Page 4 of 358 [ 5723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 358  Next

Helen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2004, 11:17 pm

What is your first name? Helen

Hobbies and Interests:

Why are you here? Asperger Disorder

When were you diagnosed? (skip if you don't have a disorder): I diagnosed myself when my son was diagnosed; I always knew that whatever he had, I had it too, because he was so much like me it's scary! He was first diagnosed with ADHD, I think around 1992, then a year or two later he was diagnosed with AS. I now think the ADHD diagnosis was in error, and that we both have AS only.

Favorite subjects: I'm not really ready to answer this yet.

Favorite music: Classical (especially Mozart), folk and folk rock, and soft rock, especially from the late '60's and early '70's.

Books: I like many books, and am afraid if I try to name a few favorites, I might forget some that I should include.

TV shows/Movies: My absolute favorites are the classic swashbucklers such as Zorro, Robin Hood, etc., but I also enjoy many other movies. What I don't like are movies with a lot of graphic violence, gratuitous sex, and foul language.

Instrument: I had 5 years of piano lessons as a child, but never really mastered reading music. I still play around at the piano a little, and I have written a few songs.

Do you like sports? I used to play table tennis pretty seriously. I am generally terrible at team sports. As a spectator, I occasionally enjoy watching tennis, and I like watching some of the Olympic sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics.

Family: I never noticed any AS symptoms in either of my parents. But my brother definitely has Asperger traits if not full blown AS. I am married and have 18-year-old fraternal twin sons. One has AS, and the other is NT.

Clothing: I wear short sleeves indoors all year round. When it is cold outside, I put on sweaters and/or a coat when I go outside, but I really don't understand why people feel they have to wear long sleeves and/or sweaters in a heated building just because it is cold outside. Can anyone explain this to me?

How did you find this website? It was mentioned in an e-mail newsletter I got from the support group I belong to.

Job: I work in a retail store.

Plans for the future? None that I am ready to discuss right now.

Any comments? Can someone explain the meanings of the designations under people's names on this site, such as "tufted titmouse", "emu egg", etc.?

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Jul 2004, 9:27 am

Helen wrote:
What is your first name? Helen

Hobbies and Interests:

Why are you here? Asperger Disorder

When were you diagnosed? (skip if you don't have a disorder): I diagnosed myself when my son was diagnosed; I always knew that whatever he had, I had it too, because he was so much like me it's scary! He was first diagnosed with ADHD, I think around 1992, then a year or two later he was diagnosed with AS. I now think the ADHD diagnosis was in error, and that we both have AS only.

Favorite subjects: I'm not really ready to answer this yet.

Favorite music: Classical (especially Mozart), folk and folk rock, and soft rock, especially from the late '60's and early '70's.

Books: I like many books, and am afraid if I try to name a few favorites, I might forget some that I should include.

TV shows/Movies: My absolute favorites are the classic swashbucklers such as Zorro, Robin Hood, etc., but I also enjoy many other movies. What I don't like are movies with a lot of graphic violence, gratuitous sex, and foul language.

Instrument: I had 5 years of piano lessons as a child, but never really mastered reading music. I still play around at the piano a little, and I have written a few songs.

Do you like sports? I used to play table tennis pretty seriously. I am generally terrible at team sports. As a spectator, I occasionally enjoy watching tennis, and I like watching some of the Olympic sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics.

Family: I never noticed any AS symptoms in either of my parents. But my brother definitely has Asperger traits if not full blown AS. I am married and have 18-year-old fraternal twin sons. One has AS, and the other is NT.

Clothing: I wear short sleeves indoors all year round. When it is cold outside, I put on sweaters and/or a coat when I go outside, but I really don't understand why people feel they have to wear long sleeves and/or sweaters in a heated building just because it is cold outside. Can anyone explain this to me?

How did you find this website? It was mentioned in an e-mail newsletter I got from the support group I belong to.

Job: I work in a retail store.

Plans for the future? None that I am ready to discuss right now.

Any comments? Can someone explain the meanings of the designations under people's names on this site, such as "tufted titmouse", "emu egg", etc.?

Welcome Helen! I am 18 as well so it would be cool to talk to your son. If you can persuade him to come and post, it would be great! I'm sure he would enjoy it as well. The words under user's names are ranks based on the number of posts they have made. I have chosen to use birds and the more posts someone has, the bigger the bird is. I have lots of tufted timouses at my house. They walk sideways up trees and don't fall off (kind of like spiderman).

