Were you able to get through school without accomodations?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jjacmom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2015, 4:58 pm

Just wondering if most people need accommodations at some point to get through all levels of schooling? If you didn't get accommodations, do you feel you would have done better academically?

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2015, 3:04 am

I have had some accommodations to get through school. For me it was necessary, and I have done better academically.

escargot
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2015, 3:54 am

I usually do well academically, but the school does not understand my behaviour and they suspended me for "inappropriate behaviour". They wont even listen to my psychologist' recommendation and made my condition worse by being inconsistent and changing my environment all the time :(

Sometimes I just feel that people don't want to work with someone who is a bit different...

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 3:46 pm

My schooling supports were for communication problems (elementary school) and EF problems (junior high). I did not have academic accommodations like more time on tests or quiet room, and I was required to do all work that other students did, usually more due to my special gifted education program designed only for me.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Nov 2015, 3:48 pm

I might not be able to make it thru school with accommodations.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 4:02 pm

Other than some minor stuff for my vision problems, I had no accomodations at all.

Yes, I would have done better with accomodations.
Simple stuff, even.
Like being allowed to sit on the left, at the teacher's desk.
Or not being forced to sit next to the most compulsive blabbermouth I've ever seen.
That would have made it much easier.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 2:49 am

Through elementary and middle school I had physical and academic accommodations for my premature birth (smaller desk, extra time on exams due to coordination problems, snacks during the day to keep my calorie intake up, etc.) but nothing for my autism, because I wasn't diagnosed at the time. In high school I dropped the accommodations because I was embarrassed about needing them, and hated feeling different and singled out. I made it through my first two and a half years of college without accommodations, but after I got my diagnosis during the spring semester of my junior year, I signed up and got them back again. I got double time in a private room for my exams, and it helped immensely, especially in math, which I struggle with, and can never finish in the normal time limit given. I'm taking the GRE (graduate school entrance exam) in January, and am getting double time in my own private space, with extra breaks for it. It'll be helpful, because I've been practising the quantitative (math) section using workbooks, and it's difficult to finish in the standard allotted half hour, so the hour I'm getting will ensure that I don't fail because I couldn't finish in time. I really hate it when NTs get angry and claim that people who need testing accommodations are getting an unfair advantage. We're not, we're just levelling the playing field so that we have the same opportunity for success as they do.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 3:46 am

i certainly could have done without the little tiny accommodations i had.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 10:34 am

I went to school in the days before "accommodations."

I guess I was "accommodated" in some way when I attended special schools from Kindergarten-5th grade, and 9th grade-12th grade.

Never had any formal "accommodations."

I thought about getting accommodations when I went to college. That was much later--when accommodations were available.

Somebody even offered to sponsor me for accommodations---but I refused. I did okay.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 1:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I thought about getting accommodations when I went to college. That was much later--when accommodations were available.

so far the only ones i've had in college were having another room for the placement test. the standard rules allowed disqualification if one made a peep or got up once during the test. i was accommodated since, at the time i was sure that i'd disqualify myself for those reasons but...no...i finished it all in a sitting and was not making peeps.

surprising.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2015, 5:00 am

I never had accommodations. Not like it counted for much, though...

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

I've always had accommodations. I get extra time on tests and am allowed to type my notes. But me needing accommodations isn't a sign of weakness, it's just who I am and how I succeed.

nocalpoet92
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Dec 2015, 1:30 am

I've had accommodations in high school and in college. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to make it as far as I did. I'm about a year away from getting my Bachelors in Arts and my accommodations have truly been a lifesaver throughout my educational career.

Neuron9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2015, 4:00 pm

For the first time in my life, I got accommodations in my third year of university. I got an A average before that just fine. I was really excited about getting extra time (I always struggle to finish in the time limit, for whatever reason) and getting to write in a 'quiet room.' However, the quiet room was a sham; because it's not a private room, it is a room with multiple people who get to write exams with special accommodations, and everybody's exams started and ended at different times. On top of the fact that the lights are noisy, people are constantly coming and going. It also changes what room it is being written in sometimes (particularly for finals when more people have exams)(which I don't get to know in advance), is stressful trying to set up (because of all of the paperwork required for each course and each test). I didn't take them this semester, and I haven't decided whether or not I will do the paperwork and write in that space again next semester. I'll wait and see how finals go in the regular setting ;) I like the idea of not having to write the exam in that crazy, chaotic place (and did I say the lights are noisy in the main room they have us write exams in). I wish there were accommodations to help with the social aspect of living in residence and eating in dining hall . . . although I did get permission to take food away from dining hall in my plastic containers if I'm having a super bad day.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2015, 8:59 am

I suffered greatly through high school and college. I finally received accommodations my last semester of undergrad, but I never ended up using them.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 1:39 am

Neuron9 wrote:
However, the quiet room was a sham; because it's not a private room, it is a room with multiple people who get to write exams with special accommodations, and everybody's exams started and ended at different times. On top of the fact that the lights are noisy, people are constantly coming and going.

that's how my writing assessment went, more or less. the room was like what you described, but it was still worth it since i could get up and not have to risk my disqualification.

i took my math exam in one f the staff members offices which was...really neat!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.