Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 2:25 am

Tawaki wrote:
The two local mom and pop green houses/nurserys by me hire on sight. Meaning you show up, talk to the manager and get an application. They do nothing online.

A big chain place like English Garden does everything online.

If you are clean, on time, follow directions and don't steal, you shouldn't have problems getting hired.

Because they will ask...do you want to be a cashier, customer service or do you have experience handling plants? The green house places by me have at least those three jobs.

Well I do smoke cannabis, so wouldn't pass a drug test for that though I am in Colorado which has legalized it so its not necessarily something you'll get turned down for but still possible. That aside though I'd certainly go for working with the plants over customer service.

Though it occurs to me I should not limit myself to looking for greenhouse or tree nursery jobs, should probably be open to other ideas to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 2:31 am

JoeNavy wrote:
Since I retired from the Navy, I have held 6 jobs, but I have applied for hundreds. There are so many websites out there. Indeed is a personal favorite as I landed my last two jobs through it. There are several others such as http://www.monster.com, http://www.CareerBuilder.com, and http://www.simplyhired.com. There are a few that are tailored to the persons with disabilities market segment, they include http://www.disabilityjobexchange.com, http://www.gettinghired.com and http://www.abilityjobs.com.
If working for the government might appeal to you, there is also the Schedule "A" letter which will allow a person with a disability to get a noncompetitive appointment for a federal job and you can find out about that through https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/individuals-with-disabilities. Most state and local governments also have programs for hiring folks that are on disability.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

I will for sure check those out, the disability ones might be especially helpful but i'll probably try them all out...the more resources to look at the better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 4:54 pm

Ha ha, so I got an email from indeed with an employer contacting me about an opening. I can't take that one because its too far away mostly, but also it is full time and I think it would be a better idea to start with part time. But that's still pretty cool, I didn't think that crappy little resume I was able to come up with on there would actually interest employers seeking employees in the first place.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 8:29 pm

Hey, congrats on the response from an employer!

Keep plugging. I get that you need income right now, but if you can get voc rehab to pay for you to go to school for a specific skill, that will be a big help in getting work. Most of the jobs I have had were from having specific skills. I did do waitress work, mostly because my first job was at a friend's restaurant and I was perhaps a little sheltered there - and all subsequent school jobs were based on those skills. But I also had lab experience from college, which got me future jobs. Also I had typing, and later computer and word processing skills, and those skills got me jobs.

For nursery or greenhouse work, I would definitely show up in person and ask to speak to the manager, and be flexible about things like hours.

Looking to the future, do keep the names of companies, supervisors, even work friends, even after you have left a job. As you have learned, it makes things so difficult later to lack this information.

You can "summarize" short-term experiences by indicating "temporary casual employment included building wooden products, library assistant, waiting tables" and so on. It shows you haven't been completely idle but also shows you don't have sufficient duration to want to list the details.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 10:34 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Hey, congrats on the response from an employer!

Keep plugging. I get that you need income right now, but if you can get voc rehab to pay for you to go to school for a specific skill, that will be a big help in getting work. Most of the jobs I have had were from having specific skills. I did do waitress work, mostly because my first job was at a friend's restaurant and I was perhaps a little sheltered there - and all subsequent school jobs were based on those skills. But I also had lab experience from college, which got me future jobs. Also I had typing, and later computer and word processing skills, and those skills got me jobs.

For nursery or greenhouse work, I would definitely show up in person and ask to speak to the manager, and be flexible about things like hours.

Looking to the future, do keep the names of companies, supervisors, even work friends, even after you have left a job. As you have learned, it makes things so difficult later to lack this information.

You can "summarize" short-term experiences by indicating "temporary casual employment included building wooden products, library assistant, waiting tables" and so on. It shows you haven't been completely idle but also shows you don't have sufficient duration to want to list the details.

Well the last time I got fired I was too butthurt to get the specifics to list it as a past job experience, but even with just listing what I did without a specific company name I still got a couple responsed of employers intrested in possibly hiring me. I guess one issue is I want to do more labor work than customer service but a lot of job listings for more general labor want you to be able to lift 50 pounds...and well I am a small person and weigh 95 pounds so I know I can't be depended on to lift 50 pounds. But yeah seemed like putting what little experience I have sort of helped.

I am certainly pretty flexible on hours so whatever a job would want to give me would be just fine, so long as I can get there by bus on time. But yeah even if I cant accept all the responses it's nice to actually see that employers may be willing to hire me even with my sad amount of past experience.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 8:22 am

Sweet Pea...

Before you waste your time filling out apps for labor jobs, find out if the company does pre employment drug screening.

My BIL uses and has no card. He hasn't worked as a welder for two years because he can't abstain long enough to pass the test.

PP mentioned library job. All government jobs do pre employment drug screening. That specific library job, you have to be able to pass a physical lifting 50 lbs to get hired at my local library.

Sending good job seeking vibes your way! :heart:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 9:51 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Sweet Pea...

Before you waste your time filling out apps for labor jobs, find out if the company does pre employment drug screening.

My BIL uses and has no card. He hasn't worked as a welder for two years because he can't abstain long enough to pass the test.

PP mentioned library job. All government jobs do pre employment drug screening. That specific library job, you have to be able to pass a physical lifting 50 lbs to get hired at my local library.

Sending good job seeking vibes your way! :heart:

They usually mention on the application if there will be a drug test obviously if there is I would be less inclined to actually fill it out. But also my state has legalized it so its not quite so problematic as states that haven't legalized cannabis. Also I would not smoke cannabis at work unless it was like a headshop or something where everyone else would be doing it anyways.

I certainly cannot be depended on to lift 50 lbs, which unfortunatly it seems a lot of jobs list as a requirement...but like I am barely 5 ft tall and weigh 95 pounds so 50 lbs is a bit over half my body weight so yeah not a whole lot I can do about that. Also though as far as drug testing there is synthetic pee if it came to that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 1:37 am

Uhhh what am I going to do with no job history? I mean sure I have done job tasks but I have no past employers to list.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 12:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Uhhh what am I going to do with no job history? I mean sure I have done job tasks but I have no past employers to list.

Been there, done that.
In my case when I got my qualification, the course included supervised practice.
So we had employment history when we graduated.
And we could list our supervisors as work references.

For me that was very helpful.
They may have nursery courses that include a supervised work component but I don't know if that is a thing in the USA.

But if you're getting invitations to apply, then I would not worry about it too much.
If your resume was getting insta-shredded, I doubt you'd be getting offers to apply or to interview.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 8:56 pm

Alright so I had an interview today, from an application I sent in...and well a second interview has been scheduled so that is good. Though I still have my doubts of being able to keep up with the work and this and that...but it seems like they provide quite a bit of hands on training which I can usually learn quickly from, so it would help me get prepared. But yeah its a dish-washing job and there will be some other duties in addition mostly cleaning which I want to get more experience in anyways. I mean obviously its only a second interview so I haven't for sure got the job yet I don't think but If I do I suppose I can just give it my best effort and if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.

But seems like it would be a fairly good work environment, the interviewer stressed the fact that they have a no one left behind approach so they won't leave one employee staying late with a ton of stuff to do and they want people to have fun with it. I guess my main concern now is if I actually pass the next interview and beyond that, I just hope I don't run into major issues getting along with the co-workers, I admit I have anxiety about that. I will probably still keep browsing jobs in case this one doesn't work out, but if I get through the next interview than it probably will.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:34 pm

Dishwashing has a certain Zen appeal. Wear gloves.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:16 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Dishwashing has a certain Zen appeal. Wear gloves.

probably a good idea, though I don't wear gloves to wash dishes at my house...lol