Page 4 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 93  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 3:08 am

Danpan has been bad, as I posted in another site, the recent episode failed incredibly because most of the clues turned out to be red herrings that made almost no sense, and all the real clues either came out of nowhere (being left out), or just seemed stupid. The reasons to trust obvious sociopath was stupid.

I wonder if any of you are watching Stella C3 Bu? I was a fan of Girls un Panzer, and the similar military themes have been fun. And some great character development that I don't see happen very often to this extent.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 3:36 pm

I have Watched the first 3 episodes of Stella C3 Bu. I am enjoying it though the slice of life aspects similar to Nichijou don't seem to be there yet.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Aug 2013, 5:19 pm

Jyu-Oh-Sei is one of my favorites. I also love the old and new Fullmetal Alchemist shows, Hetalia, Chobits, and a few others I can't seem to think of.

Sciuridae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 9:31 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Danpan has been bad, as I posted in another site, the recent episode failed incredibly because most of the clues turned out to be red herrings that made almost no sense, and all the real clues either came out of nowhere (being left out), or just seemed stupid. The reasons to trust obvious sociopath was stupid.

This.

In the visual novel version of Dangan Ronpa, all of the mysteries that came up could be solved reasonably by the player, as is necessary for the genre. In the anime, they present confusing non-evidence to throw people off the track. I'm not saying that the cases in the VN were perfect, but they had much better presentation in the game, and had much more logical conclusions based on those presentations.

Also, due to the fact that there is a week of discussion between every episode, most of the details of the plot were correctly guessed by fans at some point, even if spoilers were banned. Discussion of the first episodes of the anime which doesn't have at least have one post giving away or hinting at Fujisaki's major spoiler, if not directly discussing the culprits or victims to come, is rare. If every plot twist is predicted, then all of them will also be expected.

That being said, I might be a bit harsh on the show because I already know the plot as it was originally presented.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:50 am

I love weird anime scenes just as much as normal anime scenes. Episode 4 of Stella Jogakuin Koutou-Ka C3-Bu had a couple weird anime scenes. Love all the characters. Hope it lasts for awhile.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm

Girls und Panzer has exceeded my expectations. I just finished Another, and it really creeped me out. I rarely enjoy horror, but I enjoyed that one a lot. Oreimo really was that cute!

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm

I've been looking to get back into anime and would like to find a deep anime with similar characteristics to the Legend of Korra cartoon that is not called FMA. Anyone have a name?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:30 pm

Epsilon wrote:
I've been looking to get back into anime and would like to find a deep anime with similar characteristics to the Legend of Korra cartoon that is not called FMA. Anyone have a name?

Perhaps Durarara!!, it probably as and although it is fairly rooted in reality (as real as something with a dulahan) I think characters might have similarities.

I am always partial to Fairy Tail, you get the magic powers, it is fun and the characters have deep elements.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 10:50 pm

I think I like the new Genshiken even better than the original. I just watched the current episode, and I was laughing hysterically.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention Bakemonogatari and the rest of the Monogatari series. I want to buy it, but only Blu-Ray is available, and the prices are high!

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 1:15 am

Though I don't really care for Fairy Tail (far too similar to One Piece in more ways than one), Hiro Mashima (the anime producer) confirmed a month ago that production will continue on the series - http://www.jefusion.com/2013/03/fairy-t ... shima.html - so I guess numbers won out. No idea if Funimation will continue dubbing it. Probably will though.

Can anyone recommend any more anime that isn't so ... obviously pandering to straight men? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Girls und Panzer and Strike Witches and Clannad the like are bad, but trying out Chobits yesterday made me feel really dirty -- the bad kind of dirty. (then again, I'm not really the target audience - and before anyone recommends that swimming club Free anime, I'm not into that either!) I don't mind fanservice but I'd rather have a plot to carry things along.

So yeah, I'm basically looking for another novel-to-anime adaptation like Kokoro Connect (a big thank you to whoever recommended that - wonderful series!), Ruroni Kenshin, Shinsekai Yori , Kemono no Souja: Erin and Jyu-Oh-Sei. You know, decent character development and the like; I don't mind the setting and I don't mind some comedy, as long as it's tasteful (ie. Arakawa Under the Bridge or Yakitate Ja-Pan!) Anyone got any ideas?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:24 am

BlankCanvas wrote:
So yeah, I'm basically looking for another novel-to-anime adaptation like Kokoro Connect (a big thank you to whoever recommended that - wonderful series!),

Your welcome, I really enjoyed it myself. I was so happy with how things turned out for my favourite character, it made me really become a fan of her voice actress. I can see how Chobits can make you feel dirty from watching it, I had the same feeling, which only really drifted when I got into the good parts of the series.

