Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:54 pm

I'm a European male born in the early '80s. I work as a programmer.

I received an official diagnosis of "Autism spectrum disorder" in 2013, although I had already been aware of my Autism for several years by them.

As a public speaker on Autism, I try to improve the perception of Autism. I believe the notion that Autism is a disorder is harmful to the Autistic community at large. I support the notion of Autism as a natural human variation (with both extreme strengths and extreme weaknesses) rather than a disorder.

Besides "Autism spectrum disorder", I also have strong ADHD-like symptoms and an IQ in the 99th percentile. I've been a member of Mensa, but left the organization as I didn't see any benefit in membership.

I'm a free thinking libertarian. I'm an iconoclast. I reject mainstream pop culture, mainstream politics and mainstream religion. Most likely, at least some of my views will offend you. It is not my intent, however, to discuss controversial issues on this forum unless they are directly related to Autism. I hope that allows us to get along :)

In an attempt to alleviate some of the negative consequences of Autism, I tried Ritalin (officially prescribed), but that made me very unstable. I tried dextroamphetamine (officially prescribed), but that may me rather numb. I tried various illegal substances including LSD, levoamphetamine, methylone and 2-FMA (self-medicated). Those did benefit me a lot, but the stimulants to tend to be addictive and result in dependence. Currently, I try to stay free from any medication most of the time, although I do self-medicate occasionally.

Besides programming and Autism activism, other interests include politics, religion, philosophy, sociology, psychology, neurology, graphic design, movies, comic books, old books & geek culture.

I'm active on Twitter.

-----------

Youtube videos I find inspirational:

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:41 pm

Hey aspiesavant welcome. :sunny:

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 5:53 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
Hey aspiesavant welcome. :sunny:

Thanks. I hope my input will be appreciated.

If not, please do not hesitate to suggest improvements. :wink:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:00 pm

Welcome!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

I just noticed the videos don't load when this page is loaded via HTTPS. It works fine when a page is loaded via HTTP.

As the reply notification I just received contains an HTTPS link to this page, I filed a bug report for that.

SDerailed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2015, 11:35 pm

Hello, it's nice to see another Terry Pratchet fan out there.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Phospective
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2015, 10:46 am

Hi Aspiesavant!

You sound like a thinker like me!
PM me if you want to chat. That goes for anyone else here too. :D