Page 10 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:15 am

nurseangela wrote:
That's another thing - when the "idiot" term was said by this person, did she get a warning or was she just "talked" to? I saw how you were explaining the situation. Anyone else would have probably been issued a citation. This is what I see as "preferencial" treatment and the thing is there is no way to know who gets what because it is not made public.

Do you mean me?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:40 am

smudge wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
That's another thing - when the "idiot" term was said by this person, did she get a warning or was she just "talked" to? I saw how you were explaining the situation. Anyone else would have probably been issued a citation. This is what I see as "preferencial" treatment and the thing is there is no way to know who gets what because it is not made public.

Do you mean me?

No, not you. You know what really bothered me? She finally figured out that she had said the wrong thing and didn't even apologize after she knew she was wrong for saying it, but that is a whole other topic.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:46 am

What topic was this?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:54 am

It was a vaccine thread.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Jan 2017, 10:31 am

Quote:
I don't understand why you, and apparently Jacoby think that you need to let people know that you enjoy their absence. I don't think that's something that ever needs to be said openly in a community like this. It's certainly not the same level of attack as saying "F you" but there is no way it's not an attack.

Why am I being lumped in here? Personally I think if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything at all which is why I bite my tongue and x out of a lot of already written replies but I guess how would anybody else know that?

FWIW I have had some pretty nasty things said to me over the last year or so, I like debating and have nice discussions with plenty of people so that nastiness doesn't originate with me. Now it's very amusing to me that some off these nasty people suddenly disappeared November 9th but I would like to see them return since I feel we have some unfinished business.

I try to detach myself from the topics I discuss, sometimes it is hard with Trump topics since it becomes so personal but I feel like I've explained my beliefs at length enough times so people know where I am coming from. Another thing different is that I have kind of a two prong interest in politics, you have ideology/beliefs on one hand and sort of sporting element with strategy/winners/losers on the other which is probably part of why I was drawn to it as topic since I always been a big fan of sport. I think this sporting side to it isn't something everybody appreciates and is something I think something a lot of people resent about politics, I've cultivated this interest over a number of years and I think anybody interested in politics like that probably evolves into a more pragmatic but cynical belief system over time.

Debate is sport, anybody posting PPR should be able to detach themselves enough so they don't personally hate the person they disagree with. Maybe I'm wrong and more people hate me than I know but I don't take it personally if somebody disagrees with me, I've separated my personal feelings about people and what I think about their politics most of my life. The way I see it is that I can agree with most people on some base things so its better to find middle ground to gain a foothold and expand on that. Personally I don't have an issue with any number of left wing posters, I think we can get along just fine if we allow ourselves to and really we're not all that different. PPR is basically like some cable news battlefield but you gotta turn it off sometimes, I post around the forum and I notice that a lot of posters that might not like what my beliefs are & vice versa like the same movies or music or go thru the same issues and struggles. It is a very diverse forum for sure but there is a common thread that most of us have and I think that always should be kept in perspective. If this discussion aren't fun and stress you out then I would beg you to stay away, it's understandable especially since it's so unavoidable right now.

I don't think I am a mean person, I have my own things I am dealing with like many of you and would much prefer to be cordial with each other than be engaged in life or death combat.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 12:09 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand why you, and apparently Jacoby think that you need to let people know that you enjoy their absence. I don't think that's something that ever needs to be said openly in a community like this. It's certainly not the same level of attack as saying "F you" but there is no way it's not an attack.

Why am I being lumped in here? Personally I think if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything at all which is why I bite my tongue and x out of a lot of already written replies but I guess how would anybody else know that?

I thought you had said that "I don't miss X" did not seem like an attack on X to you, that was all. Please don't take it any other way. If I conflated your responses with some else's please accept my apology.

It is interesting that "I don't miss X" seems very clearly to be an attack to me and not at all to some others. Someone wrote that it seemed to them to be a honest expression of emotion. "I hate you" and "You suck" are also honest expressions of emotion, but that doesn't make it right to vent them in public. Some emotions are best kept to yourself.

Maybe it comes back to Walrus' question of what kind of place we collectively think PPR should be, within Alex's allowable range of possibilities.

I think it would be a better place if Mikah had not searched out Viper's old thread to make that remark and Dox had not announced his honestly felt negative view of unspecified people like Viper in a reply to Mikah's comment.

