Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

Today, someone wrote me a message saying that I should use something called "PMs." I have no idea what this person is talking about. I do not know anything about computers. Can any one explain to me what is going on? I am really worried, and I hope I am not doing anything wrong on here.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:17 am

"PMs" are "private messages." It's a way for you to communicate with just one other person and not have everyone else be able to see it. You can click the "(#) new messages" link at the top of the page to get to your PM section.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:18 am

300series wrote:
Today, someone wrote me a message saying that I should use something called "PMs." I have no idea what this person is talking about. I do not know anything about computers. Can any one explain to me what is going on? I am really worried, and I hope I am not doing anything wrong on here.

It's old school net-speak for inboxing, or directly messaging someone in private on the net.

Top right of this page you should see 3 links; "My Account", "Private Messages" and "Log Out".
Click the Private Messages link to be directed to your inbox similar to an email inbox only its specifically between fellow Wrong Planet users.

On the left, Click on "Compose Message" and go from there.
That user is advising you on the good faith that you won't abuse the feature :lol: so DON'T!! It may be private but moderators can view messages if they are flagged/reported by the recipients. :skull:

Jus Saiyan. Image

Hope this helps, Amigo.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2017, 11:19 am

A PM is a private message. Click on someones username and it will bring you to their profile. You will find a link there to send them a private message. At the op of the page (next to the log out button) there is a link that says how many messages you have. If you click it it will bring you to your messages (if it says something more than 0).

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 1:00 pm

Also, it's considered polite to only send someone Private Messages if they have invited you to, or if you checked with them first. Some people just don't like to use them at all, so if someone says they would rather not, you should respect that and not take it as a personal insult. And remember that some people are only on the forum from time to time, so don't fill up their in-box with more PM's if you don't get a reply straight away.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 1:28 pm

No, you're not doing anything wrong. Don't worry, it was just a tip. :D

TheSpectrum: What am I supposed to call them?

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 1:51 pm

They're called PM's here so you're calling it the right name :D

WP is an old site and I attribute it being called a PM instead of message to that.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 3:06 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
They're called PM's here so you're calling it the right name :D

WP is an old site and I attribute it being called a PM instead of message to that.

I'm on another site that probably has newer software (IPBoards), and the notifications do call them messages, but I still do hear people using the term PM.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 7:14 pm

Thank you for the explanation. I have 2 more questions:

Do Wrong Planet moderators control what is said in a private message?

Do other members have the ability to read a private message sent to another member?

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Nov 2017, 7:38 pm

300series wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. I have 2 more questions:

Do Wrong Planet moderators control what is said in a private message?

Do other members have the ability to read a private message sent to another member?

no to both

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:00 pm

I understand. I have now made the decision to leave Wrong Planet permanently, and I will not be coming back.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:27 pm

300series wrote:
I understand. I have now made the decision to leave Wrong Planet permanently, and I will not be coming back.

What? Why!!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:40 pm

Huh. :?
You should stick around.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:44 pm

300series wrote:

I'm sorry. It was just a suggestion. I wasn't upset at you or anything.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:47 pm

TheAP wrote:
300series wrote:

I'm sorry. It was just a suggestion. I wasn't upset at you or anything.

I am not sure what happened, TheAP. It definitely wasn't your fault or anything- but I am very confused.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:15 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

What? Why!!

I am sorry, it was just a misunderstanding. I thought I was in trouble over what I was writing, and that I had to use a different messaging system.