Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

marika.ashley
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2017, 9:51 pm

Hello everybody! I haven't used a forum in a long time, but here goes. :star:

I am very new to embracing my identity as an Aspie. My older brother was diagnosed with Asperger's just as I was graduating from high school (about six years ago,) and the extreme nature of his experience necessitated a lot of assistance for him to start functioning better. Because I was seemingly coping with life better (with more learned social behavior, being a girl and all,) I nor my family seriously considered that I might be in need of support as well. My brother's situation was more serious, so I looked over my own experiences.

I have just recently graduated from University with an art degree and moved back in with my parents (hallelujah.) College presented a plethora of challenges that I simply had to white-knuckle my way through; I wish I had applied some coping mechanisms during that time, it would have made my experience much less traumatic. (lol) But that would have required an understanding and acceptance of Asperger's in myself that I had not yet acquired.

Though I've been aware of my various Aspie tendencies for several years, only now am I starting to identify myself in this group and seek information and assistance for my weaknesses and tendencies. I cannot even describe how comforting it is to discover that there are others out there like me, and that you don't have to be ashamed because of things like soothing stims and bizarre, obsessive hobbies. I finally feel like there is an explanation for all of the strange, inexplicable events in my life, and I'm excited to learn more about living with AS and cultivating a richer life, instead of one full of confusion and shame. Beyond excited!!

I am interested in art, music, anime/manga, art history and Japanese culture. I am hoping to make some lasting friendships here! Thank you for reading :sunny:

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm

Welcome to the forum! ^^

I also love music, anime/manga and Japanese culture. Aaaand video games. :lol:

Robert2P1CT
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2017, 9:01 pm

Thanks for sharing and welcome!

Likewise, congratulations on your success and triumph inside the halls of academia. Be very proud of what you have accomplished. Moreover, the more education you get, the more you can help others like us, and it will also buy you some respect within the neuro-typical world. For every individual with a spectrum disorder that finishes college, it's becomes an inspiration to others with those same challenges.

Best wishes in your future endeavors.

:)

EQ = 16

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2017, 4:57 pm

marika.ashley wrote:

I am interested in art, music, anime/manga, art history and Japanese culture. I am hoping to make some lasting friendships here! Thank you for reading :sunny:

We need to become best friends..NOW! :lol: :lol:

marika.ashley
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2017, 12:52 am

Robert2P1CT wrote:
Thanks for sharing and welcome!

Likewise, congratulations on your success and triumph inside the halls of academia. Be very proud of what you have accomplished. Moreover, the more education you get, the more you can help others like us, and it will also buy you some respect within the neuro-typical world. For every individual with a spectrum disorder that finishes college, it's becomes an inspiration to others with those same challenges.

Best wishes in your future endeavors.

:)

Thank you! I had never thought of my challenges that way, what an interesting perspective. I certainly hope that my challenges and perseverance through college might encourage someone else! :)