Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

01 Aug 2010, 5:32 pm

I haven't seen Adam, but I have seen movies about autism that portray the disorder in a more positive and sensitive light. Rain Man is a good one, for example. Has anyone seen that one? It's a little older, but still worth seeing, I think. If you haven't, rent it. Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman give very moving performances in this film.
Also worth seeing is Temple Grandin on HBO. Again, if you haven't seen it, check it out. She is an amazing woman, who has beat incredible odds. Claire Danes plays the part beautifully.
Autism should be portrayed in a more realistic light, which I think is true of both films. Why they decided to make a romantic comedy about the disorder, I have no idea. Again, I haven't seen Adam, and after I read the reviews and saw the trailer online when the film was first released two years ago, I'm not sure I'd want to. There is nothing funny about autism. It is a very serious disorder, that many people have to live with every day. Despite what people might think of us, we can function just as well as they can. We just do it a little differently, that's all. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 6:19 pm

Aimless recommended Punch Drunk Love to me a few weeks back and though I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler, his character in it displays a lot of Aspergian behavior, even though the script never specifies that that's why he is so peculiar.

I noticed that the director even makes use of soundtrack music and ambient background noise to give you a sense of what he's experiencing when situations start to overwhelm him. Its very subtly done, but for me at least, when the situation occurring to or around the character started to get chaotic, I started feeling overwhelmed and out of control just watching it. Strange little film, but I think anyone who lives with Autism would watch it and think "Boy, I know what THAT feels like.'

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 6:25 pm

Mozart and the Whale is probably the best movie about AS that I have ever seen. Its fairly realistic too. They put a lot of effort into it. There used to be little clips on youtube that you could watch, but I'm not sure if they are still there.

EDIT: Yep, still there....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQWPPI8cT8&NR=1[/youtube]

Note that Mozart and the Whale is a romantic love story about two aspies that fall in love and is supposed to be based on a true story. It is neither a technical dissection of aspie traits nor a comedy based on making fun of aspie traits. I think the movie is very atypical in terms of aspie relationships, but not impossible either. This is not a hot-girl-falls-for-nerd type romance movie, but definitely one of significant substance.

Last edited by n4mwd on 03 Aug 2010, 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2010, 7:06 pm

"Mary and Max" is the best aspie film I've seen.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 9:18 pm

the real temple grandin was in a bbc 1 hr documentary called the woman who thinks like a cow better than the hbo movie by far it's tv........but......surely we can all laugh at the big bang theory on cbs

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 5:30 pm

I've seen Mozart and the Whale which is very good, What is Mary and Max about?

ShadowGirl87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2010, 10:31 am

I think "Dinner for Schmucks" is aspie movie... I think^^; a very good, hilarious movie tho.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 9:33 pm

I always felt the main character from Titan A.E. was AS and I can see it in the other human characters as well but then perhaps that is because Titan A.E. is one of my special intrests.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:01 am

PunkyKat wrote:
I always felt the main character from Titan A.E. was AS and I can see it in the other human characters as well but then perhaps that is because Titan A.E. is one of my special intrests.

Cale? How so?

I used to love Titan A.E. when I was younger. It's one of my favorite animated movies.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:50 pm

ShenLong wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

Cale? How so?

I used to love Titan A.E. when I was younger. It's one of my favorite animated movies.

Let's see. Cale relates well to aliens and machinery but seems rather akward around other humans. Can fix anything by out of the box thinking (there is a deleted scene where he fixed Korso's drink machine by tapping the insides) he is able to fix Gune's map thing by punching in random numbers and when the Titan's power cells are broken he fixes it to run on drej energy. I can't see an NT knowing how to do all that.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:06 pm

I just watched Mozart and the Whale and it was TERRIBLE! I absolutely hated the portrayal of Aspergers I mean Donald and Isabels portrayal was good if not a little bit more severe than usual but that support group!? Those people DID NOT have Aspergers! They were SEVERELY AUTISTIC! That LIE stating they had Aspergers RUINED the movie for me and made me feel immensely offended and worried that somebody might see the movie and believe I was like those people in the movie without even getting a chance to know me! I think this movie should be boycotted!

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:46 pm

The American Pie films, I watch them just for Michelle. I swear that girl has Aspergers. :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 4:05 pm

Don't laugh, but The Watchmen.
I believe Dr. Manhattan definitely comes across as high functioning autistic.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm

if there really is a god, please make me dr manhattan.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:15 am

Xenu wrote:
I just watched Mozart and the Whale and it was TERRIBLE! I absolutely hated the portrayal of Aspergers I mean Donald and Isabels portrayal was good if not a little bit more severe than usual but that support group!? Those people DID NOT have Aspergers! They were SEVERELY AUTISTIC! That LIE stating they had Aspergers RUINED the movie for me and made me feel immensely offended and worried that somebody might see the movie and believe I was like those people in the movie without even getting a chance to know me! I think this movie should be boycotted!

While it was an asperger's support group, there were clearly non-aspies in it. The only two characters that definitely had aspergers were the main two and they were really the only ones that count.

Compare that to Jerry from Boston legal. How many aspies do you know that are like him. He is totally way off base in his AS portrayal.

But, compared to others, I really haven't found a movie about AS characters that was better even though Mozart and the Whale clearly has flaws.

SierraStoneshield
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2010, 1:19 pm

Princess78 wrote:
I haven't seen Adam, but I have seen movies about autism that portray the disorder in a more positive and sensitive light. Rain Man is a good one, for example. Has anyone seen that one? It's a little older, but still worth seeing, I think. If you haven't, rent it. Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman give very moving performances in this film.
Also worth seeing is Temple Grandin on HBO. Again, if you haven't seen it, check it out. She is an amazing woman, who has beat incredible odds. Claire Danes plays the part beautifully.
Autism should be portrayed in a more realistic light, which I think is true of both films. Why they decided to make a romantic comedy about the disorder, I have no idea. Again, I haven't seen Adam, and after I read the reviews and saw the trailer online when the film was first released two years ago, I'm not sure I'd want to. There is nothing funny about autism. It is a very serious disorder, that many people have to live with every day. Despite what people might think of us, we can function just as well as they can. We just do it a little differently, that's all. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Ugh, why do we need to take ASD so seriously? To me, mental disorders (for lack pf a better term) is the same thing as skin tone, it's not good or bad, it's just there. I'd love to see a romantic comedy concerning autistic people, so long as they don't pander to inaccurate stereotypes.

Also, I think you kinda contradicted your "serious condition" statement by saying that we can do anything just as well as neurotypical people. When I think Serious Condition, I think Cancer. You know, something that people DIE from