Question a Mod's decisions, here.....

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 958
Location: UK

12 Jul 2017, 6:13 pm

Just had another annoying run-in with mods. Had a post deleted that didn't break any rules, it was merely a factual answer to a valid question. Granted an answer that would be hated by anyone with strong left-leaning views, however as I said it was not opinion, I was simply stating facts. I wasn't sent a PM to say why it had been deleted, I started a thread asking why it was deleted that has been ignored for over 24 hours. I have asked in the "correct thread" for a reason why, and I am simply being ignored. The moderator doesn't even have the courage to own up that they did it and explain why they did it, and given *no* moderator has said anything I can only assume there is some kind of behind-closed-doors collusion going on. It's simply disrespectful to treat people this way and certainly no way to moderate a forum. How can anyone ensure what they post is within the rules if they are not told what the rules are or what rules they've broken that caused a post to be deleted? If the fact was on some list of banned-facts-we-don't-like is there a complete list somewhere of all the facts that I'm not allowed to mention? Can I say the Earth is round? Can I say there are no dinosaurs in The Bible?

Not being told why a post was deleted is neither here nor there if the reason is obvious, but to not be told then be deliberately ignored when asking for a reason is on a completely different level. Hang your head in shame moderators.



Aaron Rhodes
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 85

13 Jul 2017, 1:43 am

Since the mods are just as human as anyone else here, perhaps someone should work on a program that does the moderation of the site. I know it's a lot easier said than done, and I'm sure it's been tried before, but it would take out the biased opinions and favoritism on many of the controversial topics, leaving only the intended purpose of moderation. The removal or editing of posts should be something that the poster has control over if and when prompted to do so. As long as it keeps posts in line with the site rules and guidelines, removing/editing posts or locking threads is a necessary evil.

I don't have any personal issues with the mods, and as far as I know, they are doing exactly what they're supposed to do to keep the site as a safe and respectful place for people to discuss their issues. Perhaps when anything is changed or removed, there should be a placeholder that gives an explanation for the editing or removal of the post/thread, that way something won't just vanish and leave people confused as to the reasoning for it.


_________________
I would rather be alone the rest of my life than replace the feelings I have for the one I love.


TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2014
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,596
Location: Hampshire

16 Jul 2017, 5:48 am

Totally agree, Aaron.

The playstation forums do exactly that on every moderated post. The mod dealing with it posts something on their account, or adds a footnote to moderated posts saying it was them and why they did it. There needs to be some sort of accountability.


_________________
Yours sincerely, some dude.


Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 958
Location: UK

16 Aug 2017, 12:03 pm

Another post deleted and another "forum warning" for questioning B19.

EDIT: Insinuations are against the rules.



Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,235
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

31 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

Aaron Rhodes wrote:
Since the mods are just as human as anyone else here, perhaps someone should work on a program that does the moderation of the site. I know it's a lot easier said than done, and I'm sure it's been tried before, but it would take out the biased opinions and favoritism on many of the controversial topics, leaving only the intended purpose of moderation. The removal or editing of posts should be something that the poster has control over if and when prompted to do so. As long as it keeps posts in line with the site rules and guidelines, removing/editing posts or locking threads is a necessary evil.

I don't have any personal issues with the mods, and as far as I know, they are doing exactly what they're supposed to do to keep the site as a safe and respectful place for people to discuss their issues. Perhaps when anything is changed or removed, there should be a placeholder that gives an explanation for the editing or removal of the post/thread, that way something won't just vanish and leave people confused as to the reasoning for it.

There IS a "sort-of" program (just a bit of coding, rather, that comes-with the "site-build") that does some, "sort-of", moderation, in that the option to put asterisks, instead of the actual letters, in some cuss words, has been selected. The kind of programmed moderation you're talking-about, though, is quite a bit more advanced, IMO, and there's been so many other things, to attend to.

