Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 7:18 pm

I have this problem that's been bugging me the more I mentaly push aside my former religion. The thing that's bugging me is something kind of different, but I'm not sure if it's entirely a different at this point.

My Dad said that one of his used spark plugs had mineral desposits on it. I've found spark plugs thrown out into the desert before where the white parts were filled with dirt. Sometimes it the dirt was tightly together. Yeah, kind of natural, right? To find dirt clinging to different things. I just tossed them back down at those times, because I didn't think anything of it. People in that desert I grew up in often tossed out trash illegaly. Just right out there into the land scape with no care for nature. Anything from car shells to magazines, and questionable barrels.

I did find an old spark plug once in a while when we would go exploring. My Father also told me that older dryers used to have spark plugs inside of them, so of course I'm curious about common cloths washing machines having one. Ok now I want to know what other house hold things might have spark plugs or something might work like spark plugs. I don't know anything about physics or car mechanics. I'm terribly unedgucated, because most of my life didn't have purpose to it.

I am wandering if these used spark plugs have a tendancy to either form or gather minerals. Yep, that's about it. :( I am being serious about a couple of "strange" issues. They aren't paranormal at all to me. Feeling invisable hands rub my hips, now that's paranormal, if you want my honest oppinion.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 7:29 pm

Expect to find a greyish coating of lead salts on spark plugs used in aircraft (100LL avgas is leaded gasoline) and older vehicles.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 7:38 pm

I hope you were just saying something you felt was helpful. The New Mexico sand is kind of a goldie brown. Kind of like in my avatar.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 7:55 pm

Yeah. ok. I'll keep it in mind. I'm thinking of used ones, and not fresh ones to.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 7:57 pm

Plug fouling (either lead salts, unburned fuel or oil in two strokes) might account for discarded spark plugs attracting more dirt than other bits of discarded wreckage, and might discolour the dirt. I've never seen a clothes dryer with a spark plug. Maybe a gas fired dryer would have an electrical ignition like a spark plug.

The only devices I've used with spark plugs have been gasoline fueled engines.

I can't comment on your "strange" issues because I've not experienced them, but do have a working knowledge of internal combustion engines, and thought fouling might explain the condition of the plugs you had found.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

Yes. first, pilot lights were replaced with pizeoelectric igniters, stoves, hot water heaters, gas heat. Very old gas dryers had a plug,

Metal, with an electrical charge will attract things. It is the same used in electro plating. So a plug is charged, but laying in the desert, is the best conducter around, about twice as dense as sand, and ferrous, magnetic.

A weak electrical charge will attract dust, an Ion, which will losely bond, but add a drop of morning dew, it becomes a chemical bond.

An iron part rusting is combining with the air, Oxygen, but silicon can get in the middle and form a crust over the iron. Silica is an oxide, according to where on the electromotive series of metals it is, it would be more likely to bond with the lead deposits on the tip, than to pure iron, but it will.

Just the heating and cooling of day and night produce an electrical current, and while it is slow and sloppy, it is the same force that drives growing crystals. They are pure, but Iron, Rust, Lead, Silica, Water, can form many things.

So we find lumps in the desert, and some broken open have a metalic center. I found the same on New Mexico rocks, a non descript crust, which formed around some rocks and not others, This was longer ago than the golden sand, Beneath the gold is the red, still new, and below that, in wind blowouts, Gray sand, the old surface from 13,000 years ago where Clovis points are found, It is gray, compacted, and cemented together by organic matter. The organic acids did the same, bonding some charged particles into chemical bonds. Clovis Points have cemented deposits, and old bones were replaced by the same process, making fossils.

Some can be seen, an old bit of brass, a green stain that has move out a foot or more. The same electro chemical halos, why the gold is not in the vein but is in the host rock where that contains Carbon.

I miss the desert, The stars.

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2011, 8:42 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
I have this problem that's been bugging me the more I mentaly push aside my former religion. The thing that's bugging me is something kind of different, but I'm not sure if it's entirely a different at this point.

My Dad said that one of his used spark plugs had mineral desposits on it. I've found spark plugs thrown out into the desert before where the white parts were filled with dirt. Sometimes it the dirt was tightly together. Yeah, kind of natural, right? To find dirt clinging to different things. I just tossed them back down at those times, because I didn't think anything of it. People in that desert I grew up in often tossed out trash illegaly. Just right out there into the land scape with no care for nature. Anything from car shells to magazines, and questionable barrels.

I did find an old spark plug once in a while when we would go exploring. My Father also told me that older dryers used to have spark plugs inside of them, so of course I'm curious about common cloths washing machines having one. Ok now I want to know what other house hold things might have spark plugs or something might work like spark plugs. I don't know anything about physics or car mechanics. I'm terribly unedgucated, because most of my life didn't have purpose to it.

I am wandering if these used spark plugs have a tendancy to either form or gather minerals. Yep, that's about it. :( I am being serious about a couple of "strange" issues. They aren't paranormal at all to me. Feeling invisable hands rub my hips, now that's paranormal, if you want my honest oppinion.

You want to know all about something as "mundane" as spark plugs? Will you marry me? :wink: Just kidding...

The function of a spark plug is to act as an ignition source in combustion engines that don't rely on the heat of compression for this purpose. These are commonly reciprocating engines that implement either the two or four stroke Otto cycle. A spark plug works by providing a spark gap to be bridged by electricity of sufficient voltage. When this occurs the electric current locally heats the air/fuel mixture to its ignition temperature.

About 100 years ago, prior to widespread electrical service, it was somewhat common to see household appliances such as clothes washers, dishwashers, and the like that utilized as their prime mover spark-ignited internal combustion engines. Also, certain modern appliances such as clothes driers that are heated by burning natural gas or propane may rely on spark-ignition; however, these devices don't have spark plugs that look anything like those used in combustion engines.

The fuel burned in spark-ignited combustion engines, typically gasoline, can contain solids or precursor materials that react at elevated temperature to form solids. These solids may accumulate within the engine's combustion chambers and on the spark plugs. Oil that either leaks past seals or is intentionally mixed with fuel in the case of crankcase-scavenged two-stroke engines is another source of such deposits.

If you're looking at spark plugs that have been exposed to air and moisture for a while you're most probably seeing metal corrosion products, e.g., rust. This is not likely to be connected in any way to the plugs having previously been in service, apart from the fact that people are unlikely to throw away new plugs and hence subject them to the elements.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:02 pm

Thanks folks. This helped a bunch.