80% of aspies fail out/unemployed after 4+years of college

Page 9 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2017, 2:00 pm

I,m going to go to college soon and so it's good to have advice I know it's not the academics I got to worry about except for math because I am deplorably bad which I think is because I have undianosed dyscalucia but for the first two years I,ll have family support because I,m going to a community college but the other two I,ll be on my own for the first time in my life but I,ve gotten alot better at being around people when I was younger I could hardly talk to someone outside of my family know I can hold up a conversation even if is kinda more of a one sided monalouge

Sleepycat001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
In my aspie group, 80% of high functioning aspies are unemployed, living at home or parents pay for rent, and all went college and have either:

1) Fail out of college junior year,
2) Take semesters off, fail, and graduate 2-3 years late
3) Graduate but are unemployed

These guys have been set up failure. They were sent to college without

1) Study skills/Home work habits
2) Social skills/Office etiquette/Team work skills
3) Realistic view of job market
4) Support for depression/anxiety/loneliness

And hence fail out of engineering school to go to art school or a graduate degree in massage therapy. If you weigh the chances of a HF aspie finishing college and getting a job as a professional versus failing out and getting stuck unemployed without a job history and paying for huge college loans. Much better for them to get a job, a stable paycheck, learn to show up on time, to apply and to interview, to pay bills and to know that they can survive on their own. Then, when they have 1-3 under their belt, and a back up source of income, they can go to a college in the field where they have already worked. They should go into paraprofessional work such as HVAC techs, mechanics, hospital assistants, computer techs, low level IT techs or interns, and so on.

If they don't have an interest in any of that they will forget what they have to do. That's why they need to major in their interest.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 10:19 pm

Yes they should. If they have an interest in something useful and if they're able to keep the same interest for four years straight.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 10:23 pm

sh!t.

should probably get rediagnosed and make sure i'm not an aspie.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 11:10 pm

That would be a good idea. I've been suspicious about you from the start. You're too competent :lol:

kineticwaves
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2018, 6:50 pm

I was told I was given an inquisitive mind, but even though I enjoy college, it does have some struggles. Grades do matter, but only to a certain extent and I'm not going to stress myself over getting the best possible grade. I think balancing work with play is important, especially because I have anxiety issues. I refuse to be unemployed and fall out of college. I do think that colleges are often times more hardwired for people who are NT.

When it comes to academic things, I have struggles with math (or maybe it was the way it was being taught and my sensory processing issues + feelings of overwhelm, because I got an A in it in highschool and it was the same material). I need to retake my math class. I do think it's important to have a solid grasp of certain subjects in life, and it is embarrassing if somebody asks you a standard question about the history of your country and you don't know the answer.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 7:19 pm

Between the autistic people I know from work and from my support group, I think 20% having degrees is about right. I don't know how far off that is from NT statistics, but it sounds normal.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 2:05 am

We live in an increasingly competitive world. Being part of the bottom 80% is not enough.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 2:57 am

a great failure in my life was in being totally at sea in college, not knowing what I was doing there, not knowing how to navigate it, not knowing the destination. I felt like a stranger in a strange land, everybody else had an agenda they were following to a T, and I was just wandering without a clue as to how to conform.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 3:04 am

College was the biggest waste of time for me.

Now I think my hope is getting help finding a job through some sort of service to help disabled people. I've contacted a place that seems to have programs that would help me so hopefully I will hear back and be able to go through their program. I mean some of it may be mudane and difficult but I need to do something for myself to try and get into the workforce to make more income. 730 a month really just isn't enough to pay bills and live on, if I wasn't living with my boyfriend I'd have to live at my moms house or in subsidized housing because there would be no way for me to afford rent myself on SSI otherwise. It's a struggle as is, this month I have roughly 7.00 a day after bills.

I have 220 left in savings, so if need be I can supplement it with that, but once that 220 is gone, its gone.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 3:35 am

after I failed at college, one of my profs saw me at work in a sheltered workshop [Goodwill] for intellectually disabled folk, and he wondered what in the hell I was doing there.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2018, 4:49 am

So first I was at the university I studied physics in a special group for gifted students. It's been noticed that something was "wrong" with me and I got so much help and support... but failed out anyway. Then there was 2,5 years when I had no idea what to do. Then I decided to return to a university to study just anything that at least has some math in it and I chose econometrics (was too ashamed to return to physics). In Poland it's 3 years of bachelor's equivalent and 2 years of master's and I'm on my first year of master's now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 5:00 am

I wish I knew how to be successful. :|

Photograph 51
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2018, 10:30 am

I have wondered if this school thing that I am doing is going to work out in the long run, but not going back to school wasn't working out, so going back to school seemed like the only choice that I had. Every job I have had has been tough for me, so I wanted to be able to get a job where I could make a lot per hour so I could work fewer hours because of the stress of working.

I'm sorry so many of you are having a hard time with school and work. It is really hard.

I am a student doing a research study on experiences of people who have tried to get an autism diagnosis as adults. Participating only involves filling out one questionnaire. If you are interested, please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Mar 2018, 10:38 am

apus apus wrote:
So first I was at the university I studied physics in a special group for gifted students. It's been noticed that something was "wrong" with me and I got so much help and support... but failed out anyway. Then there was 2,5 years when I had no idea what to do. Then I decided to return to a university to study just anything that at least has some math in it and I chose econometrics (was too ashamed to return to physics). In Poland it's 3 years of bachelor's equivalent and 2 years of master's and I'm on my first year of master's now.

The R course?
I guess half of the people there have more or less severe symptoms of ASD. And 1/3 of them have severe dysgraphia, based on checking their tests ;)
Pity you didn't come back. I did after falling out for 4 years, finished the MS and was offered grad studies. The Faculty of Physics is the most Aspie-friendly (and generally neurodiverse-friendly) place I know!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 2:44 pm

Where does the figure 80 percent come from?

Undiagnosed Aspies could not be taken into account