Page 72 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 93  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 3:20 am

Canary wrote:
I got into a couple newer series recently, mainly The Ancient' Magus' Bride, March Comes in Like a Lion, and Recovery of an MMO Addict. They're the only ones I've liked lately.

I have really been enjoying those too. The Ancient' Magus' Bride has some beautiful bits of classic fairy lore, which I have had a specific interest in. March Comes in Like a Lion is a pretty amazing show about things like dealing depression, showing the journey of a guy with it which somehow feels comforting rather than you would think depressing to the viewer. And Recovery of an MMO Junkie is a pretty awesome romantic comedy that feels fresh with some usual aspects, but with a heroine that feels relatable despite being her own character, coming across as cute because I think actually not trying to make the character as cute.

It has had a bit of Yuri baiting, but another show this season, Konohana Kitan, has also kind of shown itself a few episodes in to be pretty great. It is about Kitsune working at some sort of supernatural hotel, with some pretty fine introspection.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 4:19 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Canary wrote:
I got into a couple newer series recently, mainly The Ancient' Magus' Bride, March Comes in Like a Lion, and Recovery of an MMO Addict. They're the only ones I've liked lately.

I have really been enjoying those too. The Ancient' Magus' Bride has some beautiful bits of classic fairy lore, which I have had a specific interest in. March Comes in Like a Lion is a pretty amazing show about things like dealing depression, showing the journey of a guy with it which somehow feels comforting rather than you would think depressing to the viewer. And Recovery of an MMO Junkie is a pretty awesome romantic comedy that feels fresh with some usual aspects, but with a heroine that feels relatable despite being her own character, coming across as cute because I think actually not trying to make the character as cute.

Agreed. I haven't gotten too far into March Comes in Like a Lion, but I'm starting to see those references in the opening in particular, and how I relate to some of the things Rei is feeling about playing Shogi. It actually made me want to learn the game a little bit. Probably pretty hard, though.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2017, 10:28 am

Has anyone else seen In This Corner Of The World? Very good and beautifully animated movie about a girl living during Hiroshima. I got my nana to watch it and she also liked it.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 3:38 am

I'm watching Clannad, more specifically After Story. Waited until I finished the visual novel before watching the animation. I'm surprised at how good the animation quality is and how well it adapts the content.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 9:33 pm

Ooh, Clannad is my favourite anime.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:45 am

I finished Shinsekai Yori after about a half year of watching it. Had to go back and rewatch episodes because it had been a while since I started watching. It sure had some great world building, even if the final payoff ultimately wasn't satisfying. Was definitely worth watching though. A solid science fiction show, an 8/10 for me.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 8:01 pm

I still haven't watched the Persona 4 anime. Maybe I'll wait until I play P4 Golden.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:29 pm

I just finished watching Clannad. The animation was excellent and consistent in quality, and made some characters stand out a bit more than they did in the visual novel, such as Fuko. I enjoyed it a lot, they really nailed some of the pivotal scenes, and the way they handled merging different routes into one timeline was done about as well as could have been done. Visual novel to anime adaptations often suffer from this, with a seemingly disparate hodgepodge of smaller story arcs being presented. Though I didn't personally like how they embellished the Yukine arc with a bit of over the top drama, it didn't really need it and frankly it seemed all seemed a bit absurd having characters suddenly deciding to pretend to be violent gang members... in order to stop the violence of the actual violent gang members.

I have some minor gripes like how there was never a huge sense of the main character growing over the events of the series. The visual novel had the character in a much worse place initially, brooding and aimless, and it was only through his relationships, particularly with the Furukaka family that he begun to change. Also it shares the same issues with the storyline with major plot developments revolving around inadequately explained elements. However I would still highly recommend both the visual novel or the anime, with a slight edge to the visual novel. It's a great drama/romance animation that goes into territory that isn't often touched upon. The anime is a solid 8.5/10.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 1:50 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I finished Shinsekai Yori after about a half year of watching it. Had to go back and rewatch episodes because it had been a while since I started watching. It sure had some great world building, even if the final payoff ultimately wasn't satisfying. Was definitely worth watching though. A solid science fiction show, an 8/10 for me.

What didn't you find satisfying in the final? To me it ended the way it was meant to end.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 2:03 am

I am quite an anime fan myself, I personally like psychological horror, action, romance - reverse harem and slice of life. Some of my favorite shows are:

• Shiki
• Parasyte
• Brothers Conflict
• Another
• Amnesia
• Kamigami no Asobi
• Blood Lad
• High School of the Dead
• Paranoia Agent
• Diabolik Lovers
• Free!
• Attack on Titan
• Deadman Wonderland
• One Punch Man
• Dance with Devils
• Orange
• Black Butler
• We Without Wings
• My Hero Academia
• Elfen Lied
• Dragon Ball Z
• Future Diary
• Say "I love you"

My Hero Academia Opening 2

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 5:11 am

MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
I am quite an anime fan myself, I personally like psychological horror, action, romance - reverse harem and slice of life.

Okay, I will take the challenge at trying to name something that has some of all or most of those.
Maybe Ghost Hunt, a female heroine with horror elements, and some romance and still some action.

Magical Girl Raising Project, although I might have just want to say it after its psychological horror elements.

You said One Punch Man, so despite it not having any of the elements you said you would looking for, I would recommend Mob Psycho 100, it is by the same manga author and has same elements, but it not quite being a super hero show I think can mean it be easily missed despite some calling it even better.

Land of the Lustrous, it is a current airing show, and maybe even does not seem to fit into the prerequisites, the characters are after all genderless gem people, but for some reason it is jumping out at me.

You already said the best reverse hare, Kamigami no Asobi, so there is not a go much up. Maybe Kiss Him Not Me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:48 am

Tollorin wrote:
What didn't you find satisfying in the final? To me it ended the way it was meant to end.

I felt that the characters and society were unchanged as a result of the events of the series. The status quo was maintained, and if anyone learnt any lessons, this did not translate to meaningful action. Throughout the story the main character is built up to be the person who is going to shoulder the burden of guiding the ethical decisions of society. She reacts as you'd expect with horror to revelation after revelation about the history of her civilisation. But at the end after she has realised everything, she performs one small act of defiance against society in some attempt at atonement. That act of atonement is insignificant and if anything it makes the ending worse. Then everyone goes back to their regular life. A happy ending for a bunch of characters that don't really feel like they deserve it.

I think the ending would have been much better if in that final act of defiance the main character died. In her death she would have realised that she had finally recognised in that character their humanity, noting that they were not that different from one another, having both taken actions that valued individual worth over the collective. Only posthumously in the investigation of her death would people have realised the truth through genetic testing, though Satoru would have known the truth also 'in his heart', a truth that would then be disseminated among the populace and lead to civil unrest in support of equal rights.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

I'm kind of excited for the Persona 5 anime coming out next year. :D

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

10 Dec 2017, 6:43 pm

Anybody see Yuri!! ! on Ice? I have seen little of it, but I like it. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 7:43 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Anybody see Yuri!! ! on Ice? I have seen little of it, but I like it. :D

I've seen some of it but I haven't gotten around to finishing it.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 6:35 pm

I enjoyed Yuri On Ice. It was novel, well paced and was realistic in its depiction of its characters. The animation, though inconsistent was mostly really good too.

Right now I'm currently watching The Ancient Magus' Bride. I'm enjoying it a lot, it has great animation and I love the setting based on European mythology. The best series I've seen and watched to completion this year have been My Hero Academia's second season and Miss Koyabashi's Dragon Maid. MyAnimeList 2017