If either one of them had started a new thread saying "I sure don't miss all that triumphalist nonsense we had from Democrats before election day" I would have had no objection at all. But the personal direction of it seemed ugly and something to discourage. It still does.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 12:14 pm

nurseangela wrote:
smudge wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Do you mean me?

No, not you. You know what really bothered me? She finally figured out that she had said the wrong thing and didn't even apologize after she knew she was wrong for saying it, but that is a whole other topic.

While the word chosen for the illustration, "idiot" was the same as the one in the incident you are thinking of, the example was generic and not meant to be a comment on that specific issue.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:17 am

BTDT wrote:
Why do you need to be an Aspie to be a moderator? I think it would be great to have some non-Aspies moderate this forum. I've been fortunate in that I've usually had "more normal" people I could just ask about stuff--but many Aspies don't have such friends.

you don't need to be an aspie to be a moderator. where did you get that from?

i agree, WP could benefit from having some non aspie, or NT moderators.

having people with inherent weaker theory of mind moderate a website where many have that same problem creates a unique set of issues.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jan 2017, 9:47 am

I know an NT has been asked to be a mod before but has repeatedly turned it down. It's certainly not disqualifying. There are more important factors to consider.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 12:00 pm

What are qualification and other factors to take into consideration? I don't really understand what is so hard about it unless it's being blocked...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jan 2017, 1:04 pm

Jacoby wrote:
What are qualification and other factors to take into consideration? I don't really understand what is so hard about it unless it's being blocked...

The very fact that people make so many mistakes suggests that it's hard.

I think the most important things are activity, personality, communication skills, past behaviour, and intelligence. Now personally I feel under-equipped but I'm also pretty sure I'm better than a lot of the options.

Issues are often quite complex and long-running. A good mod should be able to keep track of a long-running issue and provide an appropriate response to a conflict that arises. You need to judge when to act and when to just dismiss the reports. You need to be able to defuse an argument rather than escalating it. It's best if you don't have a significant history of causing trouble and alienating people.

That's why I've always thought that Janissy would be perfect, and Cornflake was pretty much perfect too. Would aghogday have been just as good? Mootoo?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:37 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I think the most important things are activity, personality, communication skills, past behaviour, and intelligence. Now personally I feel under-equipped but I'm also pretty sure I'm better than a lot of the options.

Issues are often quite complex and long-running. A good mod should be able to keep track of a long-running issue and provide an appropriate response to a conflict that arises. You need to judge when to act and when to just dismiss the reports. You need to be able to defuse an argument rather than escalating it. It's best if you don't have a significant history of causing trouble and alienating people.

That's why I've always thought that Janissy would be perfect, and Cornflake was pretty much perfect too. Would aghogday have been just as good? Mootoo?

So then how'd you get picked? :wink:

I've had multiple mods tell me they are understaffed and that too much is asked of them, if that's the case then add a new mod and I don't think there would be any shortage of volunteers. Those mods also gave a different reason for why these spots don't get filled however. Fill the spot and if doesn't work out, then vote to remove them or something, seems pretty simple.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 2:26 pm

Mootoo!! ! Yahahaha! :hail: :lmao:

Nice one.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jan 2017, 2:48 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

So then how'd you get picked? :wink:

I've had multiple mods tell me they are understaffed and that too much is asked of them, if that's the case then add a new mod and I don't think there would be any shortage of volunteers. Those mods also gave a different reason for why these spots don't get filled however. Fill the spot and if doesn't work out, then vote to remove them or something, seems pretty simple.

I did ask several times if they were sure they'd read my posts!

We are trying to recruit new mods right now. There are suitable candidates around (although so far my call for volunteers has resulted in nobody putting themselves forward; this might be because some people don't think they'd be good enough, or because people realise what a crappy job it is and don't want it). The is another issue which I'm sure long-term users can't help being aware of, suspect we're talking about the same thing. The same issue also makes it pretty hard for a mod to get removed.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

Well it seems like most long term posters are disqualified for one reason or another which is the issue, I'd do it but something tells me I'm not being considered. Come on, it would be so easy tho! :roll: :P

The limitations make it frustrating for sure tho, this probably wouldn't be an issue if that wasn't an issue.

There probably should be another American mod I think whoever it is, for diversity's sake and also I would think the timezone differences would make it more taxing than it would need be to cover all hours of the day. I don't know the statistics but I imagine Americans make up the majority of traffic on this site. XFG is the only American and I'm not sure how long she wants to stick around.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 4:03 pm

In fact, Adamantium is American too, and so of course is the Mod-in-Chief Alex.