I agree that the editing of posts should be something "the poster has control over"----and, I agree that it is a "necessary evil", because there has to be SOME rules, afterall----BUT, I feel a user should be sent a PM and told that they have to reword their post, or have it completely removed; THAT way, NO ONE, but the poster, is deciding what the poster wants to say, no.1; and, no.2, they are being told that their actions, were wrong (NOT just their post, all-of-a-sudden, disappearing - and, if it's after the editing period, they can tell the Mod, how they want the post to be edited, so that it DOESN'T break a rule[s], and then the Mod can change it, to that).

Yep, almost every single one of the Mods, has put a notation, when they've locked a thread, and I think that's EXCELLENT!! (I think I've only seen ONE Mod, NOT do it----probably to say "You're not the boss of me" [LOL], cuz alot of us have said that we feel they should.) I don't think, however, that I've EVER seen a notation, when a post has been completely removed. I HAVE seen a notation, though, a few times, when a post has been edited, by a Mod; so, that's GOOD, IMO.





_________________
White female; age 55; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,118
Location: IN MY ACURA TL.

31 Aug 2017, 9:42 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Another post deleted and another "forum warning" for questioning B19.

EDIT: Insinuations are against the rules.


saying that other people have agendas they clearly don't is something i can't wrap my head around.


_________________
I shall live and be in Duinkerken; that's just how it is.

(not currently a mod.)

"christine is one of the ugliest people i saw, mostly because of her personality"


jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,902
Location: The end of the northwest passage

31 Aug 2017, 10:02 pm

It's the cool new dance move that has all the kids bugging out.

There have been instances where a public record would have quashed some false claims, but the repeat offenders would see the notation as further cause for complaint. We've seen how they love to waste people's time.


_________________
A fish in water doesn't know it's wet


Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 958
Location: UK

31 Aug 2017, 11:17 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
Another post deleted and another "forum warning" for questioning B19.

EDIT: Insinuations are against the rules.


saying that other people have agendas they clearly don't is something i can't wrap my head around.

People not being able to see when others clearly have an agenda is something I can't wrap my head around.

Besides, I thought being a mod gave you the right to moderate content and to decide if it goes against rules or guidelines, not that it gives you the right to silence people you don't agree with. It's fair to say I'm generally an argumentative person and I've argued with lots of people on here (it's one of the things a forum is for), so why have I had three forum warnings for arguing with B19 but no-one else? Am I supposed to believe this is just a coincidence? When you have some members who do nothing but name call, abuse others, derail threads etc seemingly with no warnings at all it does make one quite confused, and makes it very hard to believe the rules are being applied consistently and fairly for all.

Needless to say I'll probably get another forum warning for this post. Would be nice if someone would actually address the issue as there is clearly one here. I want to the freedom to disagree with and argue with anyone, to point out flaws in anyone's argument, moderator or not.



Britte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,996
Location: CA

03 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

I have a suggestion, in case it could be something to consider. I think it would be beneficial if there was at least, one Moderator, well-versed in the recognition of covert intimidation/bullying. If there was someone of whom a target could trust to help them, or, at the very least, believe them, in such situations. I, recently, managed to navigate my way through such a situation, here, myself. Actually, it was my second experience with covert intimidation, here. Some people are skilled at behaving in such a way, as part of their MO, to avoid being found out, or, prevent the target from being believed, if a target were to report their actions. I have learned from past experience, that, if a target points something out that appears to be of little to no concern to the naked eye (so to speak), the target (and, sometimes, the targets friends/associates) will, inevitably, be punished by said bullies, (or, possibly the people in authority), while the bullying person will, in most instances, get away with their behavior. I could elaborate, further if need be, but, perhaps, there is no need for that. Thankfully, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the members, in approx 8 days. Perhaps, they have been gone for longer, as I had taken a break for 6 days, prior to returning from a reprieve I had from here. If there is in fact, a moderator/moderators with the ability to recognize covert actions, I would appreciate knowing who they are, in case I run into a similar situation, again, in the future.



TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2014
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,596
Location: Hampshire

03 Sep 2017, 6:51 pm

I'm pretty certain an attempt to circumvent moderation penalties is also against the rules in general.
The only way it gets picked up and dealt with is when the mods are totally impartial and set aside the culprit's alignment to them. Until recently this wasn't happening.

What you're referring to is gaslighting behaviour. Gaslighting is being dealt with more vigilantly I've noticed, and good for the mods. There's also the flip-side, where people come in with alternate accounts, pretend to be "triggered" by the most trivial of posts in order to criminalise users, opinions, and interests groups someone doesn't like as well as shut down conversations in threads because they are not going the way a user would like them to be going.

Without naming names there is a user who is/was (or at least considers) themselves to be an abuse victim and they keep coming here with alt accounts, preying on "stupid Aspie men" comments and at first the posts go undetected, then ignored, then defended, then questioned, then moderated, then banned. In that order. You'd think people would learn the first time. But no. I mean, all you have to do is go through a user's post history and the signs are all there. None of the introduction, questioning Aspieness posts or threads. No getting to know anyone. No personal info sharing. Just straight into the political, negative topics, targetting specific posts from the get go. But no, no one picks up on it.

All the same it relates back to your comments about intelligent and covert methods of bullying that either go undetected or circumvent moderation protocol.


_________________
Yours sincerely, some dude.


Booyakasha
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 6 Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,431

04 Sep 2017, 4:04 am

Chichikov wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
Another post deleted and another "forum warning" for questioning B19.

EDIT: Insinuations are against the rules.


saying that other people have agendas they clearly don't is something i can't wrap my head around.

People not being able to see when others clearly have an agenda is something I can't wrap my head around.

Besides, I thought being a mod gave you the right to moderate content and to decide if it goes against rules or guidelines, not that it gives you the right to silence people you don't agree with. It's fair to say I'm generally an argumentative person and I've argued with lots of people on here (it's one of the things a forum is for), so why have I had three forum warnings for arguing with B19 but no-one else? Am I supposed to believe this is just a coincidence? When you have some members who do nothing but name call, abuse others, derail threads etc seemingly with no warnings at all it does make one quite confused, and makes it very hard to believe the rules are being applied consistently and fairly for all.

Needless to say I'll probably get another forum warning for this post. Would be nice if someone would actually address the issue as there is clearly one here. I want to the freedom to disagree with and argue with anyone, to point out flaws in anyone's argument, moderator or not.


Lol no you will not get another warning for this post :)

With regards to "the members who do nothing but name call, abuse others, derail threads etc seemingly with no warnings at all" it would be best if you'd continue to report if you see such instances of bad behaviour and just give us time...we can't be here all the time and see everything and everyone who's misbehaving but rather we need everybody's help in order to make this forum as peaceful as possible.


_________________
Raleigh wrote:
Ferrets ferretver.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
what a magarac


Currently not a mod.


Booyakasha
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 6 Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,431

04 Sep 2017, 4:07 am

Britte wrote:
I have a suggestion, in case it could be something to consider. I think it would be beneficial if there was at least, one Moderator, well-versed in the recognition of covert intimidation/bullying. If there was someone of whom a target could trust to help them, or, at the very least, believe them, in such situations. I, recently, managed to navigate my way through such a situation, here, myself. Actually, it was my second experience with covert intimidation, here. Some people are skilled at behaving in such a way, as part of their MO, to avoid being found out, or, prevent the target from being believed, if a target were to report their actions. I have learned from past experience, that, if a target points something out that appears to be of little to no concern to the naked eye (so to speak), the target (and, sometimes, the targets friends/associates) will, inevitably, be punished by said bullies, (or, possibly the people in authority), while the bullying person will, in most instances, get away with their behavior. I could elaborate, further if need be, but, perhaps, there is no need for that. Thankfully, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the members, in approx 8 days. Perhaps, they have been gone for longer, as I had taken a break for 6 days, prior to returning from a reprieve I had from here. If there is in fact, a moderator/moderators with the ability to recognize covert actions, I would appreciate knowing who they are, in case I run into a similar situation, again, in the future.



