Page 2 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 3:46 pm

I'm with those who said that there's always been good and bad pop music. I was a kid in the 1990s, and I much prefer M.I.A., Arctic Monkeys, and Kaiser Chiefs to "dub-i-dub-dub, I don't need your love anymoooooooooooore..." or "I'm blue da-ba-dee-da-boo-dai...." and "what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more"

Or take the seventies... depending on personal opinion, for every Billy Joel you had a Boney M.

I think the trashiness of mainstream music goes up and down in waves... now we have Lady Gaga (hate her or lover her; me, I can't decide! :)) spearheading a trend which found its ultimate expression in her "The Fame" album... while in 2005, it seemed as though downloading at the cost of physical sales of CDs made it necessary for bands to perform well live... and many bands on festivals deliver.
The current mainstream and urban pop is not my cup of tea... I just can't get into the sound. Maybe it's because I've grown out of my teenage years, or maybe I'll really like the NEXT big trend, I dunno.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:50 am

Music started to suck in the 2000's. It lost all that soul and rhythm from the previous decades...

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 21, 2017)

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm

I think music is still pretty awesome today. I do certainly notice a decline in quality for a good part of the industry, but I don't think the decline was as severe as people made it out to be. I still love current Top 40 music, but maybe just in a different way than that I love hits before Y2K.

But if anything, I think that digital downloads have disrupted the traditional formats for listening to music. Being able to expose the critical masses to good-quality music or TV shows was a lot easier with the traditional forms of music distribution.

I also believe that digital downloads, it might have disrupted the likelihood of any success and recognition from bands and artists on a more local scale.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 6:22 pm

March 26th, 1827. That's when music started to suck.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 11:48 pm

Aristophanes wrote:

Tell me how.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 9:15 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Tell me how.

I think he is referring to the death of Ludwig von Beethoven.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 9:28 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Tell me how.

You are correct.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:06 am

Aristophanes wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Tell me how.

You are correct.

I can understand. Classical music sounds beautiful.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:11 pm

It started to suck when people aren't actively looking for music.

NightEclipse
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2017, 9:51 pm

I'd say around 1991-1992, when grunge came about.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 12:59 pm

Most of it always did. Usually, only the "highlights" from past eras are replayed.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 10:14 am

donnie_darko wrote:
I think mainstream music began to suck around 2002 and indie music started to get worse around 2007. Today's music is definitely not as good as 60s, 70s, 80s or even 90s music, even the kids realize that for the most part. I guess that's just my opinion though.

Backstreet Boys/Spice Girls era.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 3:25 pm

The reason why the music scene seems to suck so horribly today is because people tend to remember the bands that are worth remembering, and they tend to forget the bands that are worth forgetting. Let the flashes in the pans have their moment in the spotlight. Pretty soon, they will be selling their CDs for a quarter at Goodwill while the bands people want to remember will still be sought after. There always has been bad music hogging the spotlight. The thing about it is nobody talks about most of those musicians anymore.

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2017, 8:44 am

This is an old topic...

Anyway. I think I wrote a whole rant on this once, oops. It's not that current music sucks. For one, you gotta seek out what you consider to be the "good" music - just as you probably would have had to back then. You can't just base your opinion on what's on the charts because there is modern music beyond that.

Plus I always see people saying "oh, these songs nowadays, all about sex drugs, blah blah..." but when listening to music from older times like the 80s in my personal opinion I'm still seeing as much of that kinda stuff in the songs anyway, maybe the meaning might be more hidden in some songs but it's there. And why does that automatically make a song bad?

We have enough intelligence to decide what we should take as gospel and what we shouldn't, so songs don't always have to have meaning, we can just enjoy them (although it does get problematic when it starts encouraging really bad things. but we need to learn that hey, we don't have to take this word for word, it can just be a stupid little guilty pleasure song like "oh you listen to that idiot Bob Crackers?" (Idk I made it up) "well, yeah man, his lyrics are terrible but the beat is good.") Idk.

Also what's already been said above. You remember the good music of those times bc it made an influence on you, not what you might consider bad music bc why would you want to do that unless it's a joke like that fox song. And in some people's cases it was part of their youth which people tend to treasure so they might miss the meaning in old songs anyway and come back to it and listen and be like "oh my god this whole thing is a big innuendo, how did I not see that" or they make a really big thing out of that music bc it reminds them their youth which a lot of people are like "ooh, yeah those were the days."

P.s I'm not calling you old. Or saying that you have bad music taste. Quite the opposite, music is the same as always, you just gotta mine for the music you like.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

I don't think music starts to suck, but our relationship to the changes in music become more estranged, more difficult to relate to. Music, with a capital M, is enormously broad and varied. When it comes to Art and Music, you get what you bring to it. The object itself has no merit except what we perceive. That's why person A can love something that provides an experience (broadly speaking that is ANYTHING), and person B will think its garbage. When person B says Philip Glass is repetitive and boring, that's molding the world from their point of view. I know they are not right. The music is not garbage. They just cannot relate to it, because in this particular example, I find Philip Glass's music at times transcendent. So I try never to say "that painting is awful" or "that movie is crap" or "that music is garbage." I genuinely say I cannot find anything in it. That's not the "things" fault, it's mine.

But if I had to answer the question, I'd say the '60s. Everything after the '60s is crap, except for all the other stuff that I like. :wink:

I just read blackpaladin's post below the edit window, and I agree. I also would add sex, drugs, blah blah... describes the 60s too. Sex, it true of some music from the '20s too. I bet if we did some historical digging, we could find some music from Mozart's time and beyond that were considered a bit "Ooo La La" in nature. There was popular music back then as well.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 8:23 pm

I believe music started to suck in the 90s, but I was too young to notice. Some of the stuff I remember listening to back then *shudders*.

My favourite musical decade is the 70s.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~