Jodi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2004, 7:30 pm

First name: Jodi

Hobblies/Interests: Drawing, Writing Fan Fiction, Reading Manga (japanese comics) Video Games

Why am I here: DX with AS

When I was Diagnosed: March 30, 2004

Year/Grade: in College

Favorite music: Electronica, Rock, Punk, some Pop,

Favorite Books: Farenheit 451, Animal Farm, His Dark Materials Series

TV/Movies: various animes, Mad Max movies

Do you like sports: I occasionly watch soccer and equisterian sports

Family: Mom, Dad Step Dad, 2 Brother

Clothing: anything comfortable, I don't care if it's out of style, anything made of fleece of cotton,

Job: none, yet

Plans for the future: hmmm, I'm trying to survive community college

Comments: I like this site.

Mistrial
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Aug 2004, 7:52 am

Name: Stephen

Hobbies/Interests: reading, football, my kids, work

Why am I here: different views help me understand my self better and help me be a better dad.

When Diagnosed: self diagnosed four years ago (at same time as my son was diagnosed) diagnosis confirmed two years ago.

Favorie subjects: psychology, history

Education: Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology

Music: Steve Earle, Rolling Stones, Clash, Michael McDermott, Lou Reed, Chicago style blues and early rap

Books: couldn't possibly name books, some of my favorite authors are Heinlein, Niven, Steven Barnes, William Gibson and Asimov. I read alot of biographies and autobiographies of musicians, artists, exploreres and anyone else out of the mainstream.

TV Shows/Movies: any of the Star Trek shows, Law and Order, Angel. Don't see many movies nowadays that aren't rated "G"!

Instruments: used to play harmonica and bass, haven't touched them for years.

Sports: not much on playing, love football, specifically the Green Bay Packers (when diagnosed this was cited as one of my "special interests".....I thought I was just fan!

Family: raised in a 2 parent, 8 siblng home; left at age 16 to move in with another family so my father and I would not come to blows (tho I continued working for him another two years) so now have five other "adopted" siblings (meaning they adopted me not vice versa). Married 14 years now with two boys aged nine and seven. Nine year old diagnosed with AS four years ago.

Cothing: comfort over fashion, always!

How I found this website: link on Future Horizons website to article from some local paper, I think.

Plans for Future: finish raising my boys, retire!

Waywardstarfish
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2004, 2:47 am

Name: Steve

Hobbies/Interests: computing, science fiction, widsurfing

Why am I here: meet other aspies and offer any help from my experiences.

When Diagnosed: 3 years ago.

Favorie subjects: science

Education: Degree in Mathematics

Music: any 1970's music and "chill out"

Books: Not a great reader.

TV Shows/Movies: any science fiction including Star Trek, Angel, Kingdom Hospital.

Instruments: none.

Sports: windsurfing, sailing, tennis, swimming

Family: Separated. Younger brother and sister

Cothing: comfort over fashion, always!

How I found this website: Google search

Plans for Future: Not sure

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2004, 11:17 pm

Name: Cindy

Hobbies/Interests: reading, cooking, family

Why am I here: to get to know other adult Aspies

When Diagnosed: 3 months ago (self-dx)

Favorie subjects: literature, time/space theories

Education: BA English Language & Literature

Music: 1970's soft rock

Books: Tolkien, Sutcliff, L'Engel

TV Shows/Movies: LOTR, Star Trek, History channel

Instruments: a little piano

Sports: soccer mom, ice skating mom

Family: married with 5 children (4 still at home)

Clothing: jeans casual

How I found this website: Google

Plans for Future: to help my kids become adults

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2004, 11:14 am

What is your first name? gwynfryn

Hobbies and Interests: Inventing, problem solving, reading (sci-fi, technical, historical...) and music (most, but especially Celtic or Classic)

Why are you here? Active Aspie

When were you diagnosed? Recognised the "classic" symptoms in myself according to a 1998 radio program, then, after suffering total confusion from the garbage on the web, researched my way back full circle (Tony Atwood "Aspie"/ Baron-Cohen "extreme male-brain" model)

Favorite subjects: Most sciences and life in general

Year/Grade: Graduate; Mech Eng. (hon). (Also "Master mule skinner of the
Grand Canyon"; have a certificate to prove it!)

Favorite music: Telemann, Strauss (Richard), Taverner, Dead can Dance, Louise Attack, Clannad, Heart, and lots more...

Books: hundreds

TV shows/Movies: No TV

Instrument: I can knock out a tune on most (except of violin family)

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: I'd play table tennis, volley ball, soccer and many others if facilities where available

Family: A mam, a brother with kids, and many cousins etc., all NT as far as I can tell (though Mam and Dad and a few others had certain autistic traits, mostly the positive ones).

