Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ReallyAnne
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2017, 12:57 pm

Just like the title says, I never wanted to go to college. I knew that since middle school. I know that my skill aren't very career worthy; their more what I would call house-wifeish skills (cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc.). I am now in my 3rd semester of my freshman year and I really don't belong here. I'm not very smart, I can't understand maths or science and I have a hard time with reading comprehension. I was the bottom 35-25% of my high school class and when taking the tests for placement, I failed the math portion twice. I also have no clue in what I want to do with my life.
I'm now taking college algebra for the 3rd time and if I dont pass it I won't be able to continue onto other classes. I'm trying my best, but I really think that I'm not going to pass (or just barely pass). My GPA is already a 2.0 and I just cant fail. I really truly do not want to be here, but I never really had a choice. My parents have a rule that in order to keep living with them that I have to go to college. I can't support myself, since I have no skills and that most jobs require at least an associates. I also cannot afford to be taken off my parent's healthcare and other things.
I wish I knew what to do. Even my school is really cheap, I don't want to go into debt. And I don't want to fail and possibly get kicked out of school. I cant just drop out, because I'll get kicked out. This whole situation has made me very stressed out, along with stress from work and my parents, I've been having more and more violent rages and been hurting myself and breaking my stuff. And its really hard to contain it and I don't want it to happen while I'm at school.
Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 1:32 pm

There are jobs that don't require a college degree.

Waitresses, cooks, and landscapers come to mind.

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-get-a ... ce-2060873
The post office makes no mention of education beyond a high school diploma.

Sales jobs don't require degrees either. Some Aspies can handle the highly structured social interaction required for sales. The in-depth knowledge of an Aspies' special interest can be a useful asset to selling stuff.

TuesdaysChild
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2017, 9:40 pm

I just heard a lady the other day talking about working in a dental lab making crowns and veneers, etc. from molds sent by dentists' offices. She had an associates, but it was in an unrelated field, so I gather that it's not required for the job. She worked as a lab employee for a few years and now does her own work out of her house with a small handful of her own dentist clients and does really well.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:53 pm

ReallyAnne wrote:
Just like the title says, I never wanted to go to college. I knew that since middle school.

College is a major gigantic cult-scam and I have plenty of evidence to prove it is a reality.
ReallyAnne wrote:
I know that my skill aren't very career worthy; their more what I would call house-wifeish skills (cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc.). I am now in my 3rd semester of my freshman year and I really don't belong here.
I'm not very smart, I can't understand maths or science and I have a hard time with reading comprehension. I was the bottom 35-25% of my high school class and when taking the tests for placement, I failed the math portion twice. I also have no clue in what I want to do with my life.

This actually sounds very familiar; even though I was considered «smart» my parents put so much ridiculous unnecessary pressure on me that I ended up failing math and barely surviving so-called science, had no idea how to do reading comprehension homework, but I used to be very strong at math & science subjects. Although that was a fair amount of time ago. I have since managed to recover after breaking free from their control.
ReallyAnne wrote:
I'm now taking college algebra for the 3rd time and if I dont pass it I won't be able to continue onto other classes. I'm trying my best, but I really think that I'm not going to pass (or just barely pass). My GPA is already a 2.0 and I just cant fail. I really truly do not want to be here, but I never really had a choice. My parents have a rule that in order to keep living with them that I have to go to college. I can't support myself, since I have no skills and that most jobs require at least an associates. I also cannot afford to be taken off my parent's healthcare and other things.

Your parents are unreasonable as far as I'm concerned (just like mine were with similar rules). The whole entire College-Industrial Complex is a religious-cult to begin with that needs to be abolished. House-wife-ish skills are still skills, such as cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc. College is only for government-controlled jobs anyway. Furthermore, I have seen a lot of college-grads working at Wal-Mart, flipping burgers, etc.
ReallyAnne wrote:
I wish I knew what to do. Even my school is really cheap, I don't want to go into debt. And I don't want to fail and possibly get kicked out of school. I cant just drop out, because I'll get kicked out. This whole situation has made me very stressed out, along with stress from work and my parents, I've been having more and more violent rages and been hurting myself and breaking my stuff. And its really hard to contain it and I don't want it to happen while I'm at school.

