You do not need to make all your videos in English...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2019, 7:46 pm

...if it is not your native language, especially if you live in a non-English speaking country. Other options include making separate videos for your home audience and a foreign audience, another is making them in your native language with English subtitles.
It seems that many such vloggers make videos in English for ill-advised reasons.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 11:40 pm

I guess it would depend on who the audience is.

According to Wikipedia language prevalence worldwide (including both primary first language and second language) provides the following:

English - 1.132 billion people.
Mandarin Chinese - 1.116 billion people
Hindi - 615.4 million people
Spanish - 534.3 million people
French - 279.8 million people
Standard Arabic - 273.9 million people
Bengali - 265.0 million people
Russian - 258.2 million people
Portuguese - 234.1 million people

Source: List of languages by total number of speakers

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2019, 8:48 am

What if they make videos for both their home audience and a foreign audience?

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2019, 7:38 pm

I don't know about everyone else, but I've attempted to learn multiple other languages and failed. If a video isn't narrated or at least subtitled in English, I'm most likely not going to watch it. Unless it's a music video; then all bets are off.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 6:07 pm

Myrtonos wrote:
...if it is not your native language, especially if you live in a non-English speaking country. Other options include making separate videos for your home audience and a foreign audience, another is making them in your native language with English subtitles.
It seems that many such vloggers make videos in English for ill-advised reasons.

I am perfectly fine with people in non-english speaking countries making videos in english if they want to. Also there are english speakers in a lot of non-english speaking countries. But if a video is not spoken in english I certainly would need subtitles.

But english has become kind of an international language, kind of seems like if you were to travel to other countries there is a good chance you would find people who speak at least some english.

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2019, 5:24 am

Evil_Chuck wrote:
I don't know about everyone else, but I've attempted to learn multiple other languages and failed. If a video isn't narrated or at least subtitled in English, I'm most likely not going to watch it. Unless it's a music video; then all bets are off.

And the question is, why not just make them in their native language with English subtitles.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am perfectly fine with people in non-english speaking countries making videos in english if they want to.

The problem is if they make all their videos in English, unless they make them for foreign audiences. If making videos for both a home audience and a foreign audience, they have two good options, one is making them in their native language with English subtitles, the other is making separate videos for each group.
In general, I will not subscribe to the channel of some foreign vlogger who only makes videos in English.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 12:44 am

I'm not even sure who you are talking about.

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2019, 10:53 pm

See this video:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 1:28 am

אם עברית הוא השפה האם של משהו, והוא עושה את קטעי וידאו בעברית בלבד, הוא יכול לדבר רק ל9 מיליון דוברים על עברית. בכל העולם. יש בעיה שם...

mais en français, on peut communiquer à beaucoup plus de gens; en fait - 270 millions. il y a beaucoup de youtubers qui font leurs vidéos seulement en français. y en español el número alcanza 400 milliones.

but english nets you the biggest audience of all. it all depends on who you're making the videos for.

i guess you could only film in hebrew if you don't mind your subscriber count remaining at 5 digits at most.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Myrtonos
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2019, 2:34 am

...your native language:

If you film in Hebrew, I'm sure your subscriber count could be more than that with English subtitles added, and along with that, a title and description in both languages. This is the sort of thing I said above, please read.
Also, an Israeli vlogger definitely does not need to make all videos in a language other than Hebrew to reach that many people.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 11:05 pm

also true

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Last bumped by Myrtonos on 18 Apr 2020, 11:05 pm.