Clothing: Have to wear them!

How did you find this website? Link to wrongplanet.net on old Aspergia board.

Job: Don't have one (been looking for years!)

Plans for the future? Planning to be an author (but strictly to raise cash so I can take out some patents, and start manufacturing; had a gut-full of working for others. Unless I could find an Aspie employer?) and also to inject some clarity into the autistic spectrum definitions (and similar/related phenomena).

Any comments? The site looks good so far! Thank you, Alex, for help with registering!

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2004, 4:56 pm

What is your first name? Kenneth

Hobbies and Interests: Art ( watercolor) religion, philosophy

Why are you here? I believe I have aspergers

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): undiagnosed, just heard of this today

Favorite subjects: philosophy, sociology

Year/Grade: employed full time,

Favorite music: indie

Books: East of Eden, other steinbeck, Hemmingway

TV shows/Movies: Donnie Darko maybe ?

Instrument:guitar, piano, .......painting

Do you like sports?some tennis, racketball

Family: older brother and sister by 5+ years

Clothing: most of the time

How did you find this website? found on through a google reference

Job: electrical wholesale

Plans for the future? I want to be an painter

Any comments?It is wonderful to find so many intelligent and likeminded people in one place.

Nick_14
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2004, 2:31 pm

What is your first name? Nick

Why are you here? I am an Aspie who was sitting at work this afternoon getting hot under the collar and happened to type in "Coping skills for people with Autism" into Google and I landed up here. :-)

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): at the age of 4 I was diagnosed with autism, cerebral palsy and 28% brain damage as well as various muscle disorders.

TV shows/Movies: I'm obsessed with movies in general, I worked for over 10 years at a cinema and went for 3 years without missing a single film that was on circuit.

Instrument: I used to play the piano but I stopped (should start again).

Interests: I restore WW2 military vehicles for a museum, I like aircraft, history, geography, birds, fish, dogs (I have 3), pretty much everything and anything you can think of, I read as much as I can and get bored and frustrated very fast if I'm not being intellectually stimulated.

Do you like sports? I like rugby, due to my other disabilities I couldn't play any sports though.

Clothing: I dress like an old man (according to my sister) I obsess about dressing properly.

Job: I work in customers services for an internet marketing firm, I sort of do anything that's needed from basic HTML coding to response letters to complaints and advertising copy, you name it I can do it. My primary focus is copywriting and letter writing both of which I'm apparently very good at (according to my boss)

Woody
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2004, 11:47 pm

Hi Everyone, Would love to get to know you - would love to share some experience and hints you may have.

What is your first name? Thomas

Hobbies and Interests: Swimming, gameboy, PS2

Why are you here? I have Asperger's

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Finally - last year. 2003 - Grade 1

Favorite subjects: Reading and Maths

Year/Grade: 2

Favorite music: Pop mostly - anything with a fast beat

Books: Harry Potter

TV shows/Movies: Disney, Nick, Been through the Lord of the Rings lately

Instrument: None

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: Yes - Swimming. I want to play football or soccer - maybe next year

Family: Mum, Dad and sister - 9 months younger

Clothing: ONE LAYER ONLY!! !

How did you find this website? A friend of Mum's found it and thought we may like it.

Job: Keep my room tidy and make my bed (Ha Ha)

Plans for the future? To make it through Grade 2

Any comments? I am a very busy and active kid. I love anything and everything, very inquistive. If you have any ways to keep busy - let me know!![/quote]

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2004, 12:51 pm

Woody wrote:
Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: Yes - Swimming. I want to play football or soccer - maybe next year

Plans for the future? To make it through Grade 2

Hi Thomas! I have a 7yo son named Nick. He plays soccer and is hoping to make it through 2nd grade this year, too. 8) We live in Pennsylvania, USA. Nick does not have AS. I do! :)

Nice to meet you!

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2004, 6:18 pm

Woody wrote:
Any comments? I am a very busy and active kid. I love anything and everything, very inquistive. If you have any ways to keep busy - let me know!!

Well Woody, I was born (exactly, give or take a few hours) fifty years ago, and the best thing my parents did (after teaching me to read) was to buy me lots of books, some "frivolous" (e.g.,"Rupert" books, two level reading, great way to improve) but many serious encyclopedias and the like; though they where aimed at children, I soon found I knew things my parents didn't....cool huh?