Move out of your parents' house and come live with me as my house-wife of course. Wait, you don't necessarily need to go that far, but your parents' ridiculous rules are certainly not helping you at all. Just so you know, I did get kicked out before, had nowhere to go but was fortunate enough to somehow end up living amongst an Ukrainian community as something of a displaced orphan whom they somewhat adopted me as-if like family.

I have a very long, incredibly complex and complicated story to tell you, part of which started out very similarly to your own situation, but I somehow managed to survive and was eventually able to resume my own studying on my own pace, such that I was able to eventually work full-time and even pass all classes at a time several years later where I had Straight-A semesters. I live low-profile for now because of interference by the insane Police State USA.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2017, 2:07 am

Go to a trade school and learn a real skill.

Here's the thing: your Bachelor's is only going to be really valuable if it's in a technical skill, like engineering, accounting, etc. If you get it in a science (biology, chemistry, etc.) or a liberal arts field (English, anthropology, etc.), then for it to mean much, you'll need to get your Master's. It sounds like this isn't the path that appeals to you.

You mentioned that you're good at "house wife" skills like cooking, sewing, etc. You can make a real career from such skills. Don't waste your education on something you won't use. If you're interested in working with your hands, I urge you to go to culinary school, a trade school in tailoring, or something else like that. Your college education can be really valuable if you do it in the right field.

ReallyAnne
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2017, 7:12 pm

Sorry for replying late, everyone. Thank you for your responses
@BTDT: I never actually thought about having a job at the post office; I hope that they have a sorting position. (Thanks for the link!)
@Amebix: My parents do put a lot a pressure of me and sometimes remind me of how I used to be good in math back in like 3rd grade. They been doing this for about 10 years (I haven't had a grade higher than a C since the 5th grade). They had a talk with me today about not failing and how much money it is. / Thats what I've been fearing since last year, that once I get that degree that I'll end up as some fast food manager (maybe not even that) since now everyone and their mom has a degree. I knew that college was cult-ish since my senior year and I got such dirty looks from the career counselor when I told her that I didn't want to go to college./ Thank you for the offer. I wish that I was married, but I'm kinda unapproachable and I probably wont be getting a boyfriend anytime soon. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere (small farming town) so if I get kicked out, I'm screwed (Unless there are good post office jobs like BTDT suggested).

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2017, 6:26 pm

I completely relate. I never wanted to go to college either. College isn't for everyone. I've never figured out what I wanted to do and I don't have good organizational skills. I have changed my major so many times because there is not a whole lot that interests me. The only reason I'm going to college is because that is what has been expected of me. College is great for people who know what they want to do and who have the social and organizational skills. I am a little more than halfway through college, and the upper division courses are awful. They almost make me want to drop out and not get my degree. I don't know what to do. I really don't want to learn a skill.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 7:07 pm

I never wanted to go to college, and I have a factory job waiting for me to sign my life away to, but I'm not taking it one bit. I'm going to college to support my own living and myself.

Yes employers are rough and mean, but so what? The more stuff there is on a resume, the better the chances you have of getting a paid job.

Colleges, check.
Work experience, check.
Conspiracy theories, X MARK.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 7:16 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
ReallyAnne wrote:
Just like the title says, I never wanted to go to college. I knew that since middle school.

College is a major gigantic cult-scam and I have plenty of evidence to prove it is a reality.
ReallyAnne wrote:
I know that my skill aren't very career worthy; their more what I would call house-wifeish skills (cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc.). I am now in my 3rd semester of my freshman year and I really don't belong here.
I'm not very smart, I can't understand maths or science and I have a hard time with reading comprehension. I was the bottom 35-25% of my high school class and when taking the tests for placement, I failed the math portion twice. I also have no clue in what I want to do with my life.

This actually sounds very familiar; even though I was considered «smart» my parents put so much ridiculous unnecessary pressure on me that I ended up failing math and barely surviving so-called science, had no idea how to do reading comprehension homework, but I used to be very strong at math & science subjects. Although that was a fair amount of time ago. I have since managed to recover after breaking free from their control.
ReallyAnne wrote:

Your parents are unreasonable as far as I'm concerned (just like mine were with similar rules). The whole entire College-Industrial Complex is a religious-cult to begin with that needs to be abolished. House-wife-ish skills are still skills, such as cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc. College is only for government-controlled jobs anyway. Furthermore, I have seen a lot of college-grads working at Wal-Mart, flipping burgers, etc.
ReallyAnne wrote:

Move out of your parents' house and come live with me as my house-wife of course. Wait, you don't necessarily need to go that far, but your parents' ridiculous rules are certainly not helping you at all. Just so you know, I did get kicked out before, had nowhere to go but was fortunate enough to somehow end up living amongst an Ukrainian community as something of a displaced orphan whom they somewhat adopted me as-if like family.

