Does anyone like the New York and New Jersey accent?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 4:28 pm

I really like the NY and NJ accent, and I am just posting this to see if anyone here thinks the same about these accents. Do you like these accents, or do you like other accents besides these ones? Opinions about them can be posted down below. ;)

Thanks!

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on August 17, 2017)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:12 pm

I like them! I think they are full of character.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 5:21 pm

They are, I love the way they say coffee. Anyway its the only American accent other than obviously Southern I can recognise. They all sound the same to me.

BBC: Radio 4

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 3:23 pm

Voxish wrote:
They are, I love the way they say coffee. Anyway its the only American accent other than obviously Southern I can recognise. They all sound the same to me.

True! I like the way they say that, and other words like scared, car, bad, etc. I also wish I had a NY or NJ accent xD but the best chance that I would have sounding like that would to try and pick up the accent genuinely lol.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:03 pm

I like those accents, but I love British accents even more :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:02 pm

Ah, I like that accent too! xD

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2017, 4:11 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Excellent :D

BBC: Radio 4

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2017, 1:46 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
I really like the NY and NJ accent, and I am just posting this to see if anyone here thinks the same about these accents. Do you like these accents, or do you like other accents besides these ones? Opinions about them can be posted down below. ;)

Thanks!

Ummm, which NY accent? Long Island, Brookly, the Bronx, Queens ... All are quite distinctly different ;) (I'm an LI boy myself ... can't hear it anymore from moving around the country so many times as an adult)

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 3:27 pm

soloha wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

Thanks!

Ummm, which NY accent? Long Island, Brookly, the Bronx, Queens ... All are quite distinctly different ;) (I'm an LI boy myself ... can't hear it anymore from moving around the country so many times as an adult)

Oh, my bad! xD I actually never knew there were variants of the NY accent. Lol, I guess any of them. (A little embarrassed) :lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:47 pm

Voxish wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Excellent :D

I watch a British YouTuber in all my spare time (when it's my "special interest"), so I've even picked up a load of terms and there is a slight British tone to my voice :D !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

Voxish wrote:
They are, I love the way they say coffee.

Is that the one that sounds like 'cwaawfee'?

I always find the pronunciation of 'murder' as something like 'moider' pretty funny, and associate it with old gangster films. Is that also a NY thing, or maybe Chicago?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

Friggin Aye!

Lol!

Actually - though that "Yo Tony! Friggin Aye" New York thing is fun to imitate, I don't find it particularly aesthetically pleasing to listen to in the way that some dialects are pleasing to listen to.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:06 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
soloha wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

Thanks!

Oh, my bad! xD I actually never knew there were variants of the NY accent. Lol, I guess any of them. (A little embarrassed) :lol:

After hearing all the different NY accents from the 5 different boroughs, I like hearing all of them. ;)

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2017, 11:39 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
soloha wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

Thanks!

After hearing all the different NY accents from the 5 different boroughs, I like hearing all of them. ;)

Did you experience them personally or look them on on YouTube or something? I actually thought about linking a bunch of vids for demonstration when I first read this thread but I was busy with something else and of course forgot. I'm glad you found a way to compare them anyway :) It is a very interesting area of the country.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:43 am

soloha wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
soloha wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

Thanks!

Did you experience them personally or look them on on YouTube or something? I actually thought about linking a bunch of vids for demonstration when I first read this thread but I was busy with something else and of course forgot. I'm glad you found a way to compare them anyway :) It is a very interesting area of the country.

I learned about the 5 different accents of New York from YouTube. For the New Jersey accent, I have a friend from New Jersey, so I kinda have an idea what that sounds like.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 1:21 pm

...I'm from Westcheser County, which is immediaely to the north of NYC, so I have a New York area accent.
Actually, I guess a " NY accent " can go considerably further upstate into Nrw York State. there's someone I know from out here, in Santa Cruz, CA, who has a definite New York accent...but he's from more upstate, Syracuse or something like that...But he does have the accent, he noticed it in me too, when we're around each other I sorta get more fast-talking and " Noo Yawk "-esque :) ...........Um, anyway. So...how's your mom, Ed :P :wink:?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!