Best Operating System available for every day use.

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Best Operating System available for personal computing
Windows varient 33%  33%  [ 17 ]
Linux varient 53%  53%  [ 27 ]
Os2 varient 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
OSX Mac, Hackintosh 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
BSD varient 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Plan 9 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 51

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 5:44 pm

lol. Hey that's all good. I kind of like the 8O smilely for amusement.

I hope when you get near the end of the download it doesn't bollocks up or anything. Then you have to start all over again.

good luck :salut:

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 7:40 pm

I wonder if Linux might help TallyMan resolve the mysterious "wasted bandwidth" mentioned in another thread. As if windows or maybe malware could be slowing the connection.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 2:25 am

MR_BOGAN wrote:
lol. Hey that's all good. I kind of like the 8O smilely for amusement.

I hope when you get near the end of the download it doesn't bollocks up or anything. Then you have to start all over again.

good luck :salut:

I use Free Download Manager, which handles broken downloads provided the download server supports resumption of such downloads, but most do. I'd be in a real mess without that bit of freeware. Just to add spice, my Internet service provider drops the connection every 8 or 9 hours triggering an automatic redial, with a new IP address so without such ability I'd be screwed for any downloads more than around 100 MB. Unfortunately some sites are not very dial-up friendly, YouTube is a non-starter, they are positively hostile to broken downloads forcing people to go back to the beginning. The site is dead in the water for people like me. Similarly Skype installation which used to have its own crappy downloader that couldn't handle broken connections. Some other software with 2nd rate downloaders also have the same limitation such as Avira anti virus, so that is unuseable too. Generally software that comes with its own installer software is crap and can't handle resumption of broken internet connections.

My computer died a week or so ago and I had to reinstall everything from scratch. I'm currently downloading Microsoft updates. I've got nearly 2 GB left to download via dial-up. It will take several months!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 2:28 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
I wonder if Linux might help TallyMan resolve the mysterious "wasted bandwidth" mentioned in another thread. As if windows or maybe malware could be slowing the connection.

My connection is bad at the best of times, so it doesn't take much to monopolise and kill the connection for doing anything else. I'm keeping a tight reign now on what uses the connection and it appears to be well behaved at the moment with no further sign of unwanted activity.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 7:28 am

I say Windows for only one reason...it's the most dominant OS out there with almost limitless software options. Mac is #2, and it only excels in a few specific areas.

Everything else needs workarounds to use stuff that these other OS platforms offer.

If you aren't into doing your own IT stuff, go with Windows.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 10:28 am

I'm going to say Linux. --I've been using it exclusively for the past couple of years, and I have to say that if I want to run Windows Applications that are not available for Linux, there is always WINE.

Linux is generally a lot more secure than Windows, can be scaled to use far less rescources than Windows, and you really don't have to worry about 'Drive-by' autoinstalling Malware with Linux in the same way that you have to do with Windows.

I'm currently running Crunchbang, which is a variant of Debian Stable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm

The reason I voted for Windows is not because Windows is the best operating system (it most certainly is not!) but because it requires the least level of skill from an everyday user who is using his computer to browse the web or to post in Facebook or to e-mail here and there or to get the latest news.

Windows, as internally clunky as it is, is straightforward for a non-professional to use.

ruveyn

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Windows, as internally clunky as it is, is straightforward for a non-professional to use.

ruveyn

The same thing can be said about Linux these days as well. The only reason why Windows is straightforwards enough for non-professionals to use is because people 'know' how to use windows due to the fact that it's practically what everybody uses.

I just installed the XFCE version of LinuxMint 13 on a ladie's computer due to the fact that she had a piece of malware on here system that completely killed her windows install to the point where it would not recover from the recovery partition. She is using it with no issues, and with a few pointers on how it works.

I also did the same thing a couple years ago for a guy who had the same issue, and he had no further computer troubles with that particular system.

--All it really is, is the fact that people are used to using Windows, and really don't want to try anything differant until circumstances dictate that they should, and then life goes on, albeit without enriching the financial coffers of MicroSoft.

ForeverAloneVirgin
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

For everyday use Linux is best. Unless you specifically needs Windows for something such as gaming or software development then there is no reason not be using Linux.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 8:38 pm

the software I use for audio restoration, is only made for windows [with the exception of sound forge 10].

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

ForeverAloneVirgin wrote:
For everyday use Linux is best. Unless you specifically needs Windows for something such as gaming or software development then there is no reason not be using Linux.

I need Windows for 3D Studio Max--and as a matter of fact, Ubuntu is actually less stable than Windows 7, it decides where to put stuff without your input (and often on a very small partition) and the Ubuntu App Store is poorly optimized and slow. For something that's free it's great, but all those billions that are put into the development of Windows are in fact spent on something useful.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm

Kurgan wrote:
ForeverAloneVirgin wrote:

I need Windows for 3D Studio Max--and as a matter of fact, Ubuntu is actually less stable than Windows 7, it decides where to put stuff without your input (and often on a very small partition) and the Ubuntu App Store is poorly optimized and slow. For something that's free it's great, but all those billions that are put into the development of Windows are in fact spent on something useful.

Understood why you need Windows with #D Studio Max. Also, I agree with you about Ubuntu, though Debian stable, and spins of it are much better choices for Linux as far as stability is concerned.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

Has anyone used Knoppix?

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 6:14 pm

zer0netgain wrote:

I second that, go with Windows.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 1:45 am

back in 1990 [when I first started using puters] if apple had made something affordable which would've accomplished the audio processing tasks I needs a puter for, I would never have bothered with any kind of windows. I would probably have spared myself much grief.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 11:09 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

I second that, go with Windows.

Windows suffices very nicely for the non-professionals. I would not use Windows as a system for developing new software and new operating systems though.

ruveyn