Feedback from Aspy's in or been to colleges

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2017, 3:30 pm

Where can I go to college and put effort into only the things I care about? What can I do to bypass writing to format? I have this problem where I write to simple and short (I tried learning on my own, copying text from books to no avail). I find myself struggling to squeeze out a paragraph or sound normal. What are your personal experiences at these colleges, that you don't like and like?

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2017, 6:54 pm

If you want a college degree, you will have to take the core required classes (just like high school -- math, language, science, etc). If you don't care about a degree, then you can enroll in whatever courses you want. You can have an undeclared major. Some schools require you to chose a major after a certain amount of time, but not all. Go to a community college & take classes, but some courses have prerequisites -- meaning they require you to have taken specific classes before you can enroll in that one, but sometimes you can get permission from the professor to sit in the class if it isn't full. Just look up the class, find the professor's email on their department faculty page, & ask them questions.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 9:45 am

College grad here.

Unfortunately every school has its core subjects that cannot simply be skipped over, and writing is one of them. As was mentioned previously, some courses (mostly intermediate to advanced) require that you have taken certain classes beforehand, and those classes can and do include core subjects. The only thing I think could possibly be done is if you had official documentation documenting a learning disability in writing. The school may be willing to drop *some* writing classes, however it is more than likely they will require you to take one or more classes that will fulfill the requirements of the one dropped. For example, I have a profusely hard time with foreign language, and my school required me to take language classes. I presented them with the documentation saying that I truly have a hard time with foreign language, and they substituted the language classes for two extra cultural classes. I had one class I took from community college applied to one, and I took the second class on campus.

While you really can't skip it, there are things that you could do to make the process not as difficult. See if your school has a disabilities office. If you have the proper documentation, you can get accommodations that can greatly help. I had extra time on tests, permission to record lectures, and for a time a designated seat at the front of the class so that I wouldn't miss anything.

Also see if your school has an academic tutoring center. I imagine that every school by now should have some variant of this. That was incredibly helpful for me with finding key information in textbooks and going over research papers I wrote.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2017, 10:56 am

:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.