Fictional Characters with Mental Disabilities...

Page 3 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 11:06 pm

I've been watching the TV show, 'Ed'. The main character, Ed appears to me to have AS. He's socially akward, despite the fact that he talks a lot. He doesn't get a lot of the humour that his friends and Co-Workers use. He also has trouble opening up to women. He also has a nutral facial expression and a flat affect to his voice.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 2:25 pm

Harry Potter would be schizophrenic because he believes in magic ... that puts him with Pug, Gandalf, Cat Chant, Haplo, Belgarath, Baxtenbrat, the White Witch and a few million other fictional magic users.

Comkeen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2005, 2:47 am

Stewie's future self from The Family Guy Movie definitly turns into a full-blown aspie. Of course, it wasnt that hard to figure out even when he was still a baby.

Wait, did I just say The Family Guy Movie? No, of course not! You didnt hear anything. . . :)

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2005, 7:04 pm

You folks from the UK may not know this, but there is a character on the long-running BBC series Grange Hill who has AS: Martin Miller (played by Matthew Buckley since 2001) I don't know if any of my British peers have seen him, but there he is.

Also, Francesca Martinez, who played Rachel Burns in the mid-to late 90s, has CP (cerebral palsy).

Sources/Further edification:

Plus, an interesting commentary about Buckley I recently found:
You have Buckley's chance of being diagnosed

Last edited by NYAspie on 26 Sep 2005, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 11:43 am

DrizzleMan wrote:
Harry Potter would be schizophrenic because he believes in magic ... that puts him with Pug, Gandalf, Cat Chant, Haplo, Belgarath, Baxtenbrat, the White Witch and a few million other fictional magic users.

:roll: I don't think the use of magic necessarily has anything to do with schisophrenia. Many of thest stories just have magic as a part of them because they are fantasy stories. But I do agree with you that the White Witch is a little messed up... :?

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 12:10 pm

Namiko wrote:
:roll: I don't think the use of magic necessarily has anything to do with schisophrenia. Many of thest stories just have magic as a part of them because they are fantasy stories. But I do agree with you that the White Witch is a little messed up... :?

I was trying to be sarcastic :wink:

I don't think Harry has a mental illness, but by our medical standards he might. Which makes me wonder whether it's worthwhile applying our standards to fictional characters? :lol:

Last edited by DrizzleMan on 21 Sep 2005, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 12:13 pm

Hmm, I think The Gimp from Pulp Fiction was autistic.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 11:31 am

Mockingbird wrote:
Namiko wrote:
As anyone who has read (or even seen) LotR (Lord of the Rings), I would say that Denethor (the steward of Gondor, AKA the crabby old guy in the third book/movie) has some problems. Only I haven't been able to figure out what they are. Anyone care to enlighten me? ;)

I asked my father. He said this isn't his area so he isn't sure but he thinks Denethor would be dx'd paranoid/delusional

PTSD. Look at all he went through, losing one son and having to live in constant fear. PTSD, if driven far enough, can turn psychotic.

He was also just a pr*ck.

1. Gregor Samsa in The Metamorphosis had Major Depression. But then again, he was also a bug. :?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 2:59 pm

DrizzleMan wrote:
Namiko wrote:

I was trying to be sarcastic :wink:

I don't think Harry has a mental illness, but by our medical standards he might. Which makes me wonder whether it's worthwhile applying our standards to fictional characters? :lol:

Because we have such strange humour standards and think the most ironic things are hilariously funny. I like my sense of humour, and it's always fun to see what is wrong with fictional characters. :)

Sophist, come to think about it, Denethor does seem to have some traumatic events in his life: his wife (whom he truly and dearly loved) died, Boromir (his favourite son) died and he thinks Faramir died. He also seems to be disillusioned and possibly slightly paranoid, especially when he says that Gandalf is trying to "use him as a shield against Mordor and seek to supplant [him] with a Ranger from the North" (aka Aragorn).

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 5:12 pm

Sophist wrote:
1. Gregor Samsa in The Metamorphosis had Major Depression. But then again, he was also a bug. :?

Heh. I was just thinking depression is probably the LAST thing he should have been worrying about. :lol:

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2005, 5:14 pm

Does anyone here read the comic strip The Boondocks? Huey's personality just screams AS.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 5:09 am

The Tazmanian Devil most probably has ADHD and Tourettes Syndrome.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 12:13 pm

Yupa wrote:
Does anyone here read the comic strip The Boondocks? Huey's personality just screams AS.

I've read it once or twice before, but which one is Huey again? Is he the one with the really big hair?

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 12:29 pm

Lord Voldemort seems very schizotypal in HBP...

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2005, 1:51 pm

the lonely gunmen from the X-files... and Mulder had to have something...

I was a huge X files fan and I took it really seriously. Now I saw an episode and I wondered how could David and Gillian say those parlaments without LTFAO!! !

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2005, 6:34 pm

I can relate to Eustace from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (one of the Chronicles of Narnia). He is very small for his age and likes annoying people and he complains a lot and he has a big vocabulary. I couldn't diagnose him with anything.... but he and I are strangely alike.

Doon Harrow, on the other hand, from The City of Ember, is very likely to have Asperger's Syndrome. He is always off by himself and he takes things much too seriously, and he doesn't know how to socialize very well.