Page 63 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 93  Next

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm

^I know of Kenichi Suzumura [Kamui] from FFVII [Zack] and Digimon Frontier [Kouichi], so that's kind of neat.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:22 pm

Marknis wrote:
I work at the public library in my city and we actually have some anime box sets available for checkout. Today someone turned in the first box set of Dragon Ball and left a note that says:

This Cartoon Shows Genitalia. Not Proper!

Only in the Bible Belt... :roll:

True dat. Truly sad. Oh my god someone saw someone's happy parts. What is the world coming to. These people need a sexual intervention.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:32 pm

I forgot we're in the bible belt. I still don't like violent literature, same way I don't actually overthink things. Luckily we have lots of drugs, confusing mechanized plastic things & anime anyway so we can shoulder everyone's inane ramblings. If I were one for thinking linearly nobody would be asking me about coding.

No one here is boring me but I'm here for one person only & she's not me. :heart:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:43 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^I know of Kenichi Suzumura [Kamui] from FFVII [Zack] and Digimon Frontier [Kouichi], so that's kind of neat.

The whole TRC crew is in Kobato, too.

They appear for one episode, rather. I might watch that again, next.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:42 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Having the belief that anime and manga were more open minded and friendly than the rednecks destroyed actually sometimes makes me feel like I should stop liking it again. This is partly why I haven't kept up with the latest seasons as well. What's the point when I can't share it with anyone or I am going to be mocked for not being 'otaku' enough?

Every sub-culture has some sort of a-hole and elitist side, and the expectation that those within it have faced ridicule and should be more aware of it is not going to change that. Sometimes those mature, or sometimes they just get ingrained in a sense of self worth. I had a sort of epiphany a while back that this can show in the anime sub-culture by some having a blanket hate for all dubs. And really the healthier mindset is to also have an idea of what those on the outside might think, and how you might portray how you feel. Truth is though that many an anime do have a sort of anime referential culture that makes it hard for a lot of newcomers to find appealing, which is why at least the circle I am in online will have special interest in stuff considered entry titles, anime that those on the outside might be able to get into with few references of standard anime needed.

Little Witch Academia is hopefully a recent addition, that I think fans of things like Harry Potter, has nothing really too anime about it, is filled with references to bits of western culture (including like the Twilight phenomena).

I will admit I do have a slight elitist streak when it comes to creators and acknowledging their works.

Example: I used to know someone who loved Trigun but yet would always refer to Yasuhiro Nightow as "the guy who draws Trigun" and refused to acknowledge Blood Blockade Battlefront. No, he just wanted more Trigun. It would be the same with Akira; he would never say Katsuhiro Otomo, just "the guy who made Akira" or look up his other works. The only one he seemed to be capable of saying was Akira Toriyama but even then he wouldn't acknowledge Dr. Slump or his post-Dragon Ball works like Cowa!, Kajika, Neko Majin, and Sand Land.

I feel like not acknowledging the creators' names is dehumanizing to them and if you supposedly like a certain creator's art so much, shouldn't you be interested in what else they have done? After reading Boku no Hero Academia, I looked up Kōhei Horikoshi's previous manga and he's become one of my new favorite mangakas.

thewrll wrote:
Marknis wrote:
I work at the public library in my city and we actually have some anime box sets available for checkout. Today someone turned in the first box set of Dragon Ball and left a note that says:

True dat. Truly sad. Oh my god someone saw someone's happy parts. What is the world coming to. These people need a sexual intervention.

The same person also called the children's reference to further complain. The head reference worker told him it's not a "cartoon" and it's rated TV-14 so we put it with the adult level videos instead of the juvenile level ones. The idiot replied "What? Adults don't watch cartoons!" :roll: Apparently this moron never watched The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead, Ralph Bakshi's movies, and any classic cartoons. He's also unaware of Adult Swim.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 2:06 pm

^Judging people for ignorance won't really help.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^Judging people for ignorance won't really help.

Do you mean both points?

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 3:22 pm

^Both points? Um...I guess? :?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

I think that this runs into the term "cartoon", that for many it is a term for children's entertainment, and then they kind of use it as a blanket for animation. If they think of cartoons as a children's thing, then maybe they need to realise then that not all animation is what they consider cartoons, which is why I think we use the "anime" label, along with adult cartoons. The best you can probably do is try to explain to them that not all animation is for children just as anything can be, that there is an entire market they are unaware of, and tell them to just google "cartoons for adults". I know it was kind of shocking when I was finding out that not all animation is for kids, of course at a certain point they are likely to stand their ground in ignorance rather than fear what they already know about the world is wrong, maybe why all you can do is live by example in keeping an open mind.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I think that this runs into the term "cartoon", that for many it is a term for children's entertainment, and then they kind of use it as a blanket for animation. If they think of cartoons as a children's thing, then maybe they need to realise then that not all animation is what they consider cartoons, which is why I think we use the "anime" label, along with adult cartoons. The best you can probably do is try to explain to them that not all animation is for children just as anything can be, that there is an entire market they are unaware of, and tell them to just google "cartoons for adults". I know it was kind of shocking when I was finding out that not all animation is for kids, of course at a certain point they are likely to stand their ground in ignorance rather than fear what they already know about the world is wrong, maybe why all you can do is live by example in keeping an open mind.

