming, especially when it comes to reading another person's program.
In short: I don't think reading skills will help much with learning programming, but I do think it will help you with programming itself. :D

NT is short for 'neurotypical', basically non-autistic but is often applied to someone who doesn't have any neurodevelpmental disorder. Temple Grandin talks about autistics and dyslexics often being 'bottom-up-thinkers', who start from a lot of single occurences and figure out general rules. The typical NT way of learning is starting with general rules and then branching out.

I've been trying to read about programming, as my default strategy is to read up on anything before I do it, but I'm starting to understand I might just have to jump right into it to really understand. The textbooks aren't making much sense.

I have an unusually high reading speed, and I spot errors easily, but it doesn't apply to numbers, so I'm worrying that it only applies to natural language. Am trying to find a way in, because programming skills could really do a lot for me when it comes to getting a job. I have a lot of anxiety about it, because I've failed at so many things in the past. I might have to stay off it because of the anxiety, but I have this feeling it might be fun if I manage to understand it.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2017, 2:58 am

underwater wrote:
Hyeokgeose wrote:
underwater wrote:

Take your time.

NT is short for 'neurotypical', basically non-autistic but is often applied to someone who doesn't have any neurodevelpmental disorder. Temple Grandin talks about autistics and dyslexics often being 'bottom-up-thinkers', who start from a lot of single occurences and figure out general rules. The typical NT way of learning is starting with general rules and then branching out.

I've been trying to read about programming, as my default strategy is to read up on anything before I do it, but I'm starting to understand I might just have to jump right into it to really understand. The textbooks aren't making much sense.

I have an unusually high reading speed, and I spot errors easily, but it doesn't apply to numbers, so I'm worrying that it only applies to natural language. Am trying to find a way in, because programming skills could really do a lot for me when it comes to getting a job. I have a lot of anxiety about it, because I've failed at so many things in the past. I might have to stay off it because of the anxiety, but I have this feeling it might be fun if I manage to understand it.

Oh, thank you.

I would recommend jumping into it and maybe do some of the programming projects that are usually found at the end of every chapter (not sure which book you're using). For sure, it's fun once you get the hang of it.

I'm almost certain, based off of what I've heard, that there's programming-related jobs in which one reads code for errors. I know we do that in cyber security, and there's currently an endless demand for cyber security everywhere.

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2017, 7:21 am

underwater wrote:

Both my parents are programmers ahaha so that got me exposed to it. I first ever did any coding when I was 8??? But after that I started doing small things on my own. I really started learning properly when I left school and got a job as an intern. The guy decided to keep me on and teach me programming. I learned PHP then JavaScript and now I work in Python, JS and Node.

Funny enough I am a very fast reader, but I must say I don't always pick up on mistakes as I am more of a skim reader. I don't think reading speed in particular will help programming, but being able to spot issues in patterns is very important, making sure that everything is consistent and noticing small things like if something is a capital when it shouldn't be, and if it is missing a semi colon! But even if you don't find it easy to spot at first don't be discouraged I think it can take time for you to learn the patterns properly to spot them.

My advice is to just try out some practice stuff and see how it goes. If you like it it will most likely seem fun and interesting and you will get frustrated slower, if you find yourself getting very stressed out and not understanding anything then maybe best to consider other options. People say you can get good at anything you try hard enough at, and that is true, but with programming I think your brain either works that way or it doesn't. Expect to still get frustrated though, it can be very annoying when trying to debug something lol, esp at the start ahahah.

Have fun! I hope you enjoy it :3 it's an easy career to get jobs in and they do not expect good social skills, and generally.you can work all day with your headphones on! You do need to be okay with small team work 2-6 people, but that's more organisation based and when you work you will be talking about what you are doing so that's conversation topic sorted ahahah. Programmers are frequently happy to talk about code near 24/7 so you can make friend with people who like the same stuff as you!

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2017, 2:37 am

AntisocialButterfly wrote:
underwater wrote:

Both my parents are programmers ahaha so that got me exposed to it. I first ever did any coding when I was 8??? But after that I started doing small things on my own. I really started learning properly when I left school and got a job as an intern. The guy decided to keep me on and teach me programming. I learned PHP then JavaScript and now I work in Python, JS and Node.

Funny enough I am a very fast reader, but I must say I don't always pick up on mistakes as I am more of a skim reader. I don't think reading speed in particular will help programming, but being able to spot issues in patterns is very important, making sure that everything is consistent and noticing small things like if something is a capital when it shouldn't be, and if it is missing a semi colon! But even if you don't find it easy to spot at first don't be discouraged I think it can take time for you to learn the patterns properly to spot them.

My advice is to just try out some practice stuff and see how it goes. If you like it it will most likely seem fun and interesting and you will get frustrated slower, if you find yourself getting very stressed out and not understanding anything then maybe best to consider other options. People say you can get good at anything you try hard enough at, and that is true, but with programming I think your brain either works that way or it doesn't. Expect to still get frustrated though, it can be very annoying when trying to debug something lol, esp at the start ahahah.

Have fun! I hope you enjoy it :3 it's an easy career to get jobs in and they do not expect good social skills, and generally.you can work all day with your headphones on! You do need to be okay with small team work 2-6 people, but that's more organisation based and when you work you will be talking about what you are doing so that's conversation topic sorted ahahah. Programmers are frequently happy to talk about code near 24/7 so you can make friend with people who like the same stuff as you!

What kind of programming work do you do, by the way? Any chance you work with anyone doing cyber security? If so, could you tell me what exactly cyber security is like? I only have vague ideas from somewhat vague answers given online and by my instructors and advisers.

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2017, 9:42 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
AntisocialButterfly wrote:
underwater wrote:

What kind of programming work do you do, by the way? Any chance you work with anyone doing cyber security? If so, could you tell me what exactly cyber security is like? I only have vague ideas from somewhat vague answers given online and by my instructors and advisers.

I am sorry I don't really know much about cyber security, I have a friend who works in it, it pays well, largely it is doing tests and securing servers against attacks, etc. Mostly server work that I know of. Also testing software to check that there are no issues PEN tests etc. May want to Google it further though ahah.