Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 3:26 pm

so.
Twin peaks is back, and it's funny like On the Air, and weird like... Inland Empire. Yes. not Twin Peaks weird, or Mulholland Drive or any other kind of Lynchian weird, but of all: Inland Empire.
Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the first 4 episodes, but could someone please get the old man away from the computer? I'm afraid he's going to try to send me a fax or something. The CG is horrenduous.

I wonder if, with this quality of CG, if he can make it Twin Peaks again....Storywise, everything is fine with me and I trust Lynch...

any thoughts?

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2017, 7:21 pm

I like the CG. It's not completely convincing and I think that adds to the unreal atmosphere. Like when Laura takes off her face.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

12 Jun 2017, 9:22 pm

I am hoping to witness some nin for the soundtrack, I hope.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 6:44 pm

fakkau89 wrote:
I am hoping to witness some nin for the soundtrack, I hope.

Haha, yes. Now you made me think of the rammstein song in the scene with marilyn manson in lost highway.

rcsf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2017, 7:08 am

lol. I love the Chromatics' music in the ending of the second or third episode. It's simply awesome.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 9:04 am

Third episode definitely my favourite so far.
At times felt like watching Eraserhead.

Really hope "Dougie" wakes up soon. Want the good Coop back!

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 6:26 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
Third episode definitely my favourite so far.
At times felt like watching Eraserhead.

sadly, with crappy CG rather than the uncanniness of the baby puppet.
so far, I'm enjoying how lynch is teasing everyone by refusing to deliver "twin peaks" to the viewer.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:23 am

Finally got around to watching part 6. I'm getting tired of catatonic Coop/Dougie.

I live fairly close to Twin Peaks. Here's some pics I took recently:

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 5:11 pm

the lady behind the counter doesn't look much like maedchen amick... my illusion's are shattered...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 8:26 am

shlaifu wrote:
the lady behind the counter doesn't look much like maedchen amick... my illusion's are shattered...

As I recall my waitress was a portly dark haired woman wearing a black t-shirt and sporting a lot of tattoos.

A couple of the customers however looked like you would expect Twin Peaks residents to look. No one wearing red and blue glasses or carrying a log though.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2017, 3:10 pm

EzraS wrote:
Finally got around to watching part 6. I'm getting tired of catatonic Coop/Dougie.

I live fairly close to Twin Peaks. Here's some pics I took recently:

That's awesome. I'd love to go visit that area some time.

What did everyone think of part 7? It all seems to be starting to come together now. Many more scenes in Twin Peaks as well.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm

Glad to know someone finally had the guts to start a TP thread. Long time Lynch fan here.

Cheers everyone!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 7:03 am

I know Lynch is famous for stories that basically have no plot and go all over the place. But I think most of 2017 has pretty much sucked so far and I'm disappointed with it. I'm absolutely sick to death of Dogie.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2017, 12:24 pm

I find the reactions of the audience very intriguing. For starters, I don't know what could have drawn their attention to Twin Peaks if not for what's best in it - and that would be the imagery, the weirdness and the beauty. These things are more abundant in the new series than ever before in the original, what makes the revival an enhanced Twin Peaks imho. That perfectly matches my expectations because I don't want more of the same, I want new things. To be honest, the old series has many things I don't like as the new one does - but the things I like about Twin Peaks are very intense to me.

The shame about Dougie is that they kept the best character (Coop) in a closet for a long time, yet they didn't try to properly explore the remaining characters. We get a broad range of new characters instead, and they stay on an episode for a handful of minutes before they vanish for many episodes. What this means to me is that the borders of Twin Peaks went from a small town to the Universe, the characters aren't as important as the whole. This feels quite disappointing to most of the audience because they want "more Nadine, Audrey, coffee and cherry pie". That's not what they're giving us - thankfully for me!

I'm really enjoying the show, in fact I think it much better than the original run. I'll be saving my harshness for when I have watched all the episodes. I am preparing myself for the worst, I can be wrong but the direction things are taking suggest me that I won't like the ending - and I really hope I am wrong. Anyway, even if the end disappoints me, I'm totally enjoying the journey and that's what counts the most.

Before anyone comes pointing fingers at me suggesting that I'm sort of a hispterish Lynch fanboy trying to defend the new Twin Peaks at all costs, I'd like to say that there are many of Lynch's works that don't particularly appeal to me, "Inland Empire" for one.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 6:06 pm

EzraS wrote:
I know Lynch is famous for stories that basically have no plot and go all over the place. But I think most of 2017 has pretty much sucked so far and I'm disappointed with it. I'm absolutely sick to death of Dogie.

He's famous for it, yes, but it's not actually the case... Most of his stories are actually quite conventional, but the way they are encoded is unusual- very aesthetic and visceral, but not subjective... Expressive, but without expressing any specific character's emotions.
I like his aspie-like approach to metaphors, e.g., taking a psychotic break and literally trabsforming the protagonist into a different character in lost highway.

Also: I'm also thoroughly enjoying this season, - it's the only show around in which I'm genuinely interested in what's going to happen- because I can't predict how it's going to happen. He's not so much making me guess for bare story, but for how he's going to do it..

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2017, 8:19 am

I know how this may sound ridiculous to everyone but last episode (eleven) caused me a very odd sensation. I felt like it might have altered my consciousness! I'm not joking. I watched to this episode three times in a row, first time I ever did this, and the sensation lasted until I fell asleep. Amazing!

Well, I just felt I should post this but I knew how far-fetched it would sound so anonymity comes in handy.