Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 7:03 pm

My parents want me to drive for Uber. (An American service where you basically taxi people around in your car.) They have done it. I don't think it's a good idea for me. I've left every job I've ever had because of stress, and all of them was because I can't handle confrontation (and I don't mean being critiqued or having work reviews, I mean just talking to people. About anything.)

I have a license but I don't like driving. Never have. (But I love cars...:lol:) And I get very anxious going places I've never been, so I wind up getting lost and then that just makes me panic more.

Has anyone ever worked for Uber? What do you think of it?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 7:46 pm

I have never worked for Uber, but I drove a regular cab for a few years around the turn of the century. I have read a little about Uber and it looks to me like a decent company. If I remember correctly, you would be able to decide your own days and hours of availability...but then (and just like with any other job) you must accept fares assigned to you during those days and hours or risk being dropped by Uber. Overall, however, your mention of issues with stress, not liking to drive and anxiety in unfamiliar places or settings would make me doubtful about your doing very well as a livery driver.

crs927
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2017, 3:48 am

I wouldn't recommend it unless you feel like paying for all the wear and tear on your car. The money doesn't look to be worth it unless maybe you live in a a super big city like new york or something.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:34 am

What you said about stress and disliking driving would likely make the job dangerous for you. Maybe you should tell your parents that.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2017, 7:05 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
My parents want me to drive for Uber. (An American service where you basically taxi people around in your car.) They have done it. I don't think it's a good idea for me. I've left every job I've ever had because of stress, and all of them was because I can't handle confrontation (and I don't mean being critiqued or having work reviews, I mean just talking to people. About anything.)

I have a license but I don't like driving. Never have. (But I love cars...:lol:) And I get very anxious going places I've never been, so I wind up getting lost and then that just makes me panic more.

Has anyone ever worked for Uber? What do you think of it?

Yes. I did it in Chicago.

First I went downtown and kept rejecting fares because I was afraid and eventually I got so nervous I almost turned on an one way street.

I decided a week later to try it again I hadn't picked up anyone I finally did and got my first fare it was a rush!

I kept a five star rating for two months which was rare but back in 2013 when uber first came out here if you went under 4.7 as your rating you were kicked off.

I made some money and it's true once you start to make money it's hard to stop but yes the wear and tear will destroy your vehicle but just like a taxi job the longer you do the job the more money you will make to the point where it can be a good job.

Couple things though if your family is doing this make sure to get a mileage program and track everything and have a CPA so your taxes for a good refund.

I don't know you to know how your autism affects you in your personal life. I'd recommend do a trip a day until you get more comfortable

JT1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2017, 5:22 pm

OP from what you posted it may not be a good fit for you. It helps to love driving and meeting people.

munenmusou
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2017, 2:09 pm

I've avoided Uber because of the heavy social interaction required. As a contractor for the company you assume the bulk of the financial liability (insurance for your vehicle, wear-and-tear, health insurance, cost for your smartphone) and the pay you receive doesn't balance out the costs.

Uber is a company run by aggressive extroverts who are not looking out for their contractors and they will use any justification to burn them if it means making more money for the company. Management sets the tone for any organization and if you're on the spectrum you will be at a disadvantage when they manipulate you, even more so than the regular population.

The 'gig economy' is set to be especially hard on the disabled. I've been lucky to be regularly employed since a bit after college. Freelancing is one of my fears since one bad day can snowball into months if I'm only accountable to myself. Having somewhere to report to that gives me some latitude has been a boon.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2017, 10:19 pm

It's really not worth it. You will be making about minnium wage and you are constantly dealing with strangers who are likely intoxicated. That would make me very nervous since a lot of drunks are angry. I even saw a story online. Guy is way too drunk to explain where he needs to go so driver throws him out. Drunk guy then beats him up.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 4:53 pm

The video posted says it all. Thank you very much. In also agree with what munenmusou stated about Uber. When considering all the facts it almost seems like a slave contract. You have no protection for potentially dangerous work, are fully responsible for everything and are poorly compensated.

Fortunately my parents are not driving for Uber at the moment but I will talk to them about this if they ever consider picking it up again.

I never considered how gig work could be hard on the disabled but it makes sense. I figured out a long time ago that America caters to extroverts only so I can't say I'm surprised by any of this. And looking at it this way just confirms that this would definitely not be good for me.