Feeling overwhelmed with too many things to do

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2017, 2:17 am

Maybe this can help someone. I feel overwhelmed easily when I feel like I have too many things to do. One day I decided to write down all of my projects that I was feeling overwhelmed about. I could only think of about 3 or 4 things, and they were manageable. I expected there to be many more things but there wasnt.

So, if anyone else feels overwhelmed with too many things to do then try writing them all down to see if really its not that much.

mpage1950
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2017, 5:05 pm

Thanks billegge, this is really helpful advice.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

Yes, if can make a list so you can concentrate on one thing at time it becomes more manageable.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2017, 6:34 am

So true. I started making lists like this just a few weeks ago, and it's all a little easier to handle now. Most of all, it helps me remember to eat and brush my teeth.
Wish I figured this out sooner.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 6:50 am

Lists help me too. Only problem is that when I'm feeling most overwhelmed, then that's when I find it difficult to break down projects. At least in the short term, the process of breaking down the projects makes me more overwhelmed and anxious. Sometimes I can't seem to get motivated to deal with it and I put off the project(s) instead. Any thoughts relating to or overcoming this?

^How do lists help you to remember to eat or brush your teeth? :?

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2017, 7:47 am

Oh I just write down every single tiny step. Otherwise I'll forget it.
Today's morning-list was
1. Turn on radiator
2. Take out trash
3. Eat something
4. Clean the table
5. Brush Teeth
6. Work-clothes on
7. Turn off radiator
8. Work (which has a whole list of it's own)

It's kind of time consuming to make these lists, but they make sure everything gets done.
I get how it can be really overwhelming. Just seeing all the steps on my list can make me nervous. But now that I've had the list and followed it for a while, it seems less and less overwhelming for every day, and it's easier to remember that it really only takes half an hour.
Once I've turned the radiator on and can cross it off the list, even if it's the tiniest thing, it gives me a small sense of accomplishment, and that makes me less anxious and more motivated to go through the rest.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 8:19 am

^You're right, crossing things off my lists does feel good in the moment for me also. I feel like I'm moving forward and doing my part in life. I need to anticipate those good feelings when I'm overwhelmed with projects or with two many things to do in general.

With the half-hour routine you described, is it that the list literally helps you remember the steps until the routine becomes automatic? When that happens, will you still use the list?

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2017, 10:39 am

Hmm.. I'm not sure. I guess I haven't used it for long enough to find out. But it makes sense that it should become automatic after a while. Right now, I remember all the steps on the list, so I don't have to look at it to know what to do next. But I wouldn't call it automatic, as I'm thinking of it a lot. Like "Ok, radiator on. Next, trash, and after that I eat".