Best Representation of Asperger's/Autism on film

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rudgitator
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2011, 12:40 pm

I too think Punch Drunk Love is a compelling demonstration of an undiagnosed Asperger's character. Of all the films and shows I've seen, P.D.L. is the only one I can point to and say, "That is what it is like".

TheSnarkKnight
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2011, 12:56 pm

Slingblade.

Michele in American Pie.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 1:17 pm

A Serious Man.
The lead character's brother was a perfect example. He was a mathematical genius, and tried to be sociable. And yet, he was naive and unworldly to the point of being childlike. Despite his talents, he was unable to support himself, and had to live off the charity of his brother.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

01 Apr 2011, 6:43 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Don't beat me up for this but I always enjoyed the characterization of Napoleon Dynamite and I think it's very Asperger-y the way he presents himself and get easily irritated with people. I can totally relate. :lol:

I love Napoleon Dynamite.

My default answer for questions is "Whatever I FEEL like doing, GOSH!"

"Tina, come get some HAM!"

"Girls only want guys who have really good skills, you know...computer hacking skills...numchuk skills..."

"Can I have your tots?"

Okay. I'll stop now.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

01 Apr 2011, 6:45 pm

Oh!

If you've ever seen the movie Dear John (Nicholas Sparks adaptation)
John's dad is Autistic-
he even has a meltdown in the car when they're going to see new people.

(That was a heartbreaking scene for me, because I can totally relate, though I'm not quite that bad.)

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 10:10 pm

I would agree with Punch Drunk Love. Before I was diagnosed with AS I saw a lot of myself in Sandler's character.

I liked Mozart and the Whale enough to buy it on DVD. The biggest problem I had with it was they spent way too much time explaining what it was like to have AS rather than just demonstrating it.

Which is what I liked about Adam, that they explained a few things, but mostly let Adam show what it was like.

Temple Grandin was a great movie. There were a number of times, particularly the scenes where she's visualizing associations, that I could point to and say, "I do that!"

Ben X was another great movie with an AS lead character. It really showed just how cruel people can be towards those that are seen as different. Great ending, too.

Another one that I think is about a character who could potentially have undiagnosed AS is Untamed Heart with Christian Slater as a character named Adam. He keeps to himself, doesn't really know how to interact with people, shy, and is very intelligent.

Supposedly the recent movie Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey, Jr., gave the lead character some AS qualities. One instance in particular was the scene in the restaurant where it seems like he gets overwhelmed by all the activity and small details he's picking up. I saw that scene and could immediately identify with it.

Mary and Max is another really good movie, imo. Max is an adult with AS in NYC who enters into a pen pal relationship with Mary, a young girl in Australia. It's filmed in Claymation. I also have this one on DVD.

I don't know if anyone else would consider his character autistic or AS, but in the movie Unleashed Jet Li plays Danny, a man who'd been raised since childhood to be a violent fighter/killer. While not really autism, I remember reading somewhere that Jet Li worked with a psychologist and observed autistic children to help him prepare for the role.

Those are the ones I can think of for now.

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2011, 7:13 am

I would say 'Temple Grandin' because it covers a wide range of topics, is very well acted and a great inspirational story.

I think Charlie Kaufman played by Nicolas Cage in 'Adaption' is very aspie, and being my favourite film I had to mention it.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 10:01 pm

Autistic - The black balloon Charlie and Raymond, I also think the brother (name escapes me has Aspergers).

Les Miserables - I have a feeling Javert shows lots of Aspie traits.

So I'm never in a rush

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 2:44 am

Reg Barcley in Star Trek

yup :)

And Adam is great, I liked how AS wasn't talked about a lot in it, he just acted it, and I liked how *SPOLIERS* it had a sad ending, Mozart and the whale was to happy, and my general rule of thumb is: if the autistic lead is a savant, then it's a bad movie about autism, which is another reason I liked Adam: he isn't a savant.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 5:53 am

Snow Cake and Ben X are the most believable. My favourite one has to be Snow Cake though because of the use of humour in some of the scenes. Ben X is a little depressing, it's even filmed with a blue tint.

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2011, 1:21 pm

just seen this article on the guardian website about autism represented on film

link

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2011, 1:55 pm

I just watched Adam for the first time. Being recently sure I have AS (or something like it!) I shed some tears during the movie, at the end though, I cried a lot. I haven't cried this much in 7 years. Since my best friend wanted to kill herself :? I don't even know why I cried so much now, I donno if I felt sad or happy. I'm very confused right now, shall be alright though, always pulled trough.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 2:31 pm

just watched The Accidental Tourist again.
also, i love it how being directionally-challenged is not only depicted on film here, but made an incidental part of the story that the other characters simply accept.

reasoning." --William Blake

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2011, 7:36 pm

I recently rented Adam and I liked it. I had no idea Punch Drunk Love was an aspie flick, and I'm definitely going to check that out! In Sherlock Holmes, Robert Downey Jr reminded me a lot of me. :P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 6:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
A Serious Man.
The lead character's brother was a perfect example. He was a mathematical genius, and tried to be sociable. And yet, he was naive and unworldly to the point of being childlike. Despite his talents, he was unable to support himself, and had to live off the charity of his brother.

Since then, I've seen the movie Temple Grandin, which I now consider to be the best movie on autism I've ever seen.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 5:01 pm

what about the movie MOLLY with Elisabeth Shue?

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity