How many people on wrongplanet use windows as there main OS

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

Why prefer it over alternatives like linux or osx?

What you like about Windows?

What you hate about Windows?

Just curious as I do not read people on here standing up for windows.

caramel0
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2012, 5:29 pm

1. I'm a gamer.
2. Familiarity/laziness when not gaming.

I'm happy to poke around in linux OSes when uni requires it (running code), though I still need to google all but a handful of terminal commands. Macs are way overpriced and I don't see why I would ever bother with them when I can have a computer that dual boots into say windows (recreaction) and ubuntu (for uni when I need it)

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

40djbrooks wrote:

Because Linux is for people who like thinking too hard and OS X is for people who don't like thinking at all.

The year is still young.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 5:46 pm

"Their"

I got my first computer in 1984.

Today I work as a network engineer for a well known company.

Anyway... I use Windows because it is the best OS as of Windows 2000 13 years ago.

OS X is a toy. I know. I owned a PowerBook for about 3 years. I sold it.

Linux is an OS for hackers made by hackers. It is cool to play with. I've ran Linux on and off since about 1998. It's great to tinker with. I have Ubuntu dual boot on my laptop right now. But I can't get anything productive done on it. I'm mostly booting into Win 7.

For serious work, for development, and for gaming, it is Windows 7 all the way. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just a zealot or they've been misinformed by zealots.

Windows 8 will absolutely KICK ASS. They'll use the same kernel on the PCs, tablets, AND the phones. Metro apps will run across all three platforms. No one else has that.

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2012, 5:50 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:

Because Linux is for people who like thinking too hard and OS X is for people who don't like thinking at all.

Yeah i suppose that it, it depends if you got the attention span to deal with it, I for one do not have the patience and my attention span is dreadful.

My wife is fed up of me being up till 3am configuring freebsd over the weekend, once I am fixated that is it, then I want to return to windows and then back again. I do get headaches after a while.

So maybe I need to keep it simple.

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

I'm too used to the daily work interface to bother switching from Windows 7. I got Ubuntu and BackTrack running in VirtualBox though. I know Visual C++ can compile C/C++ on Windows and such (as alternative to GCC), but I find IDEs really intrusive, and there are a lot of additional hacks and special purpose software only made for Linux, so while I'm not that fond of it now, I know I'll be using it a lot eventually. Plus Windows and Linux running simultaneously allow for pretty much everything to be used.

I liked Windows a lot since XP, and 7 is really good compared to everything prior, apart from the occasional hacks required to make programs stop being intrusive (like Live Messenger). Oh right, forgot games. Not really a fair contest there by any means.

What sucks? It's an OS. All OS' suck. =/ But at least virtualization allows things to be spread out in a manner that makes the sucky parts less bothersome.

I got a lot of respect for Apple. Their design is top class and they're good with marketing and having solutions that fit together, but I don't think I'll ever want to use their products. I like when things can break and be disassembled and reassembled and customized to the point where the original is not recognizable.

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2012, 8:05 pm

Linux is used already in multiple forms, such as PCs,servers, mobile phones and tablets. Microsoft is just catching up or just decided to wait and see how things go.

The difference with windows and linux is that it will cost people to upgrade again, Microsoft going all the way to the bank again.

I decided tonight to switch to ubuntu linux 11.10 and I also installed xfce4 instead of unity.

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2012, 9:36 pm

I think I will spend some time to get to know ubuntu and I will be more than happy to post something of my time with it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:53 am

40djbrooks wrote:

What you like about Windows?

For simple trivial uses it is cheap and the variety of application that run on Windows is great.

And one does not need to be a software expert to use it.

Windows is for non-expert computer users what the superheterodyne circuit was for people who wanted to listen to radio and did not know how the radio really worked. Two dials. One for the station, one for volume and an on/off switch.

ruveyn

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Windows is for non-expert computer users what the superheterodyne circuit was for people who wanted to listen to radio and did not know how the radio really worked. Two dials. One for the station, one for volume and an on/off switch.

What is OSX then, a colored brick that plays what station it chooses?

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2012, 6:22 pm

I have now installed windows 7 with linux mint 12 alongside as a dual boot configuration, after umming over the last few days, I think I might have the perfect setup, my second computer, I will install Freebsd with linux emulation.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 8:00 pm

I do. It comes with the computer and it is adequate for the limited uses I have.

I would not want Windows as a development environment for scientific applications.

ruveyn

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:55 am

Linux, because I'm not paying apple or windows to increase their market share and hurt the consumer/have a lack of functional software without bugs. Every tool I need I can get for free on Linux, I have no virus issues, or crashes. If I'm on a windows PC I'm actually less comfortable since I lack options. Instead of fixing something I end up going through 20 extra steps. I fixed a computer recently then rebooted and walked away. When I came back windows backup reinstalled all the viruses and deleted the work I did. Because it failed installing a system update and wouldn't boot.. ...

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 2:05 am

40djbrooks wrote:

I wouldn't say I "prefer" windows over anything else, but it was pre installed on my laptop, so it will do.
I am fully aware of the alternatives, and the possibilities of using a different OS, and it all sounds fine and dandy.
Unfortunately, I have a life, so messing around with what's on my computer can go way down on the very long list of stuff I just don't get chance to do.

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2012, 8:33 am

IDontGetIt wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:

I wouldn't say I "prefer" windows over anything else, but it was pre installed on my laptop, so it will do.
I am fully aware of the alternatives, and the possibilities of using a different OS, and it all sounds fine and dandy.
Unfortunately, I have a life, so messing around with what's on my computer can go way down on the very long list of stuff I just don't get chance to do.

I would not delete a preinstalled OS as it has a recovery partition in case it needed to reinstall the OS.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 10:18 am

40djbrooks wrote:
IDontGetIt wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:

I would not delete a preinstalled OS as it has a recovery partition in case it needed to reinstall the OS.

You delete the OS and the recovery partition. Both are useless. Non bloatware windows is preferable.