Do women dislike men with thinning hair?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CyborgSpaceKitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2017, 8:44 pm

Marknis wrote:
I am constantly wondering why women don't show any interest in me and why I have been turned down for dates by them as well. I sometimes wonder if my thinning hair makes me look unattractive. The men on my mother's side of the family lost their frontal hair in their early adulthood years which makes them all look a little older than they really are. Both of my brothers lack this hair thinning but I inherited the gene for it. Both my grandmother and my mother said they hoped I wouldn't inherit the gene but it happened. I used to have a full head of hair and now I look like I am prematurely aging. When others see pictures of me before the thinning, they tell me I look really young in them. When they see me now, I don't look so young anymore (I am 28, going on 29).

I've tried using minoxidil to see if I could stimulate my hair follicles but it didn't seem to work when I tried it. My mother also once gave me some medicine that did start to work but it contained estrogen and made me develop more feminine looking breast tissue. The swelling went down after I got off the medicine but even before that I had gynecomostia and I still have "man boobs", probably another thing that has stacked the deck against me. For a while my mother wanted me to undergo a hair transplant but I rejected the idea due to the time it would take as well as the fact they can lead to random bleeding.

I fear that even if I become more confident (A huge struggle for me), any potential girlfriend will reject me because of my thinning hair. Do women dislike thinning hair or is it just my fear taking hold of me?

Well I'm your age, so maybe I can help? I am 28, about to be 29, and I am dating a 30 year-old man who is a bit chubby and his hair has gone almost completely grey. (I call him my silver fox :heart: ) I find his chubbiness endearing because it makes him cuddlier to snuggle with the fact that he has a bigger build also makes me feel secure with him; like he can take care of me. He gets self-conscious because people say that his hair makes him look much older than he is, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I think he looks handsome, and you want to find a partner that will still find you attractive no matter how old you get; if you're looking to settle down with someone, that is...since ideally you'll be with this person until you're both wrinkly, old, and grey.

Not all women like the same thing, so don't let a few people (or your family) discourage you and break your confidence. My parents tell me all the time that they wish I hadn't received certain traits from them (I have a lot of visible broken veins on my legs that run on my dad's side, I have terrible vision, teeth, and a slew of mental health and digestive issues that I inherited.) It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you, they're just obstacles that you need to work around. I hope this helps some.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 9:21 pm

Personally I don't think thinning hair an attractive trait by itself, but I don't think this would necessary make someone unattractive for me. Actually, the guy I like has thinning hair (he has almost no hair in the back of his head) and I still think he looks great anyway (it's just a pity that he will eventually become bald because he has such a pretty hair).

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 6:12 pm

have you considered wearing a hat

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 7:58 am

seaweed wrote:
Marknis wrote:
I live in the Bible Belt and gender roles are strongly enforced here. Men are expected to be iron pumping alpha bad boys and women are expected to be silent subservient good girls. I don't necessarily think exercise is bad, I just think it's unfair to have your manliness guaged by the amount of muscle you have. I don't mind if women want to read or engage in arts; in fact, I would love a nerdy or geeky girlfriend. But I don't understand why so many women here feel like they have to limit themselves to be considered attractive to men. A lot of them think they are only good for clothes shopping, cooking, cellphone talking, gossiping with their friends, and expecting men to protect them even when their lives are endangered. A lot of women here also can't bear the idea of dating a non-Christian man, even if they are open to pre-marital sex. It's weird here, I know.

I would prefer a girl in her 20's but I wouldn't mind dating a woman in her 30's if she was nerdy or geeky. I sometimes also have the fantasy of being with an 18 year girl who sees me as an experienced older man but I can't hold my breath on it since I am isolated from youth culture. I sometimes get these fears that I'll have to settle for a grandmother age woman since I have had more women that age call me attractive than younger ones. :| I just couldn't do that. I don't find elderly women attractive and they tend to not share any common interests with me.

then your type isn't "a lot of women". have you tried meeting women in nerdier/geekier contexts? maybe thinning hair isn't your problem at all.

