Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 10:49 am

How do you address the intro of an email notifying a teacher from high school that you listed them as a reference for a job?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 12:16 pm

Well, you're supposed to ask the teacher first if he or she is willing to be a reference. Since you already referred, um, I guess you say: Dear Teacher, Because you have been such an excellent teacher for me, I hope you don't mind that I used you as a reference.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 12:42 pm

I was going to ask permission first, but my mother bugged me to just use them as references first and than tell them afterwards :roll:.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 12:47 pm

Subject: Job Reference for Peko

Dear Mr. Teacher,
I wanted to let you know that I put you down as one of my references for employment at Acme Inc. You were very influential to me in school and I thought you would not mind telling others about me.
Sincerely,
Peko

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 3:01 pm

Woah, definitely bad form. You should always ask a person's permission before listing them as a reference. It's not that hard to make a phone call and ask. :?

Since it's already done, I think you should make your email to your teacher as polite and apologetic as possible, or better yet, call them and explain the situation.

Apologise profusely for not asking their permission- after all, you're putting them out by making them craft some reference bull or talk to the employer over the phone. Don't be afraid to explain that your mum persuaded you to list them, and say that if they would rather not be listed, you can send another email to your future employer and remove them.

I would also start looking for another referee- just in case your teacher refuses/doesn't have time.

Edit: depending on how long ago you sent the CV in, you may be able to pretend to ask permission quickly before the employers ring. It depends on how quickly your teacher replies, and hopefully they will say yes, but that's pretty much your best bet. Otherwise, just be very apologetic.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 9:55 am

really? I never asked for people's permission to use them as a reference when providing them at the last 2 jobs I've had.