Suggestions on volunteer work for an Aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2016, 8:55 am

Hello hello!

Anyone have suggestions on volunteer work suitable for an Aspie? Something I can do regularly, say once per week or fortnight?

How to approach organisations and increase my odds of getting a job?

I'm a bit picky about "getting my hands dirty". I don't mind, say, planting trees, gardening, or handling bugs or animals. However, I feel gross about handling garbage or second-hand goods used by people.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2016, 9:50 am

No, I don't have a suggestion for you, because it's totally your choice what you would like to volunteer with :D

Most people volunteer because they make new friends and meet people. You can try and see if an NGO of your liking has a local department near you. It's a good idea to go for something that interests you. Like I said, it's your choice and you should only commit yourself to something you have a good feeling about.

If you don't feel like going out, you can also try virtual volunteering. I do some translation work for the Danish autism organization, which is very nice and cosy work, sitting at home, drinking coffee and writing. And it looks good on my resume!

Last edited by ok on 02 Aug 2016, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 9:53 am

I been looking into animal shelters... I love animals, but can't have one at the moments.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:30 pm

i worked with NGO for 3 years.

They were heavily into cheating and everything looked hunky dory on top

then after i was thrown out i went to volunteer but they wont select me
they need people who are good in lying, cheating, manipulating

the govt is running with guns behind this NGOs

startide_rising
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2016, 11:38 pm

I like SH90's idea of volunteering at an animal shelter.

Also, how about volunteering at a library or a small community-oriented organic farm, if there's one nearby? I've actually volunteered on a farm and it can be pretty fun, especially if they let you have some say in what activities you do. I got to feed chickens and pigs, plant squashes, help make compost, and random other things. I also got some free food out of the deal, which was a nice perk. :D

Although, if you're hoping to use your volunteer work as a way to get a job, a farm probably isn't the way to go. You might be better off volunteering in a library or in the office of a non-governmental organization (NGO), as ok suggested.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 12:34 am

You can try researching the types of organizations which are in your area first. This can help give you an idea of the possibilities and which ones may have work which you may be interested in.
In terms of steps to help getting accepted:
you can try to find the contact information that a group has for a contact person. Then you could call or email them or something. Initial contact doesn't have to be to complicated. You can keep it simple by stating that you are interested the possibility of volunteering. Then depending on their responses you can move forward. Try to remember whatever key information they say about the process of volunteering and write it down when you get the chance. Then go through the process as best you can.
They may ask you some questions like why you want to volunteer or what would make you a good fit for it.
Try to do what you can to pre-think possible answers. Your past work your experiences can have things which involve similar skills and can be mentioned to help show qualification. Mention of skill strengths and enthusiasm can help.
A good way to discuss challenges or difficulties you may have, is to proceed by talking about a strength, and following the mention of challenge with ways you have gone about working to enact strategies to keep it from preventing your work.
If you are uncomfortable with looking people in the eyes in a conversation, just looking the direction of their face every one in a while usually gives a similar impression as looking in the eyes does.
Also, it is a good idea to try to ask questions when one can, in order to get more details on the job and the ways of going about to seek to get it.
Another thing is to try to keep calm, and try to maintain self confidence. As not doing so can cause one to trip over oneself.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 8:37 am

Depends on what's available in your area. Once I'm fully adjusted to my job I plan on doing some clerical volunteering through a local hospital, as well as food bank.

It's hard to be specific with the aspie thing, since some of us are more social and others aren't. I'm one of the social ones personally, so I like being around people.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 8:59 am

Is there a community garden nearby? I'm a lot of gardens could use someone who makes sure the plants get watered regularly.

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2016, 10:43 pm

Yes, these are great ideas thank you. I don't like the idea of having to travel far in order to do volunteer work (if I had a paid job in the same area, then it probably wouldn't be such a big deal)

I'm not very social. So that may limit the kinds of tasks people will accept me for.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 6:29 am

The club on voluntary society is pushed to near breaking point by all the over fifties and up who feel they deserve to be given the roles more. I have to say I'm ageist in matters that require total input and not just one sided views on position.
You're not getting paid so why on earth does travelling far matter to the likes of the said' organisation? You put your neck on the line taking you far away from what you know to put yourself into unfamiliar surroundings.

I'm sorry if my words sound dour, I too am trying to throw myself quite unexpectedly and realistically into makeshift roles that my former generation would be proud of.
This makes me sound older and wiser beyond personal doubts of a discredited nature.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

One of my favourite kinds of volunteer tasks, but that ask a lot of dedicated time especially as I'm often alone working on it : building websites, blogs, building and maintaining walls on social networks. But I strongly recommend to be two persons working on it, because if you're the only person who can rescue the database when the server is crashing, sometimes in the middle of the night, it's a bit discouraging at times. Extremely rewarding though.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2017, 10:50 pm

I just started volunteering at an animal shelter this last week, and I really like it so far.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2017, 7:11 pm

In high school I volunteered at the local library, mostly shelving and sorting books. I loved it, even considered going into library science for a career.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:43 pm

I've done volunteer work as a gardener for one of the city parks in my area, and they let me set and log my own hours. Very independent. Some cities might have similar options.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 1:40 am

I guess I don't see much point in volunteering for experience, I mean if you have the means and time to donate your time or money to a cause more power to you...but if you need to survive you need a paid job, best to just get paid work, volunteering doesn't get you a job. Just apply everywhere and take whatever you can get initially and go from there.

Ok maybe don't take that advice because I don't know if it works yet, but that is what I am trying to do...to get off SSI and maintain income after that. I just hope with some job experience it can help me move up to better things, I am a dishwasher currently...and not a bad job, certainly gross sometimes but not as much as interacting with customers.