I've tried online dating, speed dating, and I tried asking two nerdy/geeky girls for coffee. Online dating was a waste of time, speed dating was extremely frustrating, and the coffee proposals didn't work out. The former girl told me she was married while the latter said she was "too busy".

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:27 pm

CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
Marknis wrote:
I am constantly wondering why women don't show any interest in me and why I have been turned down for dates by them as well. I sometimes wonder if my thinning hair makes me look unattractive. The men on my mother's side of the family lost their frontal hair in their early adulthood years which makes them all look a little older than they really are. Both of my brothers lack this hair thinning but I inherited the gene for it. Both my grandmother and my mother said they hoped I wouldn't inherit the gene but it happened. I used to have a full head of hair and now I look like I am prematurely aging. When others see pictures of me before the thinning, they tell me I look really young in them. When they see me now, I don't look so young anymore (I am 28, going on 29).

I've tried using minoxidil to see if I could stimulate my hair follicles but it didn't seem to work when I tried it. My mother also once gave me some medicine that did start to work but it contained estrogen and made me develop more feminine looking breast tissue. The swelling went down after I got off the medicine but even before that I had gynecomostia and I still have "man boobs", probably another thing that has stacked the deck against me. For a while my mother wanted me to undergo a hair transplant but I rejected the idea due to the time it would take as well as the fact they can lead to random bleeding.

I fear that even if I become more confident (A huge struggle for me), any potential girlfriend will reject me because of my thinning hair. Do women dislike thinning hair or is it just my fear taking hold of me?

Well I'm your age, so maybe I can help? I am 28, about to be 29, and I am dating a 30 year-old man who is a bit chubby and his hair has gone almost completely grey. (I call him my silver fox :heart: ) I find his chubbiness endearing because it makes him cuddlier to snuggle with the fact that he has a bigger build also makes me feel secure with him; like he can take care of me. He gets self-conscious because people say that his hair makes him look much older than he is, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I think he looks handsome, and you want to find a partner that will still find you attractive no matter how old you get; if you're looking to settle down with someone, that is...since ideally you'll be with this person until you're both wrinkly, old, and grey.

Not all women like the same thing, so don't let a few people (or your family) discourage you and break your confidence. My parents tell me all the time that they wish I hadn't received certain traits from them (I have a lot of visible broken veins on my legs that run on my dad's side, I have terrible vision, teeth, and a slew of mental health and digestive issues that I inherited.) It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you, they're just obstacles that you need to work around. I hope this helps some.

My therapist thinks the constant looking for a girlfriend may be what's keeping it from happening. I feel empty without one and I worry my time is running out or that I will be considered undateable for being my age and single without a deep history of romantic relationships. I have a lot of hard pills to swallow.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 11:39 pm

I have been told I look attractive but only by my mother, some female relatives, an internet friend who isn't interested in dating, and some people who think I look "normal" on the surface but don't realize that I suffer from shyness and anxiety. I wish prospective dating partners would tell me the same instead of "I am too busy" or turning me down silently on dating sites and speed dating sessions.

CyborgSpaceKitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2017, 5:41 pm

Marknis wrote:
CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
Marknis wrote:

My therapist thinks the constant looking for a girlfriend may be what's keeping it from happening. I feel empty without one and I worry my time is running out or that I will be considered undateable for being my age and single without a deep history of romantic relationships. I have a lot of hard pills to swallow.

Don't worry too much about your age. I'm 28 and in the middle of a divorce, and just started dating someone. You have time to figure things out still. And your counselor is right in a way. When I started with my divorce, I was afraid that I was too old to start dating someone and pretty much had just stopped thinking about it, when I went to a get-together where I ran into a guy that I had a crush on in high school and we've pretty much been inseparable since. Believe me, love can happen when you least expect it. It's just going to make you worry more and put too much pressure on things when you meet someone if you're too worried about making something out of the relationship immediately.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 7:27 pm

CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
Marknis wrote:
CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Don't worry too much about your age. I'm 28 and in the middle of a divorce, and just started dating someone. You have time to figure things out still. And your counselor is right in a way. When I started with my divorce, I was afraid that I was too old to start dating someone and pretty much had just stopped thinking about it, when I went to a get-together where I ran into a guy that I had a crush on in high school and we've pretty much been inseparable since. Believe me, love can happen when you least expect it. It's just going to make you worry more and put too much pressure on things when you meet someone if you're too worried about making something out of the relationship immediately.

