Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

scatterquest
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2024, 8:33 pm

Howdy there!! I'm Kris, an autistic fella who enjoys how forums are organized! I also have misophonia, general anxiety disorder, chronic pains, and some other general things
I've always been scared to post to places so sorry if I've made a mistake :')
I enjoy animating and watching animated series, my favorites are BFDI and Amphibia. I also really like claw machines, gaming, axolotls, and moths! I have a few pets that I love very much
I listen to a lot of music and love recommendations
Hope to get to know y'all better!! ! :D

utterly absurd
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2024, 8:40 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!
What kinds of pets do you have?

scatterquest
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2024, 8:45 pm

utterly absurd wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Thanks! I have a cat, two axolotls and a crested gecko :] I also have a dog but she lives with my dad

utterly absurd
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2024, 8:51 pm

scatterquest wrote:
utterly absurd wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Thanks! I have a cat, two axolotls and a crested gecko :] I also have a dog but she lives with my dad

Those sound like good pets. Glad you are here!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 9:29 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And I hope you do whatever it takes to keep the cat happy.

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2024, 10:16 pm

No mistakes noticed! And besides no big deal if there are! We're only human . Anyway welcome!

PineappleLobster
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2024, 10:49 pm

Welcome to WP!!
What kind of music do you like?

scatterquest
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2024, 12:04 am

PineappleLobster wrote:
Welcome to WP!!
What kind of music do you like?

Some of my favorite genres are rock/alt-rock, indie, punk, folk, hyperpop, grunge, metal, and the occasional country :)
My favorite band are The Mountain Goats!

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2024, 5:08 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 8:53 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You indicated one of your traits was Misophonia. I wasn't familiar with that word, so I looked it up. The internet said:

Misophonia is a relatively unexplored chronic condition in which a person experiences autonomic arousal (analogous to an involuntary “fight-or-flight” response) to certain innocuous or repetitive sounds such as chewing, pen clicking, and lip smacking.

The article then went on to say:

1. Problematic sounds are generally related to other people's behavior (pen clicking, chewing sounds). Misophonics are however not bothered when they produce these “trigger” sounds themselves, and some report mimicry as a coping strategy.

2. Misophonic individuals showed heightened ratings and skin conductance responses to auditory, but not visual stimuli.

This is an interesting problem to deal with. I am 75 years old and my hearing is shot. I have to use hearing aids to amplify the sound. There are special headsets to minimize audio stress. I looked on the internet and it read:

Calmer helps users with sensitive hearing conditions such as Misophonia, Hypersensitivity and Hyperacusis. Users have found that their audio world becomes more bearable when they wear Calmer, with irritating noises being reduced to a much more manageable level.

scatterquest
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2024, 3:29 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You indicated one of your traits was Misophonia. I wasn't familiar with that word, so I looked it up. The internet said:

Misophonia is a relatively unexplored chronic condition in which a person experiences autonomic arousal (analogous to an involuntary “fight-or-flight” response) to certain innocuous or repetitive sounds such as chewing, pen clicking, and lip smacking.

The article then went on to say:

1. Problematic sounds are generally related to other people's behavior (pen clicking, chewing sounds). Misophonics are however not bothered when they produce these “trigger” sounds themselves, and some report mimicry as a coping strategy.

2. Misophonic individuals showed heightened ratings and skin conductance responses to auditory, but not visual stimuli.

This is an interesting problem to deal with. I am 75 years old and my hearing is shot. I have to use hearing aids to amplify the sound. There are special headsets to minimize audio stress. I looked on the internet and it read:

Calmer helps users with sensitive hearing conditions such as Misophonia, Hypersensitivity and Hyperacusis. Users have found that their audio world becomes more bearable when they wear Calmer, with irritating noises being reduced to a much more manageable level.

You got it spot on! I like to use loop earbuds (which are very similar to the Calmer ones you mentioned) and noise cancelling headphones to lessen sounds that trigger me, which is also why I listen to a lot of music.
I've also looked into experimental "hearing aids" that let sound in but play music or white noise to help integrate or block out noises, but it's a long process to get in contact with the people who make them.
Thank you for your welcome, I hope your hearing aids are working just how you like them :D

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 3:39 pm

Absolutely, here's a shorter version:Welcome, Kris!No need to worry about mistakes here. It's great that you enjoy animating, watching BFDI and Amphibia, claw machines, gaming, axolotls, moths, and music. What kind of music do you usually listen to? We're happy to give recommendations and get to know you better.

Welcome to the forum!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:48 am

hi, hello, and welcome. Glad you found us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson