Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 2:43 pm

I'm talking about lines or dialogue that is often overused from film to film.

One example that really pisses me off is when the villain says to the hero "We're not so different you and I" especially when the film showed very little to NO SIMILARITIES between the hero and the villain.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 2:55 pm

This is down to a lack of imagination on the part of the writers. Almost all versions of such plots have been exhausted now.

Hollywood is now pretty much lots of explosions and the hero staggering off with the girl.

YAWN.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 3:09 pm

In the 1990's there was a Disney cartoon on TV called Raw Toonage, and in one episode they had spoof of an ad for a Hollywood movie where it's all just explosions. No plot, no cast, nothing except buildings and other things blowing up, because that's what people apparently only *really* want to see when they watch an action movie. :lol:

That was just too scarily close to what movies are now. They just don't care about plot or talent or skill in writing, acting, and dialogue.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 3:17 pm

"Not So Different"

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, rival archaeologist Rene Belloq provides a definitive example of this trope when he taunts the protagonist, Indiana Jones.

"You and I are very much alike.  Archeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith.  Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend.  I am but a shadowy reflection of you.  It would take only a nudge to make you like me.  To push you out of the light."

TV Tropes has page after page on nothing but these hackneyed phrases.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Robbie Sallos
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2020, 7:47 pm

"You lied to me." There must be more than one way to word that. "Lying bastid" or something.