Page 59 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 93  Next

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 10:49 am

I used to watch a lot of anime back in the day but can't find any good ones to watch nowadays. My favorites are Cowboy Bebop, Wolfs Rain and Revolutionary Girl Utena, though they're pretty old..

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 6:01 pm

^I tried to watch Wolf's Rain, but it was a bit too depressing.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

celestialwolf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2017, 6:47 pm

I consider myself a fan of anime. Although it comes in phases as i can go a long time without watching any anime then watch a bunch in a short amount of time.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:22 pm

I'm with Kura on that but I still loved Wolf's rain before watching thru. I thought it opened very purposefully.

Last year or so I was all about the space piracy, now it's more hard scifi & friends' more abstract stuff.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:37 pm

^Cheza was my favourite character.

Well, only the True Ending is left for me to play in Clannad. I kind of wish two things about the anime now:

1) That it had included Akio's Route [where he says to Sanae 'It's alright. I'm not going anywhere now."]; I nearly cried at that part in the visual novel
2) That Two Shadows had been used as the After Story ending theme

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 8:34 pm

cberg wrote:
Last year or so I was all about the space piracy, now it's more hard scifi & friends' more abstract stuff.

A bit niche. Hard sci-fi I can think of:
Robotics;Notes could be a good pick, it is about trying to make mecha but really limited by realistic tech.
Time of Eve could be a good one, it has robots and concerns about how human they can be.
Planetarian I think will work, it is a Key story with along the lines of Clannad in themes, but it stays pretty hard sci-fi.
Classroom Crisis could work, it kind of deals with economics within scifi.

Oh, and the current airing Astro Boy prequel, Atom: The Beginning, which is set as a sort of midway between the more science fiction of Astro Boy and realistic now.

Talking about currently airing, most of the shows seemed to have been close to or have finished for the season, I will probably give a review of things from the last season soon.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
cberg wrote:

Robotics;Notes could be a good pick, it is about trying to make mecha but really limited by realistic tech.
Time of Eve could be a good one, it has robots and concerns about how human they can be.
Planetarian I think will work, it is a Key story with along the lines of Clannad in themes, but it stays pretty hard sci-fi.

Oh, and the current airing Astro Boy prequel, Atom: The Beginning, which is set as a sort of midway between the more science fiction of Astro Boy and realistic now.

Talking about currently airing, most of the shows seemed to have been close to or have finished for the season, I will probably give a review of things from the last season soon.

A classic speculative fiction animation from Eastern Europe is Fantastic Planet. I would expect other anime fans to find it as interesting as I did.

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2017, 9:01 pm

cberg wrote:
I'm with Kura on that but I still loved Wolf's rain before watching thru. I thought it opened very purposefully.

If you want a hard sci-fi space travel anime, give Planetes a try. For anything else space-related and hard sci-fi I've only got stuff that isn't anime/manga.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 10:11 pm

I'm watching Shuffle again. Yuko Goto has impressed me with a lot of her work, and she had a fantastic role in Kaede. The show plays to a lot of tropes, embracing the fan service harem concept, but the plot has some great twists for each character.

The first episode of Shuffle has some terrible art. They fix it by the third episode. Watching Shiro Bako changed my perspective, so that I think about how shows get made and notice who drew the key scenes.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 11:07 am

I wonder what the next Key Arts project will be?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:44 am

Okay, I think I have watched enough to give a pretty good summary of the past season. Within the last week or so I have watched the last episodes of: Love Tyrant, Attack on Titan Season 2, Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor, Alice & Zoroku, The Royal Tutor, Clockwork Planet, Armed Girls' Machiavellism, Saekano: How To Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat, Granblue Fantasy, Hinako Note, Twin Angels BREAK, Eromanga Sensei, The Eccentric Family 2, Tsugumomo, ID-0, Grimoire of Zero, Anonymous Noise, Frame Arms Girl, Little Witch Academia, and SukaSuka. For a total of 20 shows, with Sword Oratoria, Atom The Beginning, KADO: The Right Answer, Tsukigakirei, and Sagrada Reset, to have their final episode I think in coming weeks. And finally, it looks like My Hero Academia Season 2, Sakura Quest, Re:Creators, and Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, will be continuing on into the next cour.

After that jumble of words, to summarise for those not familiar with how many shows I can watch at once, that 29 different show that I have been keeping track of weekly. It really gets to me at one of these four times a year where I summarise as a review on another forum at this time. So many good or bad shows. SukaSuka was the latest one, and felt one of the most emotionally draining, kind of finally delivering on what it had set out to do from the beginning. Little Witch Academia was one of the most fulfilling, man I love Trigger and was so happy it was a double cour series. Frame Arms Girl was a kind of hidden gem of the season.

Shoujo lost out to me personally with The Royal Tutor and Anonymous Noise, two that I have gone on a rant about, although a number of shows were a bit of a disappointment like Armed Girls' Machiavellism, . As far as magical school anime go, Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor kind of defied expectations in being good. I also enjoyed The Eccentric Family 2 much more than the first, and I might say that for My Hero Academia 2 which has been hitting it out of the park.

Anyway, I don’t think professional anime reviewers have to watch as much as what I have. I need a break, I also got some DVDs of things I also should check out. And this also means next season is starting soon. Look on My Works, Ye Mighty, and Despair!

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 2:24 pm

Well, I finished the Clannad visual novel after 45 hours of playtime. I was greatly surprised to discover that anime Tomoya is much, much nicer than VN Tomoya. Plus the anime [well, the Japanese version, at least], barely has any swear words, whereas in the visual novel, Tomoya swears quite a bit [especially around Sunohara...hmm...]

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 1:56 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
cberg wrote:

You forgot about the anime simply titled Planetes.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 5:25 pm

I loved Love Tyrant and Hinako Note from this past season. New Game here I come.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 12:42 pm

Has anyone heard about the new animated Castlevania series, apparently an adaptation of Castlevania III?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:40 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Has anyone heard about the new animated Castlevania series, apparently an adaptation of Castlevania III?

Apparently it is a Western animation, which would probably be good in ways since it is apparently on Netflix. Which has otherwise been waiting until an anime series is done before officially releasing it in full, this has been what they had done with Little Witch Academia, and in the past had some like Kuromukuro and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. It also means that most like all the episodes will come out at once, which in my mentality I find hard to not just consider a movie to watch them all at once.