"Beauty & The Geek" makes me frustrated

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2022, 8:57 am

Anyone seen that show?

These "geeks" are mostly just insecure and the ladies might be conventionally gorgeous but most of them just so dumb and dull, sorry, but they just are.

Here's the frustrating part.
Why isn't there are show where the girls are the ugly geeks and the guys are hot guys?

That would never happen. Its always the same old thing, guys can look whatever (as long as they have brain and money) but women have to be models.

Its unfair on both ends, isn't? Would a ugly geek guy with no money get the hot chick, I doubt it. Would the hot guy pick the ugly geek girl? I dont think so.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 9:24 am

alpacka wrote:
Why isn't there are show where the girls are the ugly geeks and the guys are hot guys?
Because the entertainment media is mostly run by wealthy men who have aged way past their prime, and the media they produce reflects their own limited experiences and narrow perspectives on how society operates.
alpacka wrote:
That would never happen.  Its always the same old thing, guys can look whatever (as long as they have brain and money) but women have to be models.  Its unfair on both ends, isn't?
Certainly.  But as the saying goes, "Most men prefer looks to brains, because most men see better than they think".  I tend to believe there is some truth to this.
alpacka wrote:
Would a ugly geek guy with no money get the hot chick, I doubt it. Would the hot guy pick the ugly geek girl? I don't think so.
An ugly geek guy with no money would likely not attract any "chick" at all until he did something to improve his looks and income; but then he would no longer be ugly and penniless.

H_Taterz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2022, 11:13 am

Agree with Fnord.

Fnord wrote:
Because the entertainment media is mostly run by wealthy men who have aged way past their prime, and the media they produce reflects their own limited experiences and narrow perspectives on how society operates. I tend to believe there is some truth to this....
An ugly geek guy with no money would likely not attract any "chick" at all until he did something to improve his looks and income; but then he would no longer be ugly and penniless.

I haven't heard this before, but it literally made me laugh out loud:

Fnord wrote:
Certainly.  But as the saying goes, "Most men prefer looks to brains, because most men see better than they think".

H_Taterz

20 Jun 2022, 11:48 am

I haven't seen the show, but I can guess what it's about based on context.
There could be a deep psychological and philosophical discussion about this. Fnord summed it up pretty nicely.

Our media has been controlled by mostly white, rich males. Anytime you buy, subscribe, or watch something, think: Who benefits from this?
Each time you click on something online or through a streaming service, the AI records what you did and the network will fund and create content on what gets the most attention. Since lonely folks (especially men) are often online or watching TV, it makes sense that shows like this are popular.

#1) Lots of people root for the underdog (aka, the "geeks" in this instance). It's in the same realm as why we root for our home teams. We all want to think we can overcome anything, and if the geeky guy gets money and the girl - well, anyone can do it! (Even though that's not reality, that's just social programming and psychology)

#2) For men, society has accepted that having an expensive car and an attractive wife is a measure of success... hence the term "trophy wife".
I can't count the number of men I've known with attractive wives that have affairs with more average (or even "ugly") women. They marry the cheerleader to show off to their friends but have sex with the goth girl in secret. There's a reason why that trope exists.
Conversely, by society's standards, a woman's success isn't measured by how hot her husband is. It's usually by either more feminine traits (being a mother), owning a nice home, or having a high-paying job that's traditionally been reserved for men.

#3) A little off-topic but I don't want to offend with the "ugly" statement. While it's been shown symmetry adds to attractiveness, the greater influence in attractiveness is familiarity. That's why people are often attracted to, and/or marry other people who look or act like their parents/early childhood mentor/caregiver, etc. Attractiveness is subjective.

Like I said, it's a deep rabbit hole to go down, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to society being an insecure, shallow, selfish, power hungry hot-mess.
AKA dumpster fire.

Don't feed the AI, or any insecurities. Stop watching that show. :wink:

alpacka wrote:
Anyone seen that show?

Last edited by H_Taterz on 20 Jun 2022, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 12:21 pm

H_Taterz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Certainly.  But as the saying goes, "Most men prefer looks to brains, because most men see better than they think".
Do you think it has some validity?  I know men who are like that, and some seem to post regularly on WrongPlanet.

H_Taterz

20 Jun 2022, 12:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I literally almost spit out what I was eating when I read this.

I plea the fifth...

Fnord wrote:
H_Taterz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Do you think it has some validity?  I know men who are like that, and some seem to post regularly on WrongPlanet.

orbweaver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2022, 12:44 pm

The world isn't ready to learn about the REAL sex lives of geeks... it's nothing like normies imagine. All the geeks I know are having so much more sex, and way kinkier sex, and with so many more people, than the normies are. Geeks are some of the horniest, freakiest people on the planet.

That goes for men and women alike. And some of them are autistic. The people I know who have a hard time making connections in geek culture usually have incredibly high standards and have prudish or old fashioned inclinations.

But if you're someone who's up for anything?

"The odds are good, but the goods are odd."

ASD (dx. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome) + ADHD

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2022, 3:29 pm

Happily surprised that people here had something to say about this topic.

I have watch several episodes of the show now and I learn to like it. I also realized that the 'beauties' are as insecure like the 'nerds', the 'nerds' are often more confident really (at least to know who they are)

armasmd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jul 2022, 2:37 am

In our society, it is considered that a man having an expensive car and an attractive wife is a measure of success.