Is it illegal to try and remove graffiti from a stop sign?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 9:34 pm

There is a stop sign near my house and someone glued lettering on it that is offensive and vulgar. I wanted to remove it. Someone said he caught me on "camera" doing this. I was trying to scrape it off, I realize it might not have been wise, but is it really illegal to try and fix it? I feel that such will bring the value of my neighborhood down. I don't like it in my area. It irks me that I'm somehow the one who is trouble for trying to what is right. What is the law on this?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 9:37 pm

Have you tried calling the local government to report that the sign is vandalized so that they can fix it?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 9:46 pm

Legally, you cannot interfere with a regulatory sign.
You must refer it to local council or whoever it is in your country.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2017, 9:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Have you tried calling the local government to report that the sign is vandalized so that they can fix it?

I will do that. I thought I could simply remove it easily , but it was pasted on and became a mess. I hope I will not be held liable, but this has happened before and its getting annoying.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 6:32 am

It's best to report it to your local authorities in charge of things like road signs.

I wouldn't go near it personally, for fear of someone seeing me and thinking it is me who is in the process of defacing the sign.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 8:32 am

I think it is a public spirited thing to do... but sadly open to misinterpretation. So... full marks for trying, but probably best to report to your local authority.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

I see graffiti on almost every street sign now. It's usually a bunch of weird symbols that make no sense to me, but it's still stupid. Not long ago I actually saw an grown man trying to spray-paint something on the wall of the shopping center when I was about to go buy groceries. I think the cops arrested him. The guy must have had some sad mental problem if he's doing something like that.

But anyway, it's weird that it's illegal to remove graffiti from a public sign (without further damaging it, of course), when it's illegal to put it there in the first place.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
There is a stop sign near my house and someone glued lettering on it that is offensive and vulgar. I wanted to remove it. Someone said he caught me on "camera" doing this. I was trying to scrape it off, I realize it might not have been wise, but is it really illegal to try and fix it? I feel that such will bring the value of my neighborhood down. I don't like it in my area. It irks me that I'm somehow the one who is trouble for trying to what is right. What is the law on this?

...Did you see the documentary movie " Vigilante Vigilante "?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2017, 2:11 pm

ASS-P wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:

...Did you see the documentary movie " Vigilante Vigilante "?

Can't say I have...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 2:45 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
but is it really illegal to try and fix it? What is the law on this?
That is a question you need to ask the people who own the sign.
It would be interesting to put it to them as, "There's this stop sign here with vulgar graffiti on it and if it is okay I could save you the time trouble of removing it and just do it myself as an active and participating citizen."
Wonder how they would respond to that?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 3:12 pm

The ones here don't have graffiti on them,but some are full of bullet holes.
Not as many as before.Used to be you could drive sixty miles and not see one that hadn't been shot.