Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 8:32 am

Hi All,

I would like to see a Men's Discussion forum as there seems to be a lot of expression in this area but nowhere for it to go.
Men have things they like to discuss amongst themselves just as us ladies do and they may want some space for this. I am surprised this is not already in place.

I for one would also like to be more educated in what is important for men and how they are feelling in our present society.

I hope I haven't missed someone else's request for this.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:44 am

It occasionally does get requested. Apparently it was tried years ago and failed. Also WP’s software is a mess so putting a new feature in might be difficult and cause a lot of problems. But if it could be done I would like to see it. What happened years ago with different users should not be used to deny us.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:55 am

This sounds most encouraging - thank you for your consideration.

Yes things do change and the dynamics of such a large site like this change too.

I so do hope it can happen and be managed.

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2017, 10:10 am

how/why did it fail?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 10:47 am

^ According to those who were here at the time, the men's forum saw very little activity.
There was a rumor that it got deleted because there was too much inappropriate posting there, but that that has been denied by old time members here.

I too wish the men did have their own forum here still. Both genders should have their own forum, not just the women.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:33 am

Hi Skilpaddle,

So does this mean that this will be considered as a possibility for the future?

I am seeing so many angry men out there trying to express themselves and this can sometimes bend a thread into chaos when somebody is just seeking some support or camaraderie. I wonder if this is a reason why it didn't work in the past - did it get too heated at times?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:05 pm

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:47 am

Thank you B19.

This was in the random section which suggests there is no other place for it.

It looked like a thread which was being used in a reasonable way.

Still a shame that it doesn't have a right to a slot out in the open of it's own.

And where are all the men who could be backing up this thread?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Oct 2017, 3:24 am

Me & other guys suggested this before & women accused us of being misogynist for wanting it because they thought the only reason guys would need their own forum is so they could bash women. It's great to see a women suggesting this OP.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:16 am

As I said before, I think it is only fair to have a section for men to discuss their own issues and desires.

We all have a right to our own view and if others do not like it then they can choose not to read it.

I also understand that this may be a difficult task because of the software on this site. I know nothing of these matters so cannot comment.

I would really like to see men have a place of their own to be free to express themselves.

Would a vote be of any value I wonder?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:54 am

Personally, I couldn't care less one way or the other.

The final decision rests with Alex. If he doesn't want to add one, then there won't be one, period.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 3:39 pm

I think a men's discussion forum does sound nice but a little redundant. I think the way the site was made it was intended for males as back then people thought autism was an incredibly rare thing in females. So I think there is no men's forum because the site in a way provided that with in itself.(considering the site is dominant of males.)

Also men don't have as many sensitive things to talk about that's not already covered in one of the other forums. Women have other things to talk about that have nothing to do with men like...cycles...breast...you know what I'm talking about! I can't think of a lot of things that men can talk about that would need to be separate.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2017, 5:16 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I think a men's discussion forum does sound nice but a little redundant. I think the way the site was made it was intended for males as back then people thought autism was an incredibly rare thing in females. So I think there is no men's forum because the site in a way provided that with in itself.(considering the site is dominant of males.)

Also men don't have as many sensitive things to talk about that's not already covered in one of the other forums. Women have other things to talk about that have nothing to do with men like...cycles...breast...you know what I'm talking about! I can't think of a lot of things that men can talk about that would need to be separate.

No , I don't get what you 're talking about. (I'm a little slow , but still :P )
The reason for a separate forum to exist is not exactly sensitive topics, that could otherwise not be openlly discussed (everyone has genitals and everyone has breasts etc). A thread about menstrual cycles or pregnancies (or prostate check ups) could easily be hosted in the ''copying in life'' section, for example. Keep in mind that anyone regardless of gender has the power to view and reply to any forum. The thing is, people sometimes need to target certain audiences and raise their chances of geting specific help from someone with similar experiences. And that is the case with many threads in the ''love and dating'' forum right now, where feedback from females is not appreciated very much.

I don't know what it would cost to implement a new forum but I think it would be usefull.However, given the (lack of) reactions this subject got ,most male members seem unamazed by the idea .

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:58 pm

Spyoon wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

No , I don't get what you 're talking about. (I'm a little slow , but still :P )
The reason for a separate forum to exist is not exactly sensitive topics, that could otherwise not be openlly discussed (everyone has genitals and everyone has breasts etc). A thread about menstrual cycles or pregnancies (or prostate check ups) could easily be hosted in the ''copying in life'' section, for example. Keep in mind that anyone regardless of gender has the power to view and reply to any forum. The thing is, people sometimes need to target certain audiences and raise their chances of geting specific help from someone with similar experiences. And that is the case with many threads in the ''love and dating'' forum right now, where feedback from females is not appreciated very much.

I don't know what it would cost to implement a new forum but I think it would be usefull.However, given the (lack of) reactions this subject got ,most male members seem unamazed by the idea .

After looking at the link B19 put up and read it a little more I can see some things in the mens discussion could use a forum of it's own.(I stand corrected.) I guess since men I have talked to never said anything that sounded like something you wouldn't want a woman hearing(nor did they really care either or.) I never thought about it.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 4:20 am

Thank you Spyoon, I have noticed the lack of interest by men on this - they are missing a trick here.

There are many mens issue's to talk about and one of the problems is that men do not talk enough about their problems which causes plenty more problems later on down the line.

Also they can have a chat about anything which is considered a male subject - not just body parts.

It is nice to see a few more guys coming into this too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 10:49 am

Truthfully, I really don't like the idea/concept of a discussion forum catered only to a single gender.

I do understand, a little more, the need for a "woman's forum," though. There is the tendency for some within the male gender to want to put their "two cents" in when it comes to discussions on 'female issues"; whereas women tend not to be so inclined to put their "two cents" in within a male-centered forum.