Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2017, 7:18 am

Hiya I’m back after a long while. I’m on the cusp of finishing my masters degree.

So I got my provisional results for my masters yesterday and it says I’ve passed overall but the mark for my dissertation was 51 and the pass mark was 50. The marks are subject to review by the university exam board this week. Do you think there’s much of a chance that the board could lower my dissertation result and therefore fail me for the module therefore my masters?

its gonna be a stressful week waiting!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 2:12 am

Did you pass?

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2017, 12:36 pm

Yeah just barely passed dissertation and therefore passed masters :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 4:13 pm

Awesome!!

Laura Dean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2017, 4:55 pm

SandsOfTheSoul wrote:
Hiya I’m back after a long while. I’m on the cusp of finishing my masters degree.

So I got my provisional results for my masters yesterday and it says I’ve passed overall but the mark for my dissertation was 51 and the pass mark was 50. The marks are subject to review by the university exam board this week. Do you think there’s much of a chance that the board could lower my dissertation result and therefore fail me for the module therefore my masters?

its gonna be a stressful week waiting!

I work in a university and attend many exam boards so maybe I can help. There is nothing to worry about the exam board is essentially just validated the grade: a bit of a rubber stamp on it. They don't lower grades but they can (depending on the institution) raise them. For example, if you were near the borderline and had a 49 they can move you to a 50 and a pass. In your case there is nothing to worry about. If you've passed all your modules, even if you've just squeezed past the pass mark then you've passed.

Well done

Laura

loobyloukitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

I think they just have to check that the tutors marked the assignments correctly like they do with GCSES etc. I think more checking of plagiarism comes into play so it would only change if they disagreed with the tutors marking. Haven't done a masters though, only a degree.

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2017, 9:23 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone :) the results are now validated by the exam board and I graduate on 23rd November ;)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 12:12 am

Congratulations!!

Which field was it in?

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2017, 9:27 am

Thanks retro :) it was in culture and social policy in relation to urban regeneration. So that’s like can art programs, for example, help regeneration in poor areas of a city in relation to health, wellbeing, social capital job creation etc. It was also about place making, marketing and place branding in relation to how to generate a culture for an urban or public space as without culture and identity it’s just a bunch of buildings.

My dissertation was on the value of arts participation for autism. So it was like a how to guide for anyone who wanted to do an art project for autism and I broke it into chapters like what is autism? Art therapy for autism. Autism environment design (very new and interesting sector!) Art participation effects on health and wellbeing in relation to participants and their families.

Tbh I’m kinda of in withdrawal about it all. I need to find a job fast as my loan has run out but I know I won’t be able to find anything as mentally challenging or stimulating as what I’ve been writing and research these past few months,