Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:31 am

Re my previous topic here, "How can I find out what my Computer is doing", I bought a registry cleaner, PC Tuneup by Comodo, now I find it has not only failed to fix about 273 of the 290 problems it claimed my computer has, but it has also removed my Taskbar and startup menu on Windows XP, all it does is load a "my Documents"box instead from which I have to access everything.

Anybody know how I can restore my Taskbar?
System restore didnt get it back, the taskbar icon wont open up in control panel.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:34 am

Win key, and R, type in "explorer.exe" and hit enter. Should fix it.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:38 am

"Win key" is that the key next to Ctrl with a circular depression and a Window Icon on it?

I tried pressing that and R at the same time, tried one after the other, tried the other win key, nothing happens?

youwho
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2013, 7:58 am

Try Ctrl-Alt-Delete and bring up Task Manager. (It might come right up, or you might need to click
'Start Task Manager' from the fullscreen list that appears, depending on the version of Windows you have.
Then switch to the 'processes' tab, and sort the list of processes by name (possibly 'Image Name')
by clicking on the first column header.
Scroll down if necessary and see if 'explorer.exe' is already in the list.
If it is in the list right click it and choose 'End Process'

Then click the File Menu on the task manager window and choose 'New Task (Run...)' or similar.
In the box that appears type 'explorer.exe' and choose 'OK'.

The taskbar in windows (95+) is run by the 'shell' (taskbar, desktop icons, my computer, windows explorer etc. etc.),
sometimes the 'shell' process get's itself a bit stuck, so that the taskbar dies but other explorer windows remain.
Running 'explorer.exe' when it is already running will not recreate the taskbar, it will just open an new
'My Computer' window.
By killing off the 'explorer.exe' process you are restarting the shell from scratch, which forces it to
recreate the taskbar.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 3:07 pm

Just tried that, my list initially did not even have explorer.exe, so I did the second part of your suggestion, chose New Task and typed in explorer.exe it then did appear, rebooted computer but it still has no taskbar!

Thanks though.

0bey1sh1n0b1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

Some how the option to boot explorer.exe on start up is no longer a variable in your registry. What was the last thing you did? I'll look for the instructions to restore it in the registry.

Try this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 5eab15dc9b