I have a very long, incredibly complex and complicated story to tell you, part of which started out very similarly to your own situation, but I somehow managed to survive and was eventually able to resume my own studying on my own pace, such that I was able to eventually work full-time and even pass all classes at a time several years later where I had Straight-A semesters. I live low-profile for now because of interference by the insane Police State USA.

What is your evidence?
We are living in an era where more and more jobs are requiring degrees.
To the OP have you thought of a community college. I plan on going to one even though I am an A student because I lack a lot of self care skills. Just applied this week. You could also look into trade schools, apprenticeships, or certification in a specific area. If you have a disability, a lot of states provide support in finding the elderly or disabled jobs.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 8:14 am

Stay in college or you'll end up like me.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 10:18 pm

First-hand experience. Go on, see if you can get a job, solely based on paper-qualifications;
I can tell you for a fact you either won't get it or keep it for very long if you cannot actually perform.
Even if you DID get a job, how does your financial-statement look, for your total net-worth ?
Additionally, try watching a few documentaries on the scam of academics, then read ALL of the comments.

BettaPonic wrote:
What is your evidence?
To the OP have you thought of a community college. I plan on going to one even though I am an A student because I lack a lot of self care skills. Just applied this week. You could also look into trade schools, apprenticeships, or certification in a specific area. If you have a disability, a lot of states provide support in finding the elderly or disabled jobs.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:19 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
First-hand experience. Go on, see if you can get a job, solely based on paper-qualifications;
I can tell you for a fact you either won't get it or keep it for very long if you cannot actually perform.
Even if you DID get a job, how does your financial-statement look, for your total net-worth ?
Additionally, try watching a few documentaries on the scam of academics, then read ALL of the comments.
BettaPonic wrote:
What is your evidence?

That's anecdotal evidence.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 2:25 am

Everything that comes from the «main-stream» is also only «hearsay» evidence.

BettaPonic wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
What is your evidence?

That's anecdotal evidence.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 3:41 am

ReallyAnne wrote:
Just like the title says, I never wanted to go to college. I knew that since middle school. I know that my skill aren't very career worthy; their more what I would call house-wifeish skills (cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc.). I am now in my 3rd semester of my freshman year and I really don't belong here. I'm not very smart, I can't understand maths or science and I have a hard time with reading comprehension. I was the bottom 35-25% of my high school class and when taking the tests for placement, I failed the math portion twice. I also have no clue in what I want to do with my life.

I think a better term for house wife, if she does indeed make the house a home, is home maker, and I don't believe those skills are not valuable. Personally, I believe I would make a horrible home maker. I don't care for cooking, don't have particularly refined tastes, and I'm not much for cleaning either...at least not to the extent that I keep what I would call a "tidy" home.

Considering that you feel you excel at home making skills, perhaps you should work on making yourself more approachable and find a guy who wants a traditional wife.

There are alternatives to college that your parents might consider...for example trade schools like Fashion school or beauty school, culinary school, medical assisting...or you can be a home healthcare worker and help the disabled in their homes...or the more labor intensive trades if they appeal to you.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 10:13 pm

Technical schools offer trades that do not require algebra.
Job Corps provides job training.
The military provides job training.
Year Up
Peace Corps
Americorps
live with a friend or live with someone
homeless shelter
youth hostel
"violent rages" - please go to a psychologist or psychiatrist, support group
the Kahn Academy
get a private tutor for algebra. kumon, sylvan learning center. or take a different instructor. go to office hours.
obamacare

quite frankly, though, nowadays, plenty of people with Bachelors degrees are unemployed or work at jobs that do not require a degree. likewise, plenty of jobs do not require algebra.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Mar 2017, 11:50 pm

I don't enjoy it either but I have no choice

just never ending stress, anxiety, and depression with no end in sight

and all I have is more and more school

I suck at math too so I feel like I am putting off the inevitable

being a housewife isn't so bad, at least that's an option