Temple Grandin imitation scene on "Glee"

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CBRVA83
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2014, 12:07 am

If anyone watched "Glee" last night, was anyone offended when Gwyneth Paltrow's character on the show did an imitation of animal science doctor/college professor/autistic activist Temple Grandin?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 2:03 am

CBRVA83 wrote:
If anyone watched "Glee" last night, was anyone offended when Gwyneth Paltrow's character on the show did an imitation of animal science doctor/college professor/autistic activist Temple Grandin?

where can we see a clip of the imitation without having to watch the whole show?--i would need to see how it was done before i could judge whether it was insensitive or not, and i don't watch that program.

edit: update--i watched it, and all i have to say is W O W.

i am now doubly glad i don't watch glee.

Last edited by starvingartist on 26 Mar 2014, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2014, 1:00 pm

starvingartist wrote:
CBRVA83 wrote:

where can we see a clip of the imitation without having to watch the whole show?--i would need to see how it was done before i could judge whether it was insensitive or not, and i don't watch that program.

... Can't stand to watch Glee as well ? :| I can't find the clip on YouTube ... well yet anyways :(

CBRVA83

26 Mar 2014, 10:38 pm

Here's the clip, but you could only see her very briefly in the beginning dressed up as Temple Grandin. It was the only clip that I could find!: http://youtu.be/JREMC_fWCEs

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:42 pm

CBRVA83 wrote:
Here's the clip, but you could only see her very briefly in the beginning dressed up as Temple Grandin. It was the only clip that I could find!: http://youtu.be/JREMC_fWCEs

i actually ended up downloading the episode and just skipping to that part--and yeah, it was really insensitive and in extremely poor taste. honestly i'm amazed they got it on the air--if she'd done a parody of someone blind or someone with down's syndrome or something it would have been considered too offensive to air, but i guess it's ok to mock autistic people because we don't have human feelings like the rest of them, amirite? :roll:

edit: from now on i will be sure not to watch anything that gwneth paltrow is in (not that i did that much anyway, she's not the best actress.)

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2014, 4:04 am

I facepalmed at the impersonation. I mean really?!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2014, 7:15 pm

I have never watched a single episode of Glee in my life, and have no interest in starting now, so I'm at a loss as to WHY?!?!?!

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 2:11 am

I think if they were making fun of her it would be more ok than if they were being deadly serious. They made fun of the New York's blind mayor and he even came on and made fun of himself and it was awesome.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2014, 5:40 pm

I don't understand mocking, so may someone explain to me why this is so offensive?