Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2016, 9:33 pm

I need help writing a letter to my professors. I feel like I need to explain my learning style due to my autism. I wasn't diagnosed as being on the spectrum until I was in my late-20's, and I'm currently almost 40. When I was 18, I was tested and they discovered traits that they would later call autism (Aspergers). I used to just hand my professors my IEP, but now it's really really old and outdated. I went back to college about 2 years ago to finish a new degree. When I started back, I checked into the testing office (so I could get more time and considerations), because I have trouble with sensory overload especially during high stress moments. When I was in high school, I really suffered because nobody knew what was wrong with me but somehow I was able to get A's. Now, I just want to pass. I want to tell my current professors that I might need some extra understand and explaining. I'm currently a art major. I do better in contret subjects, but I'm planning for a career in the art field and I don't want to change majors again. So, please help!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 9:56 pm

Does your college have a disability services office? Nearly all do these days. I think if you are registered with them, they would be able to notify faculty for you directly, which may be all that is needed (unless you want to supply some kind of personal letter in addition).

There Are Four Lights!