Phoenix_Voice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2004, 6:58 am

What is your first name? Brian

Hobbies and Interests: Writing lyrics and music, singing, rapping, being a computer junkie

Why are you here? Cause i felt like it

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): mid 2001

Favorite subjects: as in school subjects? bah.. school sucks, unless it's a fun class that you're really good at and that everyone else takes just cause slacking is allowed

Year/Grade: done

Favorite music: Heavy metal. Also hip hop. long as it's not overly stupid. also i'll listen to almost anything else that sounds good.

Books: hmm, don't read much even though i enjoy it..don't really have a favourite book

TV shows/Movies: return of the king, and NOT because everyone and their pet squirrel was praising it when it came out; but cause it really does it for me, it's wonderfully emotional and is the closest to a perfect film i've ever seen

Instrument: I sing (good), rap (incredible), and play a bit of guitar (not that good)

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: never cared for sports

Family: a bunch of weird people :P

Clothing: something practical.

How did you find this website? google

Job: er.................nope :?

Plans for the future? vocalist, no doubt about it

Any comments? hmm.. i like monty python?

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2004, 11:54 pm

What is your first name? Rebekah

Hobbies and Interests: good grief....there are too many to list....the major ones: art, goats, autism.

Why are you here? I am pretty danged sure I have Aspeberger's or mild autism.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): not yet

Favorite subjects: Art, reading, science

Year/Grade: haven't been to school since 8th grade.

Favorite music: Classical, Elton John, Simon and Garfunkel, Vanessa Mae, Rap, Crystal Method-type stuff.... I don't much like Opera or Country Western.

Books: Non Fiction, Sci-fi, Barbra Kingsolver, Victor Hugo, Dickens, Amy Tan, Pearl S. Buck, Classics..

TV shows/Movies: Don't watch T.V., but if I did, I like shows such as 'Operation'. I have heard that there is one called "Autopsy' and this sounds intriguing! I tend to prefer foreign films, also Monty Python, and Patch Adams.

Instrument: Recorder. Want to learn violin

Do you like sports? Bicycling.

Family: 5 children

Clothing: Either male (cargo pants and jeans) or sleek form fitting clothes. I do not like to feel fabric flapping around me or for the shirts to feel baggy, I feel more secure when I can feel them in contact with my body. Generally I have a rather androgynous appearance and style of dress.

How did you find this website? referred from aspergia.com

Job: Hahaha. I work with developmentally disabled children and adults with an agency called SL Start. This was the catalyst for the realization that I probably did have some form of autism...I felt far more comfortable with my autistic client than I did the other workers, and kept defending her point of view!! ! I also work in a groocery store and I hate that.

Eventually I'd like to be an artist; I have sold work, some of it has been published, so there is hope.

Any comments? It's really nice to be here and to have found a pattern and reasons for the way I am. All my life I have felt very alone and as though there wasn't another one like me.

Games: I like chess and Boggle. For a while I was absolutely obsessed with each of them, but could not find enough competition. :-(

rewired
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2004, 2:31 pm

What is your first name? Phil

Hobbies and interests: Reading, listening to music, skiing, football (soccer), tennis (watching and playing - though not very good at playing, mind.)

Why are you here? I suspect I am an aspie.

When were you diagnosed? Never officially, just self-diagnosed.

Favourite subjects: English

Year/Grade: Graduated from University

Favourite music: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, U2 (early stuff), Stereophonics, Destiny`s Child.

Books: Dan Brown books, "The Half Brother" (can`t remember author - he is Norwegian though), "1984" (George Orwell), loads of different stuff

TV shows/ Movies: don`t watch much TV, but "Have I Got News For You" is a great show - if you`re from outside UK you probably won`t know this, also classic comedies like "Blackadder", "Fawlty Towers" etc.
Movies - LOTR trilogy, Matrix, Apocalyse Now, Shawshank Redemption, Shrek, Fight Club

Instrument: used to play piano and guitar, no longer

do you like sports? ski-ing, soccer (watching), tennis (watching and trying to play!)

family: parents, siblings

clothing: comfortable/soft clothes. Not many bright colours.

how did you find this website? searched for Asperger`s on Google and this was one of the hits. Seems a fascinating site.

Job: haven`t got one yet

any comments: i would like to know for certain if i am an aspie or not. I fit many of the criteria but am not 100% sure. Maybe this site will help me find out.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2004, 3:50 pm

Welcome, Phil. I'm Cindy, 41, from the USA. I don't have an "official" dx either, but at this point in my life, I'm not interested in that. I just learned about AS in May and it's been a tremendous relief to finally understand why I am the way I am. :)