Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ouahentl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2017, 8:05 am

So a few years back I decided to do the Open University mainly because I didn't feel ready to move out from Home and lose the safety net I had and plus I still had and do have a lot to learn before even moving out.I am still doing the OU now, but I have been finding myself having some problems with focusing on the study, which I find odd because I actually enjoy studying, the problem seems to be I get distracted easily by the other things I enjoy like Roleplay forums or video games and then never get anything done.

This all ends up with me having to cram in the study at the last minute so I can get my essays done, and in the process panicking which leads to me doing more video gaming or internet stuff instead, which seems to calm me down. It also seems to be one of the times where I'll get overloaded [no meltdowns, though] but all that really does is lead me to panic more because I haven't done the study and such.

I don't even remember having this problem at school, it seemed to happen around college really

I was really just wondering if anyone had any advice to get around all this and actually focus on my study because I love what I'm studying, it's my favorite subject being history and something I'm passionate about, it just seems my passion for the things I do on the computer outweighs it. [I'd also say addiction to the computer] I just need to find a way to better keep studying and was just hoping for some advice on how to deal with it. My focus seems to be all over the place and worse when I suddenly want to do everything at once. I'm not entirely sure if it's an Aspergic thing or not, from what I've looked up It does seem to be a problem Aspergic people seem to have.

Oh I have tried post it notes and I just ended up ignoring them, I had them on my door and on the wall behind my computer and just didn't work.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:36 pm

If there's a silver lining, this actually sounds somewhat neurotypical :wink: or at least some overlap with neurotypical. :jester:

College has quite a bit more workload, plus perfectionist standards, some in the system itself and much of what we impose on ourselves.

One thing I might recommend is pay attention to your circadian clock and when your up energy periods are. For example, I'm a morning lark even though I wake up relatively late like 8:30. I can concentrate for longer periods without a break in the morning than during other times of the day.