You already said no to Free, so I can not sarcastically trick you into watching that now. Because it is on my mind, I might bring up if you have seen Sword Art Online, it is based on a novel, and is incredibly popular.

Actually you might find more luck with My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, it kind of goes into the muck of teen relationships similar to Kokoro Connect, and it is not what you would expect with something with that sort of name. Basically it pretty much ignores most tropes of being a romantic comedy and can be rather dramatic, a show that rewards the careful viewer, which I would say I got out of Kokoro Connect also. I would describe it as Haganai, the way it should have been (not counting Haganai's second season which was awesome), barely any fanservice. On that note I recommend Watamote if you have not already, it is my favourite current airing anime, I find that funny because I can sympathise a lot with the main character.

On a whim I will also recommend some of my personal favourite melancholic anime; Kurenai (not the Naruto character), is a very sweet story that affected me days afterwards. And I am not sure what your gender is, but I might recommend Sasameki Koto, now this was a yuri anime, and I expected it to be disgusting fanservice aimed at guys, but I ended up finding it incredibly enjoyable, it was a very sweet anime that handled the subject of same sex relationships so maturely and not pandering, in fact I would say the formulae would appeal to both genders. Also genuinely funny, I might recommend at least watching the first episode to see the heart that it has.

I suppose I should also mention something that has really strong character development. For that I can't mention Black Rock Shooter enough, the action is nice, but my favourite draw is the characters, how they develop through the series.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 9:20 am

As novel-to-anime adaptions go, I liked The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Spice & Wolf well enough to buy the novels. Kokoro Connect was terrific, as was SOA.

Any other Hidamari Sketch fans around?

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 2:45 pm

Alas, I'll be ignoring Sword Art Online completely - I'm not really the intended audience as I don't game and I had a very difficult time trying to get into hack.sign in the past. Besides, I heard as novel adaptations go, it's on par with Shakugan no Shana... (ie. the main characters takes a very very long time to develop, if at all)

Haruhi Suzumiya I didn't like - from the four episodes I saw several years ago, it seemed like a slice-of-life/light comedy relative of When The Cicadas Cry (in terms of non-linear storytelling)... maybe it was the first of its type in the US or something... I don't know, I couldn't work out what was going on (not that I'm stupid or anything, I was perfectly fine with the movie Memento).

That said, I'll try out the others (though, I'm very sceptical of Spice and Wolf because of what I read in the manga - please, please tell me that there's far more to it than that horse-and-cart scene). My humble thanks go out to everyone who answered; I'm afraid we don't get that much anime in the UK (unless it's kiddie merchandise paraphernalia) and it's a minefield trying to find something new to get into that doesn't have skirts flapping or super-powered fighting...

Oh and for the record, I'm male but I don't like material like DearS or Elfen Lied; I prefer female characters that are actually written like human beings ie. Nana, Paradise Kiss, Hataraki Man. Not that I'm saying anime with Orihime-style characters are bad and don't have their audience; they do, of course. I'm just into anime for different reasons. Mostly storytelling.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:47 pm

I haven't read the Spice and Wolf manga, but the characters do spend a lot of time talking (if that's what you mean :? ). Madoka Magica has a great story.

Oh yeah. What about Natsuyuki Rendezvous?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 1:24 pm

I finished We Without Wings, Under the Innocent Sky. For the first few episodes, it seemed like a disjointed, random story without much going for it besides the unabashed fanservice (much of which is censored on CR, but not on the DVDs). However, once the plot started to come together it got quite intense, and I developed a deep interest in the characters.

My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu had me from the first episode. I feel very interested to see how it develops.

Kobato has come to mind several times during the last week. CLAMP takes their time in showing their hand, and the anime drops even fewer hints than the manga, but the art in both versions makes me smile just remembering it.

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2013, 2:19 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Redstar2613 wrote:
Last night, I found out that FUNimation have finally gotten around to doing Season 2 of Fairy Tail :D
Yes, I'm one of those people that only watches Anime with an English dub.

You're missing out on a lot if you're skipping the Japanese dubs, you know.

I actually started learning Japanese originally because of Fushigi Yuugi, which has the most horrific English dub and the most awesome Japanese dub. I now can't watch in English without wincing at the mispronunciation. Though I am surprised that aspies watch in English since the English dialogue is often hugely changed from the Japanese original and I would've thought that would annoy other aspie people as much as it annoys me...maybe not?

Either way, seven years on I'm now compiling material to do a PhD in pre-modern Japanese samurai literature so...who says anime isn't educational? ;)