Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

I like using Fatdog64, the OS(puppy variant) mounts entirely in RAM for extreme response times - Flash support is included. Tin Hat Linux is a similar distro, but requires a lot of RAM.

I have Windows 8 for gaming. Like many others users( source: MS communities), have had problems with the latest features, including LiveID sign-in, and the Windows App store not working. It feels like an unfinished product, and I wonder if Vista to Windows 7 will be as Windows 8 to Windows Blue. ie, junk.

Apocalypsing
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2013, 11:42 am

I recently reinstalled Windows on my desktop due to an AMD Catalyst driver issue (since I have an AMD Radeon HD 7870) that couldn't be fixed by completely uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers, sadly. Prior to the reinstall I was running Windows 8, but now I'm running Windows 7.

In a way I'm glad I'm back to using windows 7. I didn't mind running Windows 8 actually, it had some very nice features. But I noticed that Microsoft went a bit far by getting rid of safe mode access with F8. I believe this was replaced with an automatic boot troubleshooter, which failed to trigger for me back when I had boot problems a few months back.

I've also been thinking about getting back into Linux, preferably some form of lightweight distro, although I still need to familiarise myself with the Bash command line, so an Arch installation is out of the question right now. I've tried a few Linux distros before (first Ubuntu and the Linux Mint), and being an advanced user means Linux would suit me well, since it's very customisable. Unfortunately, I quickly fell back to Windows because a large majority of my game library wasn't compatible with Linux. Most of my games are DirectX, the last time I tried a (very old) DirectX 9 game in Linux, I got graphical issues as a result. I know that I could've dual-booted, but I would've hated the idea of dual-booting back and forth between operating systems just for some gaming.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

On my main computer, I am ashamed to say that I use Vista as my OS. On my laptop, though, I use Windows 7, which is much better!

lau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 7:10 am

I tend to use Xubuntu on my machines. I like a bit of eye candy, but I really hate Unity.

For the first time in several months, last week I ran up my XP, inside VirtualBox, and did all the updates (count those reboots!), while playing cards on the "real" OS. Then copied the .xpi file, so I can use it as a real restore point, when I need it.

Also, with a Galaxy S3, I spend a lot of time with Android, i.e. still Linux.

(I spent a few hours, yesterday, battling with Windows 7, for a friend. Cured some of his problems.)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 11:45 am

I do have to keep a computer with Windows on it for a task that I have to run monthly. The version of Windows doesn't matter. It's running Windows 2000.

I see no reason to change that. It is most likely that I won't have to run that task much longer. When that happens, I'll install probably OpenBSD on that computer. I might install FreeBSD or NetBSD instead.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 1:48 pm

- openSUSE 12.3 (GNOME) on my server;
- openSUSE Tumbleweed (GNOME) on my desktop;
- Windows 7 on my desktop;
- Ubuntu 12.04 on desktop via WUBI (Windows Ubuntu Installer);
- Debian Sid on my desktop: I usually have one experimental distribution that I use for fun hacks;
- Fedora 18 XFCE on my laptop.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2013, 2:23 pm

Windows 8 and Linux Mint.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 5:23 am

Window7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (dualbooting laptop)

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2013, 6:58 am

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit.

I've thought about going linux many times, but I love Windows.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

On my laptop Windows Vista. * I don't think I need to anything more then that *

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 10:49 am

A couple of days ago, I upgraded the standard SolusOS 3.3.6 kernel to a 3.8.4 kernel. All's good so far, and it seems to run a little bit faster, but the faster running could also be an imaginary placebo.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2013, 5:13 pm

I recently upgraded from Vista PC desktop to Windows 8 laptop. Can't say I want to go back.

techtalknow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2013, 9:27 pm

Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on my MacBook Pro
Windows XP Professional on my coding computer
Windows XP Media Center on my TV
Windows XP Home Edition on our living room computer
Windows 7 Ultimate on my newly aquired Sony VAIO laptop
iOS 6 on my iPhone
iOS 5.1.1 on my iPod Nano (6th gen)
iOS 6.1.4 on my Apple TV (3rd gen)
Windows Vista on my dad's work computer
Ubuntu 12.04 on my other computer
Happauge Tuner Software on the TV in my room (I custom coded my own version)

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:51 am

I have Windows 7 on my desktop along with Linux Mint 14. My laptop runs Linux Mint 14. All are 64 bit. Each OS takes up a hard drive. Keeps things simple.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:52 am

I have Windows 7 on my desktop along with Linux Mint 14. My laptop runs Linux Mint 14. All are 64 bit. Each OS takes up a hard drive. Keeps things simple.

BeautifulTechno
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

I've been using Windows 8 - quite impressed actually. I do not mind the Start screen at all, even though I don't give it use. What's wrong with people, just skip what you don't like and move on. :)