TheSpectrum wrote:
I'm pretty certain an attempt to circumvent moderation penalties is also against the rules in general.
The only way it gets picked up and dealt with is when the mods are totally impartial and set aside the culprit's alignment to them. Until recently this wasn't happening.

What you're referring to is gaslighting behaviour. Gaslighting is being dealt with more vigilantly I've noticed, and good for the mods. There's also the flip-side, where people come in with alternate accounts, pretend to be "triggered" by the most trivial of posts in order to criminalise users, opinions, and interests groups someone doesn't like as well as shut down conversations in threads because they are not going the way a user would like them to be going.

Without naming names there is a user who is/was (or at least considers) themselves to be an abuse victim and they keep coming here with alt accounts, preying on "stupid Aspie men" comments and at first the posts go undetected, then ignored, then defended, then questioned, then moderated, then banned. In that order. You'd think people would learn the first time. But no. I mean, all you have to do is go through a user's post history and the signs are all there. None of the introduction, questioning Aspieness posts or threads. No getting to know anyone. No personal info sharing. Just straight into the political, negative topics, targetting specific posts from the get go. But no, no one picks up on it.

All the same it relates back to your comments about intelligent and covert methods of bullying that either go undetected or circumvent moderation protocol.


Regarding such members, it would be best if you'd notify us of instances or suspicions of such behaviour - either by PM or by report button.


_________________
Raleigh wrote:
Ferrets ferretver.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
what a magarac


Currently not a mod.


Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,235
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

04 Sep 2017, 10:37 am

Britte wrote:
If there is in fact, a moderator/moderators with the ability to recognize covert actions, I would appreciate knowing who they are, in case I run into a similar situation, again, in the future.

IMO/E, the three most adept in this ability, are: Kip, Boo, and Enviro. Unfortunately, it seems, going-by his recent addition to his signature, that Kip is taking a break from being a Mod (TOTALLY understandable)----and, here's hoping that his hiatus, won't be very long, cuz we need him----but, we still have those 2, I mentioned, left, THANK GOD!!

Also, I would suggest PMing Boo or Enviro----as opposed to hitting the "Report" button, cuz, IMO, hitting that Report button is like what Mrs. Gump, said: "You never know what you're gonna get"----and, PMing ENSURES you'll get who you want.





_________________
White female; age 55; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,235
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

04 Sep 2017, 10:52 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
I'm pretty certain an attempt to circumvent moderation penalties is also against the rules in general. The only way it gets picked up and dealt with is when the mods are totally impartial and set aside the culprit's alignment to them. Until recently this wasn't happening.

What you're referring to is gaslighting behaviour. Gaslighting is being dealt with more vigilantly I've noticed, and good for the mods.

I agree!! IMO, that's another reason why we need Kip, back here, ASAP----cuz he is, IMO, VERY adept (as well as the other 2, I mentioned), at going-back through a thread (even if it's 5/6/7 pages), and reading every post, to determine where / when trouble, started.




_________________
White female; age 55; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


Britte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,996
Location: CA

04 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Britte wrote:
If there is in fact, a moderator/moderators with the ability to recognize covert actions, I would appreciate knowing who they are, in case I run into a similar situation, again, in the future.

IMO/E, the three most adept in this ability, are: Kip, Boo, and Enviro. Unfortunately, it seems, going-by his recent addition to his signature, that Kip is taking a break from being a Mod (TOTALLY understandable)----and, here's hoping that his hiatus, won't be very long, cuz we need him----but, we still have those 2, I mentioned, left, THANK GOD!!

Also, I would suggest PMing Boo or Enviro----as opposed to hitting the "Report" button, cuz, IMO, hitting that Report button is like what Mrs. Gump, said: "You never know what you're gonna get"----and, PMing ENSURES you'll get who you want.


Thanks Cat !


_________________
To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world. -Freya Stark

~This post may self-destruct within seconds (does not apply to musical posts).