Page 66 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 93  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:20 am

I forgot to mention that I am still trying to finish watching Ranma 1/2.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:24 am

I don't know what to watch after Haruhi. Maybe Saiunkoku Monogatari.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:15 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
The only current running show I'm watching is My Hero Academia. I'm looking forward to the Code Geass film trilogy, the first of which comes out next month.

I got into My Hero Academia recently; didn't thought it would interest me, yet now I really like it.

Last edited by Tollorin on 20 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:53 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
I'm watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for the first time.

:heart: How far along are you?

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:01 pm

I'm on episode 3.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:06 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
I'm on episode 3.

Thanks. Have you fallen in love with Yuki yet?

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:13 pm

Well, kind of. She is remarkably like me, I'll admit that, but last time I checked I wasn't a humanoid robot from another planet. :lol:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:15 pm

Nobody's perfect ;-)

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:23 pm

I'm honestly not sure if I like Haruhi or not. I guess I'll wait and see.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:34 pm

I really didn't like Haruhi at all. I watched most of the first season ?maybe the entirety. I found it fairly unmemorable and cliche. Didn't care for the non-chronological order it was presented in either, that sort of storytelling should be reserved for something better than a cheap moe-filled high school story. The only thing that I liked was the opening and closing animations. I never understood how the anime got so popular.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:39 pm

So I'll stop watching it.

wolventears
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2017, 10:25 pm

I've completed around 50 anime series and I'm waiting for NGE level stuff, to discuss like in the old days.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:50 pm

How about the Evangelion movies? I need to get my BD player set up soon to watch those again.

I think a lot of writers and studios would love to come up with the next NGE, but apparently it ain't easy. ;-) On the other hand, I've seen a lot of very creative anime which were also more focused, philosophically. When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace impressed me in that way, and also My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My High School Comedy. Mecha, global devastation type shows which also have that kind of depth don't spring easily to mind. How about Gatchaman Crowds?

I liked the oddities of Gatchaman Crowds, and even forgave them for Episode 12, sort of. Gatchaman Crowds Insight blew me away completely. It twists reality in ways I found fascinating. I would have thought other people on the spectrum might relate to its comments about society, but I don't recall much discussion of it here.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 3:35 am

I don't think you have to like the character Haruhi Suzumiya, just perhaps get an understanding of why she acts the way she does, pretty much a fear of boredom. In ways, the force that is Haruhi is actually somewhat of a villain in the series. I have seen a particular video that talked about the big deal with the series is partially by what it meant at the time, like in comparison to the other shows and like, and what anime has does now might have lost some relevancy.

jrjones9933 wrote:
I liked the oddities of Gatchaman Crowds, and even forgave them for Episode 12, sort of. Gatchaman Crowds Insight blew me away completely. It twists reality in ways I found fascinating. I would have thought other people on the spectrum might relate to its comments about society, but I don't recall much discussion of it here.

Gatchaman Crowds was an interesting series in how I did not realise how good it was or how much I liked it until later. And that was with also seeing how good the second season was, in particular I think it pretty much twisted the message it did with the first series, to give some perspective that a balance is important and being even handed. Also, Hajime is an awesome hero in the best kind of way. She does not presume that something is bad even if everyone else is, and despite being so open to pretty much being a Cloudcuckoolander she is actually incredibly sharp, she is always listening to what other, and just as much as she is to find the good in something she also looks for how something could be a problem.

On other topics, this anime season has been ending, would be a bit much for me to give a quick update to what I have already finished. But there was some curiosity of anime that could be philosophical somewhat like NGE (which I have only watched the movies of and found the third movie really boring), I would throw in my already mention of the now finished Re:creators. It turned out really good, for a special accomplishment, it actually made a midseason recap episode actually amazing. A clash of various anime genre, with great characters, writing, and music.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:48 am

I wish I could understand why people detest Shinji so much. It makes me so sad how they despise him for being sensitive and quiet and claim that he is just whiny and a coward and and for being so reluctant to fight horrifying creatures that would likely unhinge even the toughest, experienced soldier, nevermind a teenager. [Or for being unwilling to kill Kaworu, basically the only person to actually show him love and kindness...]

Imagine if someone made a first-person simulation of every single one of Shinji's experiences. Likely everyone who took it would be completely traumatized.

To quote TV Tropes:

Quote:
No matter how much hell he goes through, many viewers still attribute Shinji's issues to him just being a whiny, bratty wuss. Not even discovering Unit-02 disemboweled is an adequate excuse for him not taking insane amounts of tragedy, misfortune, cosmic horrors, and near-constant abuse in stride.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 4:42 pm

I'm trying to think of a good name for the phenomenon that occurs when I get near the end of a CLAMP series. I don't want to go on, as the tone gets darker and darker. I know that I have to pay a price for the great story with a great ending, and that price often consists of cruel twists of fate in the case of CLAMP.

CETA -- CLAMP Episode Twenty Anxiety
CIPTA -- CLAMP Immanent Plot Twist Anxiety
CTOF-PTSD-CR -- Cruel Twist of Fate PTSD, CLAMP Related

I'm currently stuck on Episode 22 of Kobato, and I chose that one for its relative mildness.