problems while installing software to a iMac G3

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2010, 1:28 pm

It is running MacOSX 10.4.11 with 256MB of RAM, i tried to install Firefox to it and I mount the .dmg file I clicked to open it and the desktop just refreshed and nothing happen. So I tried Camino same thing happen. can someone tell me what is going on with it?

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2010, 3:09 pm

When was the last time you repaired permissions? That's always a good first step when it starts acting funny.

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2010, 3:13 pm

what do u mean repair permissions?

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 5:33 pm

Applications >>> Utilities >>> Disk Utility

do G3's have Motorola CPUs, instead of Intels?
in which case u will need a firefox release for the G-series and not intel, unless its a universal app - in which case i have no clue :P .
ive not had a mac for long...

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 6:45 pm

shugo974 wrote:
It is running MacOSX 10.4.11 with 256MB of RAM, i tried to install Firefox to it and I mount the .dmg file I clicked to open it and the desktop just refreshed and nothing happen. So I tried Camino same thing happen. can someone tell me what is going on with it?

Your computer is pretty low-spec to be running 10.4. I don't think the most recent Firefox builds support your system. Your options are pretty much to either purchase a new computer, or install Linux on your current one. The G3 iMacs are too old for Apple software.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 8:20 pm

the newest beta of firefox as far as i'm aware is intel only (yours is PowerPC) so you may want to use an older version.
i'd try a lightweight browser. Camino is good and even safari might be.

You really want to up the ram on that beast. I was in the same situation years ago on a imac g3 500 and upping the ram makes a REALLY dramatic improvement in speed. If you can go to 640 or more.
if you do manage to get firefox working i'd reccomend using adblock pro and flashblock and maybe even disabling certain javascript heavy sites as they will all slow things down big time.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 10:52 am

StevieC wrote:
Applications >>> Utilities >>> Disk Utility

do G3's have Motorola CPUs, instead of Intels?
in which case u will need a firefox release for the G-series and not intel, unless its a universal app - in which case i have no clue :P .
ive not had a mac for long...

A G3 is a PowerPC CPU.

I'd second repair the permissions, there's no reason it shouldn't open the DMG.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 3:33 pm

oh is it that the DMG is not mounting? in that case it could be that disks are not set to be shown on the desktop. check the finder preferences. you could try mounting it through the disk utility?