Post the comp/math/sci/tech stuff you've accumulated!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:37 am

This thread is for posting the technical stuff you've obtained over the years. I'll go first. Here is my collection of calculating devices, consisting of slide rules and RPN calculators. I have a few more at work and in the truck, but this is the bulk of my collection.

Click for full-size

Model Listing (from top left to right) :

HP 41CV
WP 34S (an open-source scientific firmware for the HP 30B complete with an adhesive-backed vinyl overlay)
HP 25C
HP 35S
HP 48GX
HP 48G
HP 50G
HP 15C Limited Edition (the re-release from earlier this year)
2x HP 15C (original from the '80s)
HP 16C (programmer's calculator with adjustable word size, really useful in logic design and machine structures classes)
HP 12C (ARM-based current 12C)
HP 11C
Electronika MK-61 (an old soviet programmable RPN calculator, obviously modeled after the old HPs)
HP 32SII
HP 28S

Way at the top is my disassembled old '80s 12C which is currently under repair (I just replaced a worn out metal snap dome, which is responsible for the tactile feedback, and am waiting to get some plywood to make a block to apply pressure while gluing the PCB back down (I had to cut all the plastic heat stakes which held the PCB tightly against the keyboard). You can also catch a glimpse of IC-2000 tire cement, my favorite glue. My glue collection is a whole 'nother post, though.

I also have an HP 42S, an HP 33E, and a Victor V12 (cheap Chinese 12C clone) which are not pictured as they are at work or in my truck.

Here are the models of my slide rules (top to bottom, then bottom right) :
K&E 4053-2 (An old 9" simplex wooden rule, pretty boring with only standard logarithmic and trig scales)
Sun Hemmi No. 135 (A 5" bamboo rule that feels wonderful in your hands. My favorite of the rules I have collected so far despite its small size. It has linear scales, trig, cubes, and a Pythagorean scale (for solving triangles) in addition to the usual log scales. Unusual for such a small rule)
Pickett N902-ES (A 12" metal simplex rule)
Pickett N500T (A 12" metal duplex rule)
K&E 68 1210 (A 12" wooden duplex rule with cubes in addition to the usual)

I keep batteries in about half of those calculators and use them regularly. I occasionally will use a slide rule in situations where it is easy to keep track of the decimal.

That's enough for now. Next week maybe I'll post my electronic test equipment or radio equipment. What cool stuff have you guys collected?

Edited to work around WP's broken automatic image resizing

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 7:44 am

Toys for the Boy.

The slide rules brought back a rush of memory. To think that men were sent to the moon by engineers with slide rules and crew cuts.

The main lesson to be learned is that it is brains the are important, much more so than instruments.

ruveyn

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

I will post mine when I get back home I am at a buddy's house for Halloween and I will not be back home until Next Week

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:40 pm

Are so many calculators necessary? 3 of the same model...

My calculator collection consists of the following (don't mess with Texas Instruments):
TI-89 Titanium (best graphing calculator, but I have little use for it anymore)
TI-83 (what my school had me use as a grapher before I got the 89)
TI-36x Solar (my primary calculator for day-to-day use)
A busted TI-30x IIS (was my primary before it broke)
Ashamed though I am to admit it, I also have an HP15c special edition sitting in my apartment. I bought it as a present for my father, so he'll get it in a couple months.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

If you wanted all of my math and science stuff then I'd have far too much to ever be able to list. I calculators are much easier though:

TI-84 Plus (my preferred calculator, although it's getting rather worn these days from 4 years of use and love)

TI-30X IIS (had to buy it for a physics competition I wrote that didn't allow graphing calculators--I use it for some small things and to prepare for tests where I won't be allowed a graphing calculator. But I found out that a TI-30X is still much more advanced than the calculators we were given and using it didn't prepare me).

When on my computer I like to use Graph 4.4 (open-source graphing software) or some of the graphing software developed for Linux. And spreadsheets are great for repetitive calculations.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

While I'll have to get back to you on pics this is what I've got so far:
Hickok 752 Dynamic Mutual transcondutance tube tester
Sprague Tel Ohmike 4 Capacitor resistor Analyzer
Precision 10-12 tube tester
Eico 667 tube tester
B&K 375 Vacuum tube voltmeter
Eico 944 transformer TV yoke tester( I may be off on that number but I have 2 at the moment)
2000+ tubes( and unnumbered parts)
National NCX 2 HF tube transceiver with power supply.
Lafayette HA 700 SW tubed receiver
Eico 324 RF signal generator
Precision E 400 Sweep generator
Tektronix 545 Vacuum tube oscilloscope( I have a 535A as well but both need re-tubing and I only have plans on re working the 545)
More flasks, test tubes and glassware that I have room for as well as enough books to break the last good shelf I own.