Also people can watch any cartoon. It is their problem and not yours.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 3:03 pm

Marknis wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Having the belief that anime and manga were more open minded and friendly than the rednecks destroyed actually sometimes makes me feel like I should stop liking it again. This is partly why I haven't kept up with the latest seasons as well. What's the point when I can't share it with anyone or I am going to be mocked for not being 'otaku' enough?

Every sub-culture has some sort of a-hole and elitist side, and the expectation that those within it have faced ridicule and should be more aware of it is not going to change that. Sometimes those mature, or sometimes they just get ingrained in a sense of self worth. I had a sort of epiphany a while back that this can show in the anime sub-culture by some having a blanket hate for all dubs. And really the healthier mindset is to also have an idea of what those on the outside might think, and how you might portray how you feel. Truth is though that many an anime do have a sort of anime referential culture that makes it hard for a lot of newcomers to find appealing, which is why at least the circle I am in online will have special interest in stuff considered entry titles, anime that those on the outside might be able to get into with few references of standard anime needed.

Little Witch Academia is hopefully a recent addition, that I think fans of things like Harry Potter, has nothing really too anime about it, is filled with references to bits of western culture (including like the Twilight phenomena).

I will admit I do have a slight elitist streak when it comes to creators and acknowledging their works.

Example: I used to know someone who loved Trigun but yet would always refer to Yasuhiro Nightow as "the guy who draws Trigun" and refused to acknowledge Blood Blockade Battlefront. No, he just wanted more Trigun. It would be the same with Akira; he would never say Katsuhiro Otomo, just "the guy who made Akira" or look up his other works. The only one he seemed to be capable of saying was Akira Toriyama but even then he wouldn't acknowledge Dr. Slump or his post-Dragon Ball works like Cowa!, Kajika, Neko Majin, and Sand Land.

I feel like not acknowledging the creators' names is dehumanizing to them and if you supposedly like a certain creator's art so much, shouldn't you be interested in what else they have done? After reading Boku no Hero Academia, I looked up Kōhei Horikoshi's previous manga and he's become one of my new favorite mangakas.

thewrll wrote:
Marknis wrote:

The same person also called the children's reference to further complain. The head reference worker told him it's not a "cartoon" and it's rated TV-14 so we put it with the adult level videos instead of the juvenile level ones. The idiot replied "What? Adults don't watch cartoons!" :roll: Apparently this moron never watched The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead, Ralph Bakshi's movies, and any classic cartoons. He's also unaware of Adult Swim.

I'm in my mid 20s and I still like to watch Hey Arnold and Rugrats. So...adults do watch cartoons.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 5:35 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Marknis wrote:

thewrll wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I'm in my mid 20s and I still like to watch Hey Arnold and Rugrats. So...adults do watch cartoons.

Exactly. The guy's ignorance is mind boggling.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 1:19 pm

I really need to get my BD set up, so I can watch my favorite anime about Japanese rednecks, Non Non Biyori.

I mean, if this thread also has to turn into a discussion of rednecks, I won't resist the inevitable. :roll:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:25 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I really need to get my BD set up, so I can watch my favorite anime about Japanese rednecks, Non Non Biyori.

I mean, if this thread also has to turn into a discussion of rednecks, I won't resist the inevitable. :roll:

If rednecks terrorized you for your interests and called you a "ching chong lover", you'd feel defensive about them as well.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:31 pm

This interaction shows one way your obsessions interfere with relating to people. You have an ax to grind, and because you keep thinking about it, you bring it up in the context of all kinds of other discussions. When not on this topic, you have some interesting things to say.

Also, you don't know me. How can you assume an autistic guy could grow up in small town Texas during the 70s and 80s and not know a thing or two about being bullied? Oh, it fits your narrative. I'll say it again: Watamote.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 6:23 pm

Nyanpasu!

I was sure that there was something I could relate to with Japanese rednecks, like something I saw recently, and I think it would be Sakura Quest, which has the setting of some girls having the job to revitalise a small Japanese town, it has been quite fun. And I am pretty sure one of the characters has some form of autism, she has had a hard time by being somewhat bullied or called a problem because of her uncommon interest. It has especially a really nice scene in regards to helping this.