Partly why I feel like I don't have time to figure things out is because it seems like couples pass me by every day and it makes me feel like the number of single women is decreasing all the time. I don't know if it's the depression I suffer from distorting my perception or if it's truly happening. I also don't know if anyone is single or not. I once asked a girl for her number and was told "I don't think my boyfriend would like that." after she heard me more clearly. Another told me she was married a little after talking to her. It's such a multi-pronged issue that I can't give it a singular explanation.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:25 am

Chapel wrote:
I got more attention from the ladies when I shaved my head bald vs when I had the lonely islands of wispy hair.
Been 5 years now. I don't do anything with the attention because I've been married for 17...

I've been shaving my head for years now, when the loss of the thatch on the roof started becoming more noticeable. I had had my hair closely trimmed when I first met my wife. Later, I decided to go all the way, and go with skin.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:29 am

CyborgSpaceKitten wrote:
Marknis wrote:

My wife says she likes cuddling with me because I'm a teddy bear type, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 5:59 pm

I'm short (5 foot 5), 56 years old, have thinning, gray hair, am chubby to fat. My BMI is about 29.

I haven't really had problems with women finding me attractive since I was about 25 or so.

What got me better "results" was not blatantly "seeking a girlfriend." When I "sought a girlfriend," I had girls go "ewww, gross, etc." When I talked to them like a friend, the disgusted responses stopped.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 9:48 pm

Marknis wrote:

Thinning hair is like all other hair. You need the right style for the hair you have. For some men, that would entail shaving it, but if I were you, I would see a stylist who could determine the best style for me.

nhtindia032
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2017, 12:53 am

Not only women, everyone dislikes men with hair thinning.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

All I have to say on thinning hair is this:

1. Bruce Willis
2. Michael Jordan
3. Samuel L. Jackson
4. Patrick Stewart

Ladies love the chrome dome.

I stayed in denial for quite some time, thinking, meh, ok, so it's thin up top. The sides are still thick, so let's keep those long locks...

Sorry, it just doesn't work. Not for me, anyway. About 3 or 4 years ago, my wife bought me some clippers as a gift. I cut my own hair with a #2 guard. It looks better, I feel better, and she loves it.

I struggle with weight. I keep it somewhat under control through diet, regular fasting, and now through exercise. Last week I started running TWICE a day, so now I'm up to nearly an hour a day of good cardio. I think I'll start weight training next week for the resting metabolism boost and to build up my upper body. Year after next I want to start doing sprint triathlons while training for olympic triathlons a year after that. 5-year plan is to work up to at least one marathon.

Thing is, most of my life has been sedentary. I'm nearly 40, so turning back the clock isn't a whole lot of fun. I just got such a huge confidence boost back in December when I ran a 5k for the first time. I took a few months off, but now 5k is my morning jog. It's romper room stuff now. I may run 1 or 2 more before I run my first 10k.

Dealing with health habits, thinning hair, etc... Look, as you get older, it only gets harder. I seriously considered wearing wigs, something outlandish and "artsy" so it would be obvious it's not my real hair just to make a statement. But nobody around here would get it. Lol So every month or two I buzz it. My body isn't adjusting to my running intensity as well as I'd like, but it will get there. I drink water like it's going out of style, indulge in alcohol (beer, and currently working through a small bottle of gin) only occasionally, and right now am avoiding caffeine despite how much I love coffee. I feel GREAT, even if my right leg is killing me today. I just remind myself that pain is only weakness leaving the body. My only regret is not having started this 20 years ago. If this helps my chances of watching my grandchildren grow up, then better late than never! Whatever you feel you need to do, don't wait to get started.