Sensory issues with professional attire

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nomral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 11:49 pm

I cannot STAND wearing anything with buttons, especially not polo shirts (even things that have collars but no buttons are pretty bad). It's hard to even look at them because I start feeling them on me from when I was forced to wear them in the past--it's hard to even THINK about them. This is one area where desensitization doesn't work--I'm ALWAYS going to be stressed out and in pain if I'm made to wear certain uniforms, especially those. It also activates a lot of my tics and it gets really hard to suppress them. But now, as I'm entering the "real world" of job stuff, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to avoid having to wear them, especially with uniforms for entry level jobs.

It's very important to me to have a job that doesn't damage my mental health. That being said, it's also very important to me to have a job, because that way I can support myself, and live alone, which is also important for my mental health. Argh, I put SO MUCH energy into my mental health. And one of the biggest factors in whether or not a job will work for me (and whether or not I'll do well in that job) is if the uniform works for me.

What are some ways around having to wear buttons in a professional environment? Is this something I should try to get disability accommodations for, or would that make me look bad to prospective employers? When I'm looking for a job I have to pretty much apply to whatever I can. I aim for jobs that will probably allow me to wear a t-shirt, but it's hard to completely screen out other jobs, especially when I need the money. So far, I've been able to mostly avoid them, even wearing a simple long sleeved shirt during interviews (and getting hired anyway!). But I've had a few times where I tried to work at certain jobs but had to leave due to my anxiety level, and the uniforms definitely contributed to that. And it's not just work that has that problem--I'll need SOMETHING to make myself presentable for interviews related to scholarship/university programs.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2016, 1:42 am

Have you tried wearing a t-shirt underneath the buttons?

nomral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2016, 3:20 pm

Yes, but I can still feel them through the shirt, and I still feel the collar, and I can see them. At this point, my OCD has latched onto my strong aversion to them and makes it difficult to even think about them.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 3:46 pm

You could wear sweaters. A long sleeve V-neck sweater with a tee shirt underneath is good enough for the office, and looks dressy with a blazer on top. Mock turtleneck jerseys are good if you want to look like an intellectual type (especially with a blazer on top!) Plain long-sleeve tee shirts are fine for casual Fridays. Only the fields of banking and law require the traditional suit and tie anymore.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 11:13 pm

nomral wrote:
Yes, but I can still feel them through the shirt, and I still feel the collar, and I can see them. At this point, my OCD has latched onto my strong aversion to them and makes it difficult to even think about them.

That's interesting! I have the opposite opinion about buttons- I love them! I think they look quite spiffy too. :D
But I also have PLENTY of items in my wardrobe that don't have buttons that I wear to work.... I LOATHE my work clothes, but they look neat and fashionable, the only problem is right now is that I have stuff that doesn't fit me well..... which drives me nuts...but that's a separate issue.
Something like this: http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Skinny-Ca ... gridsize=3
If you like the feel of silk lots of blouses come in nice buttonless designs. They wouldn't be very tight though- so if you like a tighter fit (like I do) might not be perfect. I know there are others... but I can't really think of them right now....

nomral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2016, 11:49 pm

Thanks! Those are good ideas--I was worried I was going to have to show up to interviews and jobs in a plain T shirt forever! My entire dresser is filled with nothing but T shirts (and underwear and socks and pants, of course). Now I know what to look for when I try to buy professional clothes.

taiwanluthiers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2016, 1:26 am

I hate professional attire for different reason... to me it represents repression.

Another reason is for some reason professional attire is very uncomfortable. It's like they designed it to act like plastic in hot weather and you'll be soaked in sweat in short order in anything above 80 degrees. Texas is hot so there's NO way I am wearing them unless someone forced me to do it at gunpoint. I rather take jobs that don't require it (and I sincerely hope Geology is one of them). I will tolerate polo shirts (or other collared cotton shirts) but I rather not wear them. I have to wear it at work though...

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 1:03 pm

If you try applying for jobs in smaller businesses, they tend to be easier to find no dress code. My job now is come in basically however. I had two jobs like that prior to this one. All smaller places, not big companies.

I hate having to buy special clothes for work, as it's a waste of money to me. I'll never use collard shirts in my day to day life. Ever. I need like one for god forbid a funeral or something. That's it.

DemonAbyss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2016, 2:29 am

I know this all too well. Professional wear has always made me feel all stuffy and claustrophobic. Not to mention overheating issues and fabric texture issues.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 10:08 am

I prefer buttons to anything I have to put over my head.

Though I don't have to wear professional suit and tie, sometimes I do wear the shirt and tie. The ties range from formal to Sponge Bob. Yes the latter has a square bottom edge.

Monkeydoo
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2016, 12:45 pm

Custom made clothes, perhaps? With super-soft fabrics that don't negatively impact your sensory system.

Expensive but maybe worth it.

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2016, 1:04 pm

Surely you could get away with a white shirt and a suit jacket/blazer over it? Not that I have much experience, so I'd suggest you just inform yourself about any possible dresscodes. It really depends on the company and even the country.

taiwanluthiers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2016, 1:07 pm

The problem is they need to see a collar, so if it doesn't have a collar they will see that it's fake.

I seen someone wear T shirts that have a collar though. Maybe that and a tie over it (or maybe a tie with a fake collar)

DemonAbyss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2016, 5:25 pm

taiwanluthiers wrote:
The problem is they need to see a collar, so if it doesn't have a collar they will see that it's fake.

^This sums up my biggest problem with formalwear. Collars don't simply just trigger the claustrophobic anxiety for me. For some weird reason wearing anything with a collar can trigger my gag reflex.

I suspect the whole needing a collar with formalwear is to symbolize that one is willing to be a slave, but that is just my interpretation of it.

JeanES
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2016, 11:20 pm

Would it make any difference if your shirts had buttons sewed on the outside... but actually fastened with snaps?

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 12:19 am

OP, what gender are you? If you are female there are more options.