Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2017, 4:58 pm

You take the time to fill out an application and submit a resume and these businesses never call you back. I am not the only one who has struggled to find work. My 16 year old sister and many of her friends have struggled to find work. I hear that youth unemployment is at an all time high right now. Even if these places do call you back after and schedule you for an interview, they never contact you after the interview. I also hear that employers are looking for skills rather than experience. Don't they realize that you have to start out somewhere? If they do hire you, they don't give you many hours. I also know several young people who do have jobs but don't work enough. What has happened to our economy? Why is it this difficult to find steady employment?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:56 pm

It depends on the company. Nowadays many job applications require email so if you don't get the job, you might get the standard rejection email which is something. There's seems to be less calling required as far as the job hunting goes.

As far as finding steady employment, believe me when I say it most of us had to work low paying, undesirable jobs for years before we were able to get something better. Unless you majored in a hard science, technical, or medical degree, you shouldn't expect to get a great paying job right away.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 2:39 pm

Ugh. One of my NT friends is job searching right now and having that very same problem. Personally, with the many means of communication available, I find it unprofessional at best for potential employers to not contact job applicants. Especially if the applicant makes it to the interview stage.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

I don't think it's you or your age, I think its just the economy. My dad has been looking for a job and gets few calls too. Often they don't even let him know if he got the job or not after an interview, which I find socially inappropriate of them, but I guess that's how it is these days. So don't take it personally.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:36 pm

You take the time to fill out an application and submit a resume and these businesses never call you back. I am not the only one who has struggled to find work. My 16 year old sister and many of her friends have struggled to find work. I hear that youth unemployment is at an all time high right now. Even if these places do call you back after and schedule you for an interview, they never contact you after the interview. I also hear that employers are looking for skills rather than experience. Don't they realize that you have to start out somewhere? If they do hire you, they don't give you many hours. I also know several young people who do have jobs but don't work enough. What has happened to our economy? Why is it this difficult to find steady employment?
__________________________________________________________________________________

unless they are telepathic, strangers on the internet could not correctly tell you why the employers did not respond to your job applications.

a job counselor said that nowadays, jobs get a lot more applications than they used to. sometimes the hiring manager does not have enough time or does not have the desire to respond to every application. sometimes they have other things to do. sometimes they do not want to respond to every application. sometimes there are just too many applications to respond to.

especially for large companies, oftentimes it gives an automated e-mail that said that they received your job application.

yeah i struggled to find work too. had a couple jobs. all minimum wage. and got fired. Actor (amusement park), data entry clerk, recordkeeping assistant, burger flipper (fast food).

so you are not the only one that struggled to find work.

if you have not already done so, get someone to improve your resume.

alternatively, get more work experience, by doing volunteer work.

once in a while, volunteer work leads to paying jobs.

not that often.

or volunteer work could lead to larger social networks.

join linkedin.

tell your acquaintences, friends, enemies, classmates, family that you are looking for a job. tell them to inform you if they hear of any jobs.

"Even if these places do call you back after and schedule you for an interview, they never contact you after the interview."

some of them phoned (or, more likely, emailed) me back to tell me they did not make the mistake of hiring my worthless corpse.

but almost all of them just ignored me afterward.

even if they told me they would contact me, regardless of whether they decided to hire me, they almost never contacted me.

at the end of the job interview, ask when you can expect to hear from them.

after that date arrives, follow up with an email or phone call.

quite frankly i would rather e-mail. paranoid/fear of their emotional response.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm

Companies get dozens of applications for every opening; they simply don't have the manpower to respond to everyone (although a blanket "thanks but no thanks" email shouldn't be too much to ask).
If you didn't get a response after 3 working days, assume the application to be denied and move on.

Also, throw out as many applications as you can muster, there is no shame in replying with a "I already got something" when you get several applications, and having to offer an alternative date for an application is not a bad thing either, if you already have another meeting set up; if anything, it improves your position since you are, apparently, in demand.

One thing if they do call back: don't sound too available, if they offer a date for a face-to-face meeting, don't respond with anything like "sure, i got nothing better to do", but reply with something to the tune of "yes, that fits my schedule".

The latter version isn't a lie, but the other side doesn't need